Possible float level issue?

Got questions? We got answers....
Ed5786

Possible float level issue?

Post by Ed5786 »

In last weeks unusually warm weather, I finally got to get out and put some miles on my newly rebuilt 200. First off, bike is awesome. It's my first KDX and also first 2 stroke. I really only had one issue. After running hard, or getting. But if air where she'd freewheel, if I came back down to an idle it a hurry, and then back on the gas, like in a hair pin turn where I'd have to clutch, it seemed starved for fuel. A lean bog and want to stall. Could this be a float issue? The bike is a 98, fresh top end, boyesen 607's, gnarly desert pipe. 42pj, 154 main, and mixture screw was about 2.5 turns out. Also running a DEL needle, middle clip position. Air temp between 45 and 50 degrees, lots of humidity. Thick fog actually at 700 feet above sea level. Throttle response was pretty good normal riding, very strong mid and top end. This only occurred after being run hard on a straight and then stopping for tight turn, or through the sand woops.
1998 KDX200
Fmf gnarly woods
Boyesen reeds
13/49 gearing
Friedom
Supporting Member I
Supporting Member I

Re: Possible float level issue?

Post by Friedom »

Could check your fuel delivery and make sure it's sufficient to keep up with demand from the engine. Inline fuel filter?

"Fun Wheel Drive"
Ed5786

Post by Ed5786 »

That was another thought. There is a fuel filter, and it's a 90 degree elbow type from a hardware store. The filter element is sitting horizontally.
1998 KDX200
Fmf gnarly woods
Boyesen reeds
13/49 gearing
John_S
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by John_S »

The quickest test in my opinion is the air screw. Yours is at 2 1/2 out. With it fully warmed up roll along in first gear at basically a walking pace, just before it's going to stall, and whack the throttle. If it lean bogs, try 2 out, even 1 1/2 just to see what it's doing. I can turn mine to 2 1/2 out and it will lean bog off idle, 2 1/4 and its a quick stutter and then goes, at 2 out it cranks the front end up instantly.
Friedom
Supporting Member I
Supporting Member I

Post by Friedom »

Ed5786 wrote:That was another thought. There is a fuel filter, and it's a 90 degree elbow type from a hardware store. The filter element is sitting horizontally.
Does it have the brass filter element or something like paper? I've got a much of fuel filets around that I won't trust on a bike. If it's not purpose built for this, it's very likely not giving you the steady flow you need.

"Fun Wheel Drive"
bufftester
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by bufftester »

I've never been a believer in inline fuel filters on dirt bikes, just seen more problems with them than without.
KDXGarage
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by KDXGarage »

Is there not an in tank fuel filter?
Thank you for participating on kdxrider.net. :bravo:
To post pictures from a device: viewtopic.php?f=88&t=24128
bufftester
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by bufftester »

unless it has been damaged or removed, yes the stock petcock has a strainer on the outlet. I have never heeded anything more than that in over 40 years of riding and racing.