Top End Squeal?

Got questions? We got answers....
chris_psmith

Top End Squeal?

Post by chris_psmith »

Just took my 98 KDX220 (picked it up on saturday) out on the track after welding the output sprocket on (see earlier note!), good news is that the sprocket held, but after 6 laps a squeal started from the top end somewhere, sounded like it was over heating at first but listening too it after i got off the track it sounds like the top end, anyone got any ideas? Its worth pointing out that it is fitted with an autolube for the 2 stroke and looking at the bottle the bloke gave me he has been using pre-mix instead of injection mix, unsure if that makes a difference but I guess it must or they wouldn't sell the two types. After 8 years of owning a kdx200 (89) that never let me down, I am starting to wish I had kept it! buyer beware I guess. :prayer:
Indawoods
Creator and Founder
Creator and Founder

Post by Indawoods »

Better just premix your gas....

The squeal is proly a main bearing.... like I said... better start using premix..... :shock:
*** Administrator //***
****'95 KDX 200/****

"People ate cows a thousand years ago for the same reason we eat them now. Cause they are easy to catch.We're not savages,we're just lazy. A cheetah could taste like chocolate heroin. But will never know. Those bastards are fast!!! "
IdahoCharley
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by IdahoCharley »

The autolube the type that injects oil into the gas/air mixture at the carb?

FWIW - I'm thinking like Indawoods with the auumption that there is not too many items (that I can think of) that would squeal if your pulled off to the side of the track and have the trans in neutral with the clutch lever out and listening to the engine squeal - other than main bearings. Possibly a loose flywheel against the stator or case. :sad:
KTM 380EXC Mine
KDX 200 Mark's
TTR 125 L Wife's
KDX 200 Austin's
EC 300 Tyson's
WR430 Husky - mine
chris_psmith

Post by chris_psmith »

Yes the autolube injects into the rubber joint between the carb and cylinder, I have a suspision that the pre-mix may be thicker than the injector mix, I will need to get some and see, I guess along with the trans shaft issue I am heading for a full rebuild! I will try pre-mixing next time I am out and see what it is like, first race is end of march so I will try and get a track sesion before then.
Ta for the help, any idea of expected time to destruction after a squealing bearing?
Colorado Mike
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Colorado Mike »

that all depends on how smart you are. A dimwit that doesn't even know his bike is screwed up could probably ride that thing for 1000 miles. A guy that knows it ain't right is already on borrowed time. Just the way God works, it seems to me. Sounds like you're one of the guys that better fix his bike. :lol:

Oh, and get rid of that oil injector BS. Use a good premix, around 40:1. I like Maxxima Super M, but you can start a war over oil choices.
Mike

Life's tough, it's even tougher if you're stupid.
'04 KDX220