New EBC Clutch?

Got questions? We got answers....
rehammer81

New EBC Clutch?

Post by rehammer81 »

Hello. I'm trying to install a new EBC clutch kit into my 97' KDX 220. I bought the kit from Rocky Mountain ATV. It is supposed to be the correct kit for my model year bike. Everything has gone together perfect until I got to the springs. The EBC springs that came in the kit are longer and have noticeably closer coil spacing then the OEM springs I am replacing. The OEM springs measured about 37mm in length. The EBC springs are about 39mm. The big issue is coil spacing. When I torque the springs down to the manual spec of 8.8 N-m the new EBC springs appear to be completely compressed with no more compression available to disengage the pressure plate when the clutch lever is pulled. It is very obvious the OEM springs leave plenty of compression space left for this. The EBC springs just don't seem right to me. Rocky Mountain has confirmed they are supposedly the correct part number for the KDX 200/220. I haven't just installed it in the bike to test because I really don't want to take the bike apart a second time. Has anyone else installed an EBC clutch kit? Is this how your new springs were? Any help would be greatly appreciated. This is my first dirt bike and first clutch replacement so I'm definitely a rookie. Maybe I'm missing something. Everything is installed properly according to the manual. I did remove the judder spring ring from the clutch hub per Rocky Mountain's instructions for installing an aftermarket clutch.

EBC on the left. OEM on right.

OEM springs installed

New EBC springs installed
Tedh98
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Re: New EBC Clutch?

Post by Tedh98 »

I had that same problem with some HD springs I tried out. I returned them.
bufftester
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by bufftester »

I have never used the EBC springs because of this issue.
rehammer81

Post by rehammer81 »

I see people say they are using an EBC clutch kit all the time in their KDX but I don't see complaints about the springs. Maybe it looks worse then it is and it does actually work. Just doesn't look right. Looks like the springs will be completely bound up. Rocky Mountain and EBC say these are the correct springs for a 97' KDX 200/220.