Seat foam and rocky hill help

Got questions? We got answers....
El Gran Jamon

Post by El Gran Jamon »

Been putting the miles on the 1990 Kdx lately, a couple questions..

1. Realize seat sucks. Seems made for someone much lighter than me, and my Alaska leather pad doesn't help enough. I have seen two companies dealing with this old bike, Ceet and hi flite th y are the same address, assume same company. Is the taller foam by an inch or half inch a good deal? I weigh 200 lbs and is the gripper by ceet preferered to the Hi Flite with green vinyl?

2. Having trouble getting up snotty, rocky, sandy hills I have no issues with on a xr250r/280. Debating whether to put a flywheel weight on until I learn better what to do? Suggestions on using then2 stroke?

Otherwise better in most places than the xr, the suspension for sure is an upgrade.(mine has 41 mm usd forks)

Thanks

Jamon
bufftester
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Re: Seat foam and rocky hill help

Post by bufftester »

Can't help on the first, but on the second what works for me is line choice and controlling wheel spin. 2Ts by nature are going to spin the wheel more easily in low traction conditions. Thats where learning good clutch control and riding smoothly pay off.
IDRIDR
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by IDRIDR »

Foam wears out over time.
I picked up my new foam and cover from guts racing https://www.gutsracing.com/searchresults.asp?cat=2156
The Hardcore Gripper cover works well for me.
My first Guts seat was on the '06 KLX250 where I did the tall with soft foam. I didn't like the soft and switched to medium and like it. The KDX has Guts medium foam in stock height.
2003 KDX 220. RB Carb & Head Mods. Desert pipe. She's a runner!
2006 KLX 250 w/351 big bore. A well-sorted dual sporter.
2006 KLR 650. Mostly stock.
2014 Suzuki DL1000.
Tyl3r
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by Tyl3r »

I try to use momentum when I can for those kinds of hills. Line choice and standing up leaning forward a bit help too. And of course as bufftester said...clutch control is huge
04/05 KX220 Hybrid all decked out
18 KTM 500 EXC-F Dual Sport/Sumo toy
24 KTM 300XC-W Cheater bike
spl383
Supporting Member I
Supporting Member I

Post by spl383 »

If you send gutsracing your seat pan, they will install the new pad and cover free.
El Gran Jamon

Post by El Gran Jamon »

Thanks,
Wish I knew that about guts.
I ordered a hi flite seat, tall, medium foam, in original blue color.

Hills? I'm going to need practice, practice, practice. Lack of flywheel weight ... stuff easily done on snotty hills 4 stroke I'm going to need practice. Great bike everywhere else compared to an xr.
JL4049

Post by JL4049 »

For snotty hills, I've found riding a gear higher and slipping the clutch helps reduce wheel spin, being a gear up helps to get momentum up too when there is a section with some grip. A flywheel weight would probably help some but I won't do it as it will take away the instant snap that I need for the tight singles with logs etc. my gearing is also lowered from stock, to 13/50
El Gran Jamon

Post by El Gran Jamon »

Thanks,
More seat time is probably in order. I do pretty good on the ktm sxc, prior xr600 and xr250r..got to time clutch slip better. Wheelies aren't aseasy to time either, there's a one second or so hesitation b4 the kdx gets with the power program for log hops..I need to play with fuel screw or reeds.

So far, if you're going less than 50,55 mph, and less than 100 miles this bike is it. Real keeper.