New tires

Got questions? We got answers....
javjacob

New tires

Post by javjacob »

I am well on my way to getting my KDX220 finished up and I am debating on whether to get new tires. I don't know what tires I should get though. I live in Missouri and ride on just about everything so I am having a hard time deciding what tires would work best for me. One thing I do know is I want a tough tire that will resist punctures and will last decently. Also what tubes do you recommend or should I save some money and reuse the old tubes since they aren't leaking?
Sorry for the stupid questions but The last dirt bike I owned was almost 20 years ago.
2000 Kawasaki KDX220R
1996 Kawasaki KDX200
thirdgenlxi
Supporting Member I
Supporting Member I

New tires

Post by thirdgenlxi »

This is one of those questions, you ask 10 different people and you'll get 10 different answers. Plus there's a lot of variables as to terrain, riding styles, trail riding vs racing, etc. I don't have a whole lot of different experience with different tires, but since you asked I'll throw my $0.02 in on what I've run (and currently running)

Where I usually ride it's VERY rocky, rooty, rutted, steep, etc (I'm in the mountains, so our trails are literally up and down actual mountains, boulders, etc). A lot of guys around here like running trials tires, or trials hybrid...... on the rocky stuff they are absolutely magical. You can wheelie up a steep wet rock and not even have to worry about it.... the rear just WILL NOT slip. But, they aren't real good in loose/muddy stuff, and you pretty much have no rear brake with them..... it's either off, or locked, lol. But for climbing rocks, you simply won't find anything better. I've run the Dunlop D803 and 2 Kenda Equilibriums and really liked all of them..... only downside being they wear out fairly quick with the soft gummy compound (especially if you ride on the road also, like I do, lol). The new Kenda Ibex is supposed to be awesome too for this kinda stuff, as well as the Shinko 505 cheater tire, which is supposed to be more an all around tire but supposed to be very good

This last time I decided to venture from my beloved trials tires just to try something different, and decided on an IRC VE33 Enduro. It had some really good reviews, and the lugs on it are HUGE!! IRC has another similar tire, the M5B, but it's a soft compound..... this is an intermediate. If you don't have a lot of rocks the soft may be good, but I was afraid it would get ate up here in the rocky stuff. So far I'm liking it.... I've only had it on a couple weeks, and the first time I rode with it was at a different place from the usual.... this place is more flat and just dirt. Conditions were prime when we went.... got just enough rain to make everything just a little bit wet, soft, and tacky, but with no mud. Tire was absolutely awesome in that. Next day went to my usual rocky riding spot, and it got a little squirrely going up some of the rocks..... spun and slid around a little bit. But the next time I rode there, it did great, so I think it may have just needed to get scuffed in a little bit. We went and did some of the nasty rooty trails and it did those like an absolute champ. I've only had it on for a couple weeks now but it seems like it would be a real good all around tire. Not too expensive either, about $70 on RM. I run 5 psi with Tubliss. From the reviews I've read they're supposed to last quite awhile too.... I guess we'll see

As far as fronts go..... It's hard to beat a Bridgestone M59. They last forever and grip awesome

Again you'll probably get a lot of different answers to this..... I'm not saying this is the best, just what I've used and been happy with

This is the IRC

spl383
Supporting Member I
Supporting Member I

Re: New tires

Post by spl383 »

I ride in a variety of conditions including a lot of rocks. The best tires I have found for me is the Maxxis Maxxcross tires. http://www.chaparral-racing.com/product ... spx#pdTabs
and i always have a set of tubes on hand when I change my tires. I will inspect the tube to see how it looks and decide whether or not to use them, and sometimes I will pinch the tubes installing the new tires so I have to use them.
spl383
Supporting Member I
Supporting Member I

Post by spl383 »

I also prefer the stock size tire better than a size wider.
javjacob

Post by javjacob »

Most of my terrain is loose dirt and hard pack dirt with some rocks here and there. I had read a lot of good reviews on the Maxxis maxcross tires. I will check that tire out.
2000 Kawasaki KDX220R
1996 Kawasaki KDX200
Willbilly

Post by Willbilly »

javjacob wrote:Most of my terrain is loose dirt and hard pack dirt with some rocks here and there. I had read a lot of good reviews on the Maxxis maxcross tires. I will check that tire out.
By that description it sounds like you'll want an intermediate compound tire built for intermediate terrain.

I rock a Dunlop MX3S (MX32) on the rear, preferably 100/100/18. And Shinko F546 on the front 80/100/21. I race in southern Virginia where the terrain is intermediate to soft.

PS. The Shinko has been through six hare scrambles and 20 hours of trail riding and they barely show ware. Best front tire ever!
KDXGarage
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by KDXGarage »

Generally, new tires equals new tubes. Check the rim strips or tape and freshen up those.

Like was said, you will get 10 answers from 10 people on tires.
Thank you for participating on kdxrider.net. :bravo:
To post pictures from a device: viewtopic.php?f=88&t=24128
6 Riders
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by 6 Riders »

Long lasting intermediate rear for not so much money......Kenda Trackmaster.
I've been riding on Washougal's and really like those in everything from Washington desert to mud, river rock, loose dirt and tacky dirt....even some sand. I run the Trackmaster in really nasty mud, but it also grips well in most trail conditions.
I think the front tire is the most important. Since running the Washougal's in the terrain that I ride, I most likely won't be switching tires.

New tires, new tubes and rim tape. Check spokes and bearings, I keep a spare set of bearings, tubes, and brakes for just this occasion (and others). This way, when I order (a) tires, I can go through the wheels and replace anything in need. I then refill my "kit" next time I order something (this helps with hitting a "free shipping" mark too).
newbbewb wrote:^what he said.
masterblaster wrote:Man 6 riders you rock.
*side note...I'm drunk, so try to read what I'm trying to say, instead of what I actually type
javjacob

Post by javjacob »

I think I am going to get the Maxxis maxcross intermediate tires, Bridgestone HD tubes. Do you recommend rim tape over the rubber strip?
2000 Kawasaki KDX220R
1996 Kawasaki KDX200
spl383
Supporting Member I
Supporting Member I

Post by spl383 »

I like the tape, it has been on my rims for years and still holding up, and it doesn't move around when installing the tubes.
G22inSC
Supporting Member I
Supporting Member I

Post by G22inSC »

You can always use good ole duct tape instead of high priced rim tape.
'05 Kaw KDX200 ('00 KX125 forks / '02 RM125 Showa "K2" shock)
'14 Yam YZ125(x) (oldest boy's)
'22 Yam YZ125X (youngest boy's)
'17 Yam YZ85 (soon to be FOR SALE)
'10 Honda Recon (wife's)
'08 Kaw KX65 (Sold)
'07 KTM 50SX Sr. (Sold)
'09 Yam PW50 (retired)
'97 Kaw KX250 (Sold)

Gallery

2005 KDX200 Bike Profile
thirdgenlxi
Supporting Member I
Supporting Member I

New tires

Post by thirdgenlxi »

Or just go tubeless :mrgreen:
javjacob

Post by javjacob »

I have wondered about the tubeless idea but from what I have read it requires some rim modifications to work. Seems like tubes would be the easier way to go.
2000 Kawasaki KDX220R
1996 Kawasaki KDX200
thirdgenlxi
Supporting Member I
Supporting Member I

Post by thirdgenlxi »

javjacob wrote:I have wondered about the tubeless idea but from what I have read it requires some rim modifications to work. Seems like tubes would be the easier way to go.
Nope..... all you gotta do is enlarge the hole a small bit where the current rim lock is, that's it. And just make sure the inside lip of the wheel is clen too..... a rub down with a scotch brite pad works fine. I have it front and rear on my bike and I love it. Can run low pressures and don't have to worry about pinch flats

http://nuetech.com/tubliss/
6 Riders
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by 6 Riders »

I put a tubliss on my KDX.....It's awesome! Worth the effort of the install (easier than a tube).
*side note...I'm drunk, so try to read what I'm trying to say, instead of what I actually type
javjacob

Post by javjacob »

Hmm you guys got me wanting to go tubeless now. Once you drill out the rim lock hole doesn't that make it so you can't go back to tubes? I don't see why I ever would but I like to think through permanent mods before I do them.
2000 Kawasaki KDX220R
1996 Kawasaki KDX200
thirdgenlxi
Supporting Member I
Supporting Member I

Post by thirdgenlxi »

javjacob wrote:Hmm you guys got me wanting to go tubeless now. Once you drill out the rim lock hole doesn't that make it so you can't go back to tubes? I don't see why I ever would but I like to think through permanent mods before I do them.
No you could always go back to tubes..... The hole for the tubliss isn't that much bigger than the existing hole already is. There might be a small gap around the stud if you were to put a stock rimlock back on, but it would still fit perfectly fine and tighten down
javjacob

Post by javjacob »

Well I think tubliss it is then. I looked up some videos on how to install them and it looks really simple.
2000 Kawasaki KDX220R
1996 Kawasaki KDX200
6 Riders
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by 6 Riders »

javjacob wrote:Well I think tubliss it is then. I looked up some videos on how to install them and it looks really simple.
It is pretty simple. I watched the video as I went, as to avoid any screw ups. The best part is mounting the tires.....Sooooooo damn easy.
spl383
Supporting Member I
Supporting Member I

Post by spl383 »

let me know how you like the tubliss I might do this when I need tires next