Left hand rear brake

Got questions? We got answers....
patreilly
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Left hand rear brake

Post by patreilly »

Ok, you guys got me interested. Hadn't seen after market left hand rear brakes before. We did have an enduro rider here in N. IL that had his right leg amputated just above the knee. He had a left hand rear brake setup. I never looked at the setup, never thought I'd want one. I really couldn't envision how anybody could ride like that, but he did and was a contender. The guy would actually stand on 1 leg, jump straight up, and come down on the starter lever to start the bike.
Anyway, the Clake setup is for, I guess, a KTM. It looks like a superior design with the perch designed to put the clutch and brake levers in an optimum position. It costs $400 Aus. and is brand specific. Recluse has a $200+ universal model. Still too costly.
I just ordered a $20 left hand lever and master cyl., a $14 130 cm long hyd line, and a $2 Double Banjo bolt. That comes to $36. All had free shipping. Got ta love that Ebay.
Looks like I have to cut 1/4" off of the bottom of reservoir mount bracket and reservoir mount tab to squeeze the double banjo set up in and have a left hand rear brake setup.
I should then be able to execute right hand skid steering as proficiently as a left hand one. Until now I could go left pretty well and right was a challenge.
ubareddition
Supporting Member

Re: Left hand rear brake

Post by ubareddition »

Please post pics of it all done.

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk
royadams
Supporting Member I
Supporting Member I

Post by royadams »

Your going to have trouble setting it up that way. When you use one lever the fluid will push the other lever out. It will reverse feed the other master.If you want to use both levers, you will have to attach the hand lever to the foot master by the reservior port.
TheGriz
Supporting Member

Left hand rear brake

Post by TheGriz »

I quit using the foot brake on all of my Rekluse equipped bikes.

I've tried 2 Clake setups, Rekluse LHRB, and the Smokn setup. By far my favorite is to run a brake line directly from a clutch master to the rear caliper directly.
1987 KDX 80
1991 KDX 200
2005 GasGas EC250
2011 GasGas EC300
2008 KTM 300
TheGriz
Supporting Member

Post by TheGriz »

1987 KDX 80
1991 KDX 200
2005 GasGas EC250
2011 GasGas EC300
2008 KTM 300
yampa kid

Left hand rear brake

Post by yampa kid »

Thats what I thought you could do set up your own with after market parts.nice job i'm glad i brought it up. It's all about fun and making the kdxs even more awesome and added safety to. ox brake set up is a manual set up with no master cylinder maybe less yet and more reliable set up.looks easy to copy.as on seen youtube useing bicycle parts that you can set up to pull up on rear brake arm safely and at low cost parts wes colorado old bones and WAY COOL BIKE
patreilly
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by patreilly »

Roy, Thanks for the info. I wondered if that system would back feed the main master cyl. as you suggest. Do you just eliminate the original reservoir and the hand brake reservoir is sufficient? Also, what do you have to do at the reservoir port on the original master cyl. to allow you to connect the banjo as pictured in your photo? Are there any other modifications to the original master cyl. required?
Pat Reilly
patreilly
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Left hand rear brake

Post by patreilly »

Roy Adams, Where did you get the small banjo fitting in the picture?

Pat Reilly
royadams
Supporting Member I
Supporting Member I

Post by royadams »

You will have to have a fitting made at a local machine shop. I took them the fitting from the reservior so they could get the correct size. The first time i did it i used a clutch master like you are getting. I had a 6mm banjo fitting installed at the local tractor shop. I found it hard to fit both levers on my bars. I then switched to a mountain bike master. That it what the recluse uses. It comes with a 6mm banjo. The res on the hand brake is all you need, none on the foot master. With the mountain brake master i filled it every ride, it has a real small master res.
Tyl3r
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by Tyl3r »

Awesome info Roy, and nice upgrade!
04/05 KX220 Hybrid all decked out
18 KTM 500 EXC-F Dual Sport/Sumo toy
24 KTM 300XC-W Cheater bike
patreilly
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by patreilly »

Roy. Dynamite info. Thank you. I will look for a mountain bike lever and master cyl.
royadams
Supporting Member I
Supporting Member I

Post by royadams »

This was my setup, i used a hayes stroker master. If you look at it and the recluse setup it looks the same.
gots_a_sol

Left hand rear brake

Post by gots_a_sol »

Just for more info, this is the how Rekluse used to do it before going to the bike master cylinder.

-Joe

Husky WR177 - KX125 (200 soon)