Adages

Got questions? We got answers....
canyncarvr
Gold Member
Gold Member

Adages

Post by canyncarvr »

What makes one? Obviously something that is true all the time, or so often that it should be in the 'handbook' for how to DO stuff.

Here's an mechanical adage for 'ya:

Fix What You Know is Broke! :wink:

The general idea of that is to resolve obvious problems even if they don't seem to apply at all to what you're trying to fix. You may be surprised to find an interaction between the two that you hadn't considered.

I've put off repairing my RH subport drum for a l-o-n-g time. The bike still worked fine, no big deal. Finally took the time to get it done Saturday. Sunday's ride (with it working) was such a treat!! Incredible. Obviously I'd forgotten how good it could run!

Another, 'It's NEVER run this well!!' moment. Actually, considering that the valve probably blew out coincident with the last cylinder work (port/replate)..I may well have never run it with both valves working until yesterday.

YeeHAw!! What a machine!!

After seven years and many thousands of miles..my 'lil green bike can still amaze me.

Cheers!

Consider the source
Using a perceived level of knowledge to boost my self worth.
Non impediti ratione cogitationis

bike profile: !clicky!
bradf
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by bradf »

As far as these green bikes go, here's one: "You shouldda done that mod a long time ago so you couldda enjoyed it all this time" This goes along the RB mods, the pipe, the reeds, the steering dampner, and the yet to come KX forks. I am so glad I spent the money soon into riding this and did the mods I did early on. I definitely would have gotten the steering dampner sooner, maybe even before I got the bike... Now it just the KX forks left.
'04 220 w/'01 KX250 USD forks, '02 RM125 Showa shock, Rekluse EXP 3.0, LHRB & all RB'd
Blazing Basqueo

Post by Blazing Basqueo »

Funny thing about adages, as you journey through life, many of those same old axioms still seem to ring true!
Growing up in a very rural invironment as I did, my up bringing was replete with old maxims and proverbs. Amazingly, as I went on to college and entered the realm of academia, I found that most of these still stand.

Unfortunately, my favorite one..."if it ain't broke, don't fix it" is not relevant when applied to dirt bikes! :?
KanuckKDX

Post by KanuckKDX »

>|<>QBB<
Blazing Basqueo wrote:Funny thing about adages, as you journey through life, many of those same old axioms still seem to ring true!
Growing up in a very rural invironment as I did, my up bringing was replete with old maxims and proverbs. Amazingly, as I went on to college and entered the realm of academia, I found that most of these still stand.

Unfortunately, my favorite one..."if it ain't broke, don't fix it" is not relevant when applied to dirt bikes! :?
Bikers on another site updated this one with a little humour intended
"If it ain't broke, fix it 'til it is".

Given the predilection bikers have for modifying a bike, it rings true at times. One mod begets another. E.g. improve airflow then rejet. And then we toy with sprockets, suspension, and the beat goes on.
KanuckKDX
'01 YZ426F son's
'02 XR400 still for sale
'04 KTM 450exc it's all about the e-start
hoodoo

Post by hoodoo »

Gees CC,
I cant believe that you of all people havent fixed that before now.
Now forget about it and go ride! If you didnt know already the bike flat out rocks when all things are right with the universe.
00 kdx 200, the usual mods
99 CR 80 -sons
04 TTR 125- wifes
ZZR 600- wifes
ZZR 1200- mine (crashed and gone)
canyncarvr
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by canyncarvr »

Not sure who you of all people is... :neutral:

I guess we know now it ain't me!!

A couple of other effected items....

The bike starts much easier now. Hot and/or cold.

It doesn't idle for diddle. Idle adjustment has no effect. Maybe that's when the valve blew out. There was a time when it didn't idle for diddle same as now (valve OK?)...and 'all of a sudden' that problem mysteriously disappeared, idle and idle adjustment was fine (valve out?).

Yeah. Worry less. Ride more. THAT'S what took so long to get it fixed! :shock:

Consider the source
Using a perceived level of knowledge to boost my self worth.
Non impediti ratione cogitationis

bike profile: !clicky!