Fork reassembly

Got questions? We got answers....
patreilly
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Fork reassembly

Post by patreilly »

OK guys I have my 27mm AF nut (SAE 5/8" heavy wall) to weld on a piece of pipe to remove the inner tube. But this bike has been "hill billyed up" by a previous owner. Not sure the fork was previously reassembled correctly and it was missing one of the collared washers. I have a Kawasaki manual for reassembly but have a couple of questions as the drawings in the manual leave a little to be desired. The springs have a top and bottom as the diameter of the wind is smaller at one end. Which end goes down (into the tube 1st) ? And, I can not tell by the drawing the orientation of the sheet metal retainer fingered washer and the machined collared washer or which one is which. I think the collared washer must go directly under the aluminum top plug with the collar up and the spring goes in with the large dia. down and the sheet metal fingered washer goes in the top of the spring (the retaining fingers fit the wrap on the small end of the spring)? Am I correct?
It is a 2002 KDX220.
KDXGarage
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Re: Fork reassembly

Post by KDXGarage »

As best I remember, the fingered washer came on the bottom. Collar goes down inside the top of the spring.
Thank you for participating on kdxrider.net. :bravo:
To post pictures from a device: viewtopic.php?f=88&t=24128
JL4049

Post by JL4049 »

As Jason said, fingered washer in the bottom of the Spring, fingers hold the washer to the Spring.
First time I stripped my forks there each of the top washers was a different way and there were no damage marks to either. There should be one between the Spring and preload spacer (collar down)and another between preload spacer and aluminium cap (collar up). this is in addition to the fingered one on the bottom of the Spring. This is all pretty fresh in my mind as I serviced mine last week lol
patreilly
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by patreilly »

JL, Thanks for info. My forks were previously disassembled. One of the collared washers is missing, 2 of the collared washers were on the bottom, the fingered washers on the top with one of them pushed into the preload spacer. As I said, I knew it was previously misassembled "hill billyed up". I might have to substitute a non collared washer for the missing one. If it is placed on top of the spacer, I think the OD will keep it in place. I figured the fingers on the sheet metal washer were to retain that washer on the spring as it was placed in the tube.
Love this site and the KDX, so much I'm looking for another H model. I owned an air cooled 175cc and a 220cc previously.