KIPS Question - O-Ring on Valve Rods

Got questions? We got answers....
Willbilly

Post by Willbilly »

Bike: 2002 KDX 220

Are the grooves for the right exhaust sub valve shaft and right exhaust valve shaft meant to receive O-Rings? The cyclepedia manual reads like it is meant to. None of the parts diagrams I have looked at show an O-ring. It just looks like a groove to help me identify right and left shafts.

Last edited by Willbilly on 05:42 pm Jan 10 2017, edited 1 time in total.
Tyl3r
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Re: KIPS Question - O-Ring on Valve Rods

Post by Tyl3r »

I could be misreading, but I don't know exactly what you are asking... but what is shown there is correct. Only the right one has an o-ring on it. As for the size of that o-ring, I couldn't tell ya. I am wondering if it what is referred to as the "packing" on the diagram?
04/05 KX220 Hybrid all decked out
18 KTM 500 EXC-F Dual Sport/Sumo toy
24 KTM 300XC-W Cheater bike
Willbilly

Post by Willbilly »

Tyl3r wrote:I could be misreading, but I don't know exactly what you are asking... but what is shown there is correct. Only the right one has an o-ring on it. As for the size of that o-ring, I couldn't tell ya. I am wondering if it what is referred to as the "packing" on the diagram?
Is there an O-ring for the two right shafts? I cannot find a parts diagram that shows one. My guess is that they are calling that groove an O-ring.
Tedh98
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by Tedh98 »

Tyl3r wrote: I am wondering if it what is referred to as the "packing" on the diagram?
You are correct.
doctord23
Supporting Member

Post by doctord23 »

Neither sub-valve has an o-ring. The groove is for identification purposes.
Only the right actuator shaft has an o-ring because it is on the kips gear (open) side and could be a vacuum leak if it didn't have one. At least that's my opinion why it has one anyway.
My Team Green:
2002 KX-KDX 220
2000 KDX 220
2003 KLX 300 DS
1988 White KDX 200C3
1984 KX500 (original owner)
1996 Honda Magna V4
2017 Honda Africa Twin DCT
bufftester
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by bufftester »

doctord23 wrote:Neither sub-valve has an o-ring. The groove is for identification purposes.
Only the right actuator shaft has an o-ring because it is on the kips gear (open) side and could be a vacuum leak if it didn't have one. At least that's my opinion why it has one anyway.
That's my understanding as well. Only 1 O-ring.
Willbilly

Post by Willbilly »

Thank you all for the answers. I assume the o-ring comes with the shaft and not as an option to purchase individually.
Tyl3r wrote: I am wondering if it what is referred to as the "packing" on the diagram?
What do you mean by the "packing on the diagram"?
doctord23
Supporting Member

Post by doctord23 »

It's just an o-ring and I believe it does come in a head gasket set.
If not, any auto parts or hardware store or even Home Depot should have it.
My Team Green:
2002 KX-KDX 220
2000 KDX 220
2003 KLX 300 DS
1988 White KDX 200C3
1984 KX500 (original owner)
1996 Honda Magna V4
2017 Honda Africa Twin DCT
pumpguy
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by pumpguy »

When buying O rings for a bike engine, be sure they are VITON or Buna material. Common hardware store O rings are Neoprene which is not suitable for exposure to petroleum based products. VITON is good for 400 degrees F, while Buna is only good for 225 degrees F.

Back before around 1950 or thereabouts, pump shafts and similar connections were sealed with a packed stuffing box arrangement. The "packing" was rings of fiber rope type material, compressed with a "gland" pulled in with a pair of studs and nuts, or sometimes in the form of a compression "gland nut".

Today we have O rings, lip seals, and spring loaded mechanical seals. however the term "packing" is still applied to O rings and similar modern seals.
Tyl3r
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by Tyl3r »

Willbilly wrote:Thank you all for the answers. I assume the o-ring comes with the shaft and not as an option to purchase individually.
What do you mean by the "packing on the diagram"?
This-> http://www.ronayers.com/oemparts/p/kawa ... 76/packing

On this diagram, it is number 43049 -> http://www.ronayers.com/oemparts/a/kaw/ ... d-cylinder

Thanks for confirming Ted!
04/05 KX220 Hybrid all decked out
18 KTM 500 EXC-F Dual Sport/Sumo toy
24 KTM 300XC-W Cheater bike
Tedh98
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by Tedh98 »

It has been a while since I have looked at that, but I am fairly certain that it's not even an O-ring shape. I believe if you looked at a cross-section of the "packing" it is flat on the top and may even have a groove going down the center.

I'm sure if you ran an appropriate o-ring on it it would be just fine. Some people remove the "packing".