FRP exhaust power ring

Got questions? We got answers....
patreilly
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

FRP exhaust power ring

Post by patreilly »

Has anybody got experience using the FRP exhaust power ring? They are $10. I installed one, but haven't ridden with it yet. I just got this 2004 KDX 220 and am refurbishing it. I sent the rear shock to FRP, called J. Fredette and told him I wanted it valved as soft as possible for 175# rider.
doakley
Gold Member
Gold Member

Re: FRP exhaust power ring

Post by doakley »

Never heard of one. Exactly what is it?

Good move on having FRP rebuild and revalue your shock. Made a huge difference in my 220.
pumpguy
Gold Member
Gold Member

FRP exhaust power ring

Post by pumpguy »

As I understand it, the exhaust power ring slightly extends the length of exhaust pipe, which changes the length of the waves. More information is available online, but can't remember details right now.

This and adding a spacer plate to and extending the volume of the KIPS resonator are low cost ways to play with the exhaust tuning. Haven't tried either, so can't comment on how they actually work.
patreilly
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by patreilly »

Yes, it is a ring that replaces the copper gasket. the ring is slightly thicker than 1/8". it pushes the exhaust pipe out that much. You omit the copper gasket. Only 1 of the O-rings engages the cylinder. The other O-ring hangs out in the breeze. The ring is touted to give a little more low end torque and reduces top end rpms by 200 to 300 rpm.
It just seems that 1/8"+ sure isn't much of an extension to the pipe. I do have the FMF pipe.
By the way, love this website. I previously owned a 2000 KDX 220. I sold it, bought a KTM 200 2007. Power galore, I should have had the suspension tuned. I was never pleased with it, but can't blame the bike. Like I said the suspension was way too stiff for me.
yampa kid

Post by yampa kid »

Check out Moose torque spacer kit $30.00 to get same results easy fast kit reviews say it works nice and you don't have to mess with your pipe or your rush washer on your cylinder head. Don't forget to check out crosstraining enduro skills videos on youtube go kdx riders!
bufftester
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by bufftester »

I have tried one on my 220. Didn't really notice much change, but then the 220 is already fat in the low end. Now changing pipe DID make a noticeable difference. New reed valves would be a better use of money IMO
Julien D
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by Julien D »

I had one on my 200 for a couple hours. Did a little bit for the low end, but it took way too much off the top for me. If you spend more time at low RPM it would probably be beneficial. I doubt it would be a very good idea on a 220.