6 Silver springs & Heavy wedge
60%
6 Silver springs & Med wedge
No votes
3 Silver/3 Red springs & Heavy wedge
No votes
3 Silver/3 Red springs & Med wedge
40%
6 Red springs & Med wedge (standard setting I believe)
No votes
6 Red springs & Heavy wedge
No votes
Other
No votes

Total votes: 5

G22inSC
Supporting Member I
Supporting Member I

Rekluse Setup Discussion

Post by G22inSC »

Fellow KDXers, I need your help. It looks like my installing a Rekluse in my KDX may now become a reality. I have begun researching the EXP and have discovered there is a great deal of tuning options that I never knew existed. It seems everywhere you look online someone is using opposite settings with the same results. I wanted to ask the experts here since we are all dealing with the same basic model bike. I've noticed many people end up switching springs and wedges which isn't a big deal other than cost (of the wedges). By looking at schematics on Rekluse's site, I believe I have narrowed down a few different EXP options that will allow picking and choosing of springs and wedges. They run the gamut of Silver all the way to Blue springs and both Medium or Heavy wedges.

I would love to have an informative discussion of what everyone's different settings are and what type of terrain they ride. I typically ride with my boys, who continue to improve and will one day ride faster than their old dad. For now, they are pretty slow, but I have been known to enter the occasional hare scramble here in SC. That means red clay and technical hills on occasion. I'm still learning about this clutch but I believe I understand it to the point of wanting a little slip down low for slow, technical riding to avoid stalling. I'm thinking you want the earlier engagement for offroad riding as opposed to later for motocross. Is the standard Red springs with Medium wedge setup the best option or is the Silver springs with Heavy wedge the "hot ticket"? Then again, I could be completely off base since Rekluse seems to recommend the Heavy wedge for track use. Has anyone experienced high RPM slip with the Medium wedge on slightly modded KDXs?

What do you'll think?
'05 Kaw KDX200 ('00 KX125 forks / '02 RM125 Showa "K2" shock)
'14 Yam YZ125(x) (oldest boy's)
'22 Yam YZ125X (youngest boy's)
'17 Yam YZ85 (soon to be FOR SALE)
'10 Honda Recon (wife's)
'08 Kaw KX65 (Sold)
'07 KTM 50SX Sr. (Sold)
'09 Yam PW50 (retired)
'97 Kaw KX250 (Sold)

Gallery

2005 KDX200 Bike Profile
Tioli
Supporting Member I
Supporting Member I

Re: Rekluse Setup Discussion

Post by Tioli »

Hi at the moment I have silver springs with medium wedges. If there were not other demands on my spending money I would go heavy wedges and light springs.
The slip I have with the current setup is ok and really good on steep hills but then there other times where I would like a bit more snap when not in the powerband.
I would have to say my motor is heavily modified with corresponding higher gearing than standard. I can get all the snap I want if I just use one smaller front sprocket but this leads to useless wheel spin with no bite. most of the trails I ride are a mixture of sand, rock to enduro.

With the RB carb and motor setup I have it idles well with a bit of drag on the clutch so heavier wedges and light springs would still work ok I predict. So if your motor has a strong beat at low reaves why not make it engage early as possible?

Still one of the best mods for a old guy, to me it's cheating

Regards
Tioli
2001 KX125 with a 1997 KDX Tioli Hp motor

My KDX journey starts at the bottom of this page:
http://www.trials.com.au/forum/viewtopi ... &start=160

Trials.com.au / Forum / All about...me! / My long time friend the prancing horse / page 9
Tedh98
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by Tedh98 »

Tioli wrote:Still one of the best mods for a old guy, to me it's cheating
It sure is! And I am ok with being a cheater. I rarely get to ride anymore and having an auto clutch allows me to ride longer, faster and most importantly, get more fun and enjoyment out of it.

I would say 75% of the conversions I have made are for older guys that have some type injury or condition that makes using a regular clutch difficult.

On a different note, it looks like you are keeping busy with a new two wheeled project.
Tedh98
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by Tedh98 »

I havent tested any of this, but I think there are two other items that can impact how the EXP behaves.

The first are the clutch springs. I have always used the KDX springs. Others have used HD springs. I once tried to use HD springs but they sent the wrong ones. The length was good, but there were too many coils and it bound up. I have a feeling the springs could have a big impact.

And to a much lesser extent, I think the type of transmission fluid could impact the way an EXP behaves. I have always used ATF.
G22inSC
Supporting Member I
Supporting Member I

Post by G22inSC »

Still seems a bit confusing to me. Rekluse recommends Med (red) springs with Medium wedges as the standard setting. They recommend Heavy wedges for motocross racing. In an older tuning guide I found online Rekluse states that low engagement RPM (silver springs) with harder engagement rate (heavy wedges) is "most susceptible to braking stalls, tends to be jumpy with difficult control in rocky or technical sections and will need manual "clutching" to maximize acceleration out of the corners and for smooth control in rocky and technical sections." That seems to be the opposite of what we are trying to achieve but seems to the setup a lot of people use.

Does anyone have stall issues at low RPM with Silver springs and Heavy wedges? Are you able to pull hills without issue with this combination? Is this combination early and hard enough for wheelies without manual clutching?

Tedh98...thanks for the idea on checking the schematics for the correct EXP 3.0 wedge assembly. I have been able to track down just about every combination of installed spring and wedge combinations to allow picking which ever setup you want. I always used Honda HP oil in my transmission and never had any issues. I recently switched to Rotella-T 15w-40 since I seem to always be changing oil with three bikes in the stable. I noticed on Rekluse's website they actually recommend Rotella for use in their clutches so hopefully the cheap stuff will be good to go.
'05 Kaw KDX200 ('00 KX125 forks / '02 RM125 Showa "K2" shock)
'14 Yam YZ125(x) (oldest boy's)
'22 Yam YZ125X (youngest boy's)
'17 Yam YZ85 (soon to be FOR SALE)
'10 Honda Recon (wife's)
'08 Kaw KX65 (Sold)
'07 KTM 50SX Sr. (Sold)
'09 Yam PW50 (retired)
'97 Kaw KX250 (Sold)

Gallery

2005 KDX200 Bike Profile
kenpowell

Rekluse Setup Discussion

Post by kenpowell »

I now have 144.4 hrs on my Rekluse EXP setup. The bike is an '03 KX125 with a '95 KDX200 motor bored to 223cc and with Eric Gorr's MoBetta porting and a 36mm Billet Smartcarb with a Gnarly pipe and FMF shorty silencer. The bike is also has a complete '08 YZ250F front end with SSS forks. The Rekluse is setup per Ted's directions with a Barnett clutch basket, Honda CRF250 clutch plates, 2 REALLY heavy clutch springs (very thick wire gauge - they were in the motor when I bought it) plus 2 'normal' KDX heavy springs. The Rekluse EXP presently contains heavy wedges and 6 silver (lightest) springs. I have tried many combinations of wedges and springs and I always end up with this combination. I had the clutch apart at 139 hrs and only the SS 'fingers' on the Barnett clutch show any wear - at some point the SS fingers will need to be replaced.

I am 'mostly' happy with the performance. I was not happy with any combination of springs with the medium wedges - there was just to much slippage. The heavy wedges work much better. With 3 silver and 3 red springs the clutch is smooth and works well with one glaring fault - it is difficult to lift the front end over logs due to the slight delay while RPM build. I never notice any fault in any other riding condition. Unfortunately, that is a pretty big failure in performance. Performance with the 6 silver springs and heavy wedges cures this fault but introduces another problem - when picking your way through obstacles (downed trees after a storm!) you can feel the clutch engaging and dis-engaging at a rapid rate. This can actually throw you off your line so you can definitely feel the action. I don't ride in these conditions often so the 6 silver springs and heavy wedges is the combination installed in my bike. I use Type F ATF for transmission fluid.

I am a 'fit' 64 year old / 172 lb ex 'A' level enduro rider who rides almost every weekend. Our terrain is hilly and extremely rocky and at times very difficult (google Brock Creek Copperhead Trail). Our normal ride will average about 14 MPH due to the difficulty of the trails. Ted is correct - I need the Rekluse because I lost 2 fingers and mangled a 3rd on my left had 33 years ago. The injury has not slowed me but I do have difficulty manipulating a clutch. I'm still amazed that Ted figured this out - I would not have built my hybrid without knowing that I could have an auto clutch.
Ken Powell
2012 KTM 300 XC with YZ SSS cartridges in the WP tubes
2003 YZ265WR with 2005 AOSS forks
2003 KX125 / KDX200 motor with YZ SSS forks
First Motorcycle - 1963 Harley 175 Scat
Tioli
Supporting Member I
Supporting Member I

Rekluse Setup Discussion

Post by Tioli »

Ted I just looked at your link for cleaning house. If I were after a auto clutch your for sale clutch would be a good price. Not the same as making your own for the experience but the same price at least

My new project the ebike is so much fun to ride. I will be pulling the hybrid apart soon as I have been riding it some and doing a few long WOT runs to see what happens. Apart from that I haven't even changed a plug, just pull it out and ride it, wash and put away again. Now it's just a matter of gettting around to seeing what is going on in there for future reference.
2001 KX125 with a 1997 KDX Tioli Hp motor

My KDX journey starts at the bottom of this page:
http://www.trials.com.au/forum/viewtopi ... &start=160

Trials.com.au / Forum / All about...me! / My long time friend the prancing horse / page 9