Help with rear shock please!

Got questions? We got answers....
Rubicon79

Post by Rubicon79 »

First thanks for all the great information here. I've been working on getting my 2001 KDX 200 back in good condition.

I took the rear shock out and sent it to the local Suspension shop for a rebuild. Of course all the linkage and swingarm bearings were bad too...

The problem is the suspension guy says my shock body is too bad to rebuild. Where can I get a new shock?? I've checked eBay but the ones there don't look much better than mine. Any other options or suggestions?

Thanks
KDXGarage
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by KDXGarage »

Rubicon79 wrote:First thanks for all the great information here. I've been working on getting my 2001 KDX 200 back in good condition.

I took the rear shock out and sent it to the local Suspension shop for a rebuild. Of course all the linkage and swingarm bearings were bad too...

The problem is the suspension guy says my shock body is too bad to rebuild. Where can I get a new shock?? I've checked eBay but the ones there don't look much better than mine. Any other options or suggestions?

Thanks
First, welcome to the forums.

Second, thank you for posting which year and model your KDX is. If you could, please go to your profile and put your country, thanks.

He is looking at the inside of the body. What he is seeing is not what you can see on eBay, though some that look rough on the outside, may look rough on the inside. Your main option is going to be buying a used one off eBay and hoping you get a good one. I can't imagine there being mostly damaged internals.

Someone rode that one with a blown seal / no or low oil or something of that sort to damage the body, I would assume.
Thank you for participating on kdxrider.net. :bravo:
To post pictures from a device: viewtopic.php?f=88&t=24128
Jim B

Re: Help with rear shock please!

Post by Jim B »

This one's cheap: http://www.ebay.com/itm/KAWASAKI-KDX220 ... fj&vxp=mtr Maybe the inside of the shock body looks better than the outside? :? Maybe not, since the shaft has so much wear on it. FYI, a 220 shock would work for your bike. I see some (well, at least one) on there that look decent, but they're a bit pricey. Check craigslist, too.
Rubicon79

Post by Rubicon79 »

Thanks and I'm in good ole Alabama USA. I think I updated that in my profile.

FRP quoted me 300 for a good used shock but that seemed a little high.

Isn't 96-2006 the rear shocks are all the same?
Jim B

Post by Jim B »

'95 to '06 are the same between the 200 and the 220. I see some decent-looking ones on eBay, BTW. I wouldn't be afraid to make the seller an offer if you find one you like.
KDXGarage
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by KDXGarage »

I am in AL, too.

Yeah, look for 1995 - 2006 KDX200 and 1997 - 2005 KDX220R.
KDXGarage
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by KDXGarage »

Jim B wrote:This one's cheap: http://www.ebay.com/itm/KAWASAKI-KDX220 ... fj&vxp=mtr Maybe the inside of the shock body looks better than the outside? :? Maybe not, since the shaft has so much wear on it. FYI, a 220 shock would work for your bike. I see some (well, at least one) on there that look decent, but they're a bit pricey. Check craigslist, too.
With the shaft worn like that, the body most likely is damaged.

With that said, if you (OP) don't want that one, I am going to buy it for parts. Thanks.
Rubicon79

Post by Rubicon79 »

I made an offer on ebay for one. Hopefully it's in good enough shape.

Sometimes it's just disheartening every time I go to fix something it leads to 10 other things that are wore out. This bike stopped being a good deal a while back but I just like the old bike.

I'm gonna pass on that one so help yourself.
KDXGarage
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by KDXGarage »

Good luck.

After looking at it again, I am going to pass, too. Other parts look rough, too. Poor shock. :oops:
19Delta
Supporting Member

Post by 19Delta »

I wonder if a KTM shock would work? I have an 06 complete rear shock that is in good working order, and I'm sure it would be a huge improvement! I'll do some measuring.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
19Delta
Supporting Member

Post by 19Delta »

Nope, definitely not going to work. I think I remember reading about guys using a Suzuki RM rear shock... I believe it had a bit more travel.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk