2001 KDX200 Won't Idle

Got questions? We got answers....
CanyonWalker

2001 KDX200 Won't Idle

Post by CanyonWalker »

Hi guys, my first post here, awesome forum you got here.

2001 KDX200, new Wiseco piston and rings, complete rebuild of lower end, totally cleaned out the KIPS, cleaned and rebuilt the carb, changed reeds to Boyesen. Installed an FMF Gnarly pipe and re-jetted the carb per the FMF instructions. After all that, the bike runs awesome, tons of pull and power everywhere, crawls along great over rocks at low speed, only problem is it won't idle. No matter how I set the idle screw, it has no effect. Close the throttle and the motor dies. So I have to blip the throttle while stopped. Any idea what's going on here?

I have not messed with the air screw. It is set to 1-1/2 turns out, as per the FMF instructions.

Thanks in advance for any help!!! Pete
6 Riders
Gold Member
Gold Member

Re: 2001 KDX200 Won't Idle

Post by 6 Riders »

Give the air screw a half turn (either direction) and then try the idle screw. If that doesn't change anything (for better or worse), then I'd say you have a problem inside the carb.
newbbewb wrote:^what he said.
masterblaster wrote:Man 6 riders you rock.
*side note...I'm drunk, so try to read what I'm trying to say, instead of what I actually type
raygun
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by raygun »

Pull the carb and clean the idle circuit? Probably stopped up with something. Check the pilot jet as well.
1982 Kawasaki KZ1300
1999 Kawasaki KDX220
2003 Kawasaki KLX400SR
bufftester
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by bufftester »

Remember that when jetting carbs, the FMF instructions are your STARTING point. You still need to run through the jetting process to dial everything in. If the AS is making no difference at all when you adjust it you need to clean the carb.
CanyonWalker

Post by CanyonWalker »

Thanks for the replies guys.

I've already cleaned the carb once. Disassembled, hot soaked in Yamaha carb cleaner, blasted out with air, jets all nice n clean. I replaced the idle jet. I'm not sure I got the idle circuit clean because I don't see how it comes apart beyond removing the idle stop screw and the air screw. I can't see how it comes apart any more than that. I blasted the crap out of all the little holes in the carb body with 120 psi of air for a good long time.

I took the jet holder off and replaced that big D-shaped gasket that goes in there also.

I will try the air screw and report back. Thanks again guys, much appreciated!
6 Riders
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by 6 Riders »

Well, since you dipped the carb, I'd guess you ruined the jet block gasket. You'll need to replace that before moving forward.

Sent from my KIW-L24 using Tapatalk
newbbewb wrote:^what he said.
masterblaster wrote:Man 6 riders you rock.
*side note...I'm drunk, so try to read what I'm trying to say, instead of what I actually type
Tyl3r
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by Tyl3r »

Did you change the jet block gasket before or after you dipped it? Apparently those chemical dips are not very kind to that o-ring and will cause it to fail. Are you able to check the float height to confirm its not getting too much gas? Did you clean out the hole that float valve goes in, allowing it to move freely? Is the plastic tip on the end of the float valve damaged in any way, preventing it from sealing properly? Is your air boot between the carb and the cylinder cracked, allowing in excess air?

I'm trying to run through all of the things that I was checking when I couldn't get my 220 to idle....I'll let you know if I can think of anything else. It won't help you since you have 200, but my problem was the stock 220 piston on its very last leg. It finally let loose and let me know what the problem was haha

Hope this helps! Good luck!
04/05 KX220 Hybrid all decked out
18 KTM 500 EXC-F Dual Sport/Sumo toy
24 KTM 300XC-W Cheater bike
KDXGarage
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by KDXGarage »

du, du, doon, doon, doon

Another one bites the dust

Definitely check on the jet block gasket and read old threads on NOT soaking the carb, per the Kawasaki factory.
Thank you for participating on kdxrider.net. :bravo:
To post pictures from a device: viewtopic.php?f=88&t=24128
CanyonWalker

2001 KDX200 Won't Idle

Post by CanyonWalker »

Guys thanks for the replies. Much appreciated.

> du, du, doon, doon, doon
> Another one bites the dust

Sorry, what does that mean?

I said i hot soaked the carb. I didn't say I dipped it. "Dipped" means Berryman's B-12 or equivalent. I used Yamaha carb cleaner, diluted 50-50 with water, then soak in an old crock pot and let simmer for several hours. This is an old trick for badly plugged vintage bike carbs. I completely stripped the carb before doing this, including removing the jet block.

Also in my 2nd post I said I replaced the jet block gasket AFTER it was cleaned.

After cleaning, carb was 100% rebuilt with all new parts including float valve.

AIr boot looks OK. In my experinece air boot leaks cause idle to run away to the moon. But I'll check that, thanks.

Many thanks guys. Pete
KDXGarage
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by KDXGarage »

Well, good. You are a one in a thousand guy. We get a fair amount of Berrymans type soal / dip in here.
MotoArts

Post by MotoArts »

My son and I just spent a few minutes with his new-to-him '04 KTM 250SX, and its stock PWK Keihin. Has stock exhaust, but somebody had the main WAY fat, the needle all the way raised, and it would not idle @ 1.5 turns of the air/fuel screw. Had to turn it in the whole way to 1/4 out, now idles fine and takes throttle input well with no other changes.

It's way too cold here to do the pilot change, but that's next up.
'97 KDX220, '84 YZ125, '81 YZ250, '78 RM250C2, '80 RM100T, '04 KTM 250SX,
'82 Yamaha Seca 650 Turbo, survivor
CanyonWalker

Post by CanyonWalker »

Many Thanks guys. I'll be able to get back to the bike next weekend and will post an updatte then. Thanks again! Pete
Elnonio

Post by Elnonio »

Dontcha just hate finding a thread that describes your problem, describes every step you already took to a T, and then stops abruptly without an answer?
KDXGarage
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by KDXGarage »

Welcome to the internet (and kdxrider.net) :grin: