Rear hand brake

Got questions? We got answers....
patreilly
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Rear hand brake

Post by patreilly »

I finally installed a bicycle hand brake cable for the rear brake. I had purchased a left hand lever with hyd. master cyl., a hyd line, and another stock master cyl to dissemble and hook up the hyd line through the reservoir port as suggested. After seeing the Ox Brake on this site I decided cable was the way to go.
I purchased Shimano levers and perches with cable and fittings, Ebay item # 191242712023 from a bike store in PA, cost $23.95 free shipping. The levers and perches are high quality aluminum. I'd recommend them. You do have to remove bark busters and grip as the perches slide over the end of the bar. To the rear of the foot brake lever, I welded on a 3" lg piece of 3/16"x 1/2 inch steel with 3 each 3/16" dia. holes for a pin. I'd recommend using a 2" lg piece with 2 holes. I built a clevis that accepts the cable and is pinned to the lever extension. I also built a .050"x3"x3" sheet metal bracket, welded a 1/2" wide by 1/2" tall sheet metal U piece to the bottom rear of the bracket to retain the cable end, and mounted the bracket to the back of the master cylinder. I used longer screws for the master cylinder that stuck out the back. You can put a nut on the top screw and use the bottom screw as a pin only. There is not enough clearance from the swing arm for a nut on the bottom screw.
I still have the right hand perch and lever that could be turned upside down, buy only 4' additional cable, and build another. You could build 2 of these for under $60 paint included.
I haven't posted pics here yet and don't often spent time taking pics of the projects.
yampa kid

Rear hand brake

Post by yampa kid »

Good job got my set up is coming soon I'm going with a manual set up . close to ox-brake set up made my own.for next to nothing $$$ lots of fun to make with your own parts and setups I used bicycle parts to! Thats why we ride right fun and good times!!your set up sounds way cool lot's of luck with it. no front wheel only braking bulldog only down hills,stuck on hills with only front brake to hold you for you now you can walk down with both brakes on my save your ass some day like a seat belt you my never need but maybe you will nice to have and fun to have and play with cool stuff that not to many people have or seen or even know about go kdx riders rule love my new friends here! thanks wes old bones in colorado.
doctord23
Supporting Member

Re: Rear hand brake

Post by doctord23 »

Sounds slick.
Would love to see a picture of the bracket on the master cylinder.
My Team Green:
2002 KX-KDX 220
2000 KDX 220
2003 KLX 300 DS
1988 White KDX 200C3
1984 KX500 (original owner)
1996 Honda Magna V4
2017 Honda Africa Twin DCT
ROGERM

Rear hand brake

Post by ROGERM »

Me too!
ohgood
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by ohgood »

if you're on the fence, DO THIS!

LHRB is the best mod you can do for trail riding.
Yeahthebikes94

Post by Yeahthebikes94 »

Any photos? Would love to see it, might be my next mod :D