Roy Adams Left Hand Rear Brake

Got questions? We got answers....
patreilly
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by patreilly »

Roy, Thanks again for the photos and drawing of the fitting you used to install the rear hand brake. I see and can duplicate what you did. I wanted to ask you a question about back flow to the master cylinder. I looked at my KDX 200 manual. There is a very good cut away drawing of the rear brake master cyl.. It looks like the reservoir supply, where you brought in the hand brake line, enters the same chamber as the out put to the rear caliper. My question is did you try to hook up, as I mentioned, by piggy backing the banjo fitting on top of the master cylinder and have a problem.
If both the outlet to the rear caliper and the reservoir supply enter the same chamber when the cylinder is not under pressure it seems like there would be no difference in the results of either of the 2 different hook ups? Maybe I'm missing something.
Thank you in advance for your reply.
gots_a_sol

Post by gots_a_sol »

The double banjo method doesn't work because the fluid just pushes the piston back in the opposite master instead of applying pressure to the caliper. Feeding it from the reservoir side like the rekluse and Mr. Adam's piece resolves that problem.
-Joe

Husky WR177 - KX125 (200 soon)
royadams
Supporting Member I
Supporting Member I

Re: Roy Adams Left Hand Rear Brake

Post by royadams »

The res port is in the same chamber,but is not on the pressure side of the piston. I did not try the double banjo, but it will not work.you will pressurize the res and more then likley blow the lid or line off.
patreilly
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by patreilly »

Roy, I was just talking to my son he said you'd pressurize the reservoir in my suggested setup. Then I realized, yes, you would pressurize the reservoir piggy backing the banjo going to the caliper. That wouldn't work. The drawing shows the piston seal just below the reservoir inlet to the master cyl. That reservoir port would be closed when you pressed on the pedal so that the reservoir would not be pressurized when applying the foot brake . I think the piggy back method would work if you eliminated the reservoir like you did, and blocked off the reservoir port. Then you could piggy back the hyd line going to the caliper. Think I'll try it when my hand brake and double banjo bolt arrive.
Jeeze this is a great site if you are into the KDX. I'm looking for a second 220.

Pat Reilly
royadams
Supporting Member I
Supporting Member I

Post by royadams »

What happens when you step on foot pedal. You will pressurize the hand brake. I doubt the lid will hold. Even if it did you would have to keep it over full to work. Then when the brakes heat up and the fluid expands you will be stuck on the trail with a dragging brake.
yampa kid

Post by yampa kid »

HI FRIENDS, been looking at all rear brake option's the OX-BRAKE SYSTEM is manual system no master cylinder worries.don't have to mess with your master cylinder at all .looks like you can make your own bracket and use bicycle parts for hand brake for way cheap just an option to look at.you can look at there web site to copy bracket.and set up.for under $ 25.00. may do mine soon this way first to try out.03 200. thanks friends old bones in colorado.
patreilly
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by patreilly »

Roy, You are right. the foot brake would pressurize the hand brake reservoir. My banjo piggy back idea won't work. I realized that earlier today. Thanks for sticking with me. I will have to find someone to machine the fitting into the master cyl. original reservoir port as you did.
ohgood
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by ohgood »

delete the reader brake matter cylinder completely, and run a line direct from your lhrb master to the caliper. you won't miss the foot pedal, ever !

I love this lhrb mod !