Idaho riders....suggestions please!

Got questions? We got answers....
Blazing Basqueo

Idaho riders....suggestions please!

Post by Blazing Basqueo »

Howdy All,
I just recently bought an '06 kdx200. I have been monitoring and searching the sight for a couple of weeks, but this is my first post. Yesterday, I installed a gnarly pipe and power reeds and was hoping one of my fellow Idaho riders, such as Idahocharley (I figured that out all by myself), will offer what they feel are logical jetting sizes....a place to get started. It is currently stock jetting and beleive it to be quite rich. I will be riding around the Owyhees until the snow is about gone in the mountains...so lets say between 3000 and 5000 ft.
I was told at the dealership that "stock" was MJ-160 and PJ -48. From what I've read here, thats gotta be off by quite a bit. When I open it up, I'll find out for sure...just wanted some jets on hand when I do.

I know the jetting questions are beat to death here; but this is an Idaho specific jetting question...I hope that will suffice to at least partially excuse the redundancy and not annoy the monkey.

Thanks all...
Rhodester

Post by Rhodester »

Hi Bazing, this is my first post on this sight. I live in west Meridian and ride quite a bit on the desert plateau north of the Snake river (2600'+). You should be around 2500' in Homedale.

I'm running (200H) a stock carb, RAD Valve, -35 (FMF woods) pipe, air box lid on, and a Q silencer. My jetting is as follows: 152 main, 42 pilot, air screw at 1 1/4 out, #7 slide, DEK/3 needle at temps around 80 degrees. At warmer temps--90s (or 5000') I run a 150 main. At temps in the high 50s and 60s I run a 155. These mains at these temps are on the safe side (read rich). If I go down 1 size from each of these scenarios I'm really nice and crisp, and with lots of powerful snap in the power band.
If you are going to use the stock reed block (with aftermarket reeds), stock slide and needle, You should be pretty crisp with a 42 pilot and the mains I normally use (determined by temp/elevation). To be safe you can always go up one size to start out and work your way a little leaner. Good luck!
'95 200H
KDXer
Supporting Member

Post by KDXer »

Welcome to you both !!! :partyman:

"I want to die peacefully in my sleep like my grandfather, not screaming in terror like the passengers in his car."
NM_KDX200

Post by NM_KDX200 »

I lived in Boise (closer to Kuna, actually) for 5 years. Didn't have a dirt bike then but I rode my MTB a lot in the Idaho City area. Always wanted to ride a dirt bike in the area.
1999 KDX 200
2001 KDX 220
2002 RM 134
2004 KX 125
IdahoCharley
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by IdahoCharley »

One of my older boys (99 KDX 200) is running the stock slide/stock reeds, FMF desert pipe, with Turbine Core 2, and we set it up with a 42 PJ, CEK/3, and 152MJ when he had it down here last summer. 4700-5000 foot elevation. He has been running it up to 8000 feet in 50 - 75 degree temperatures and is happy with changes only to the Air Screw. Premixed at 32:1

My younger son has a KDX 200 with a modified slide (~7 to 7.5 cut) with 607 reeds, ProCircuit Plat 2 pipe with stock silencer and is running 42pj, CEJ/3, and 155 MJ and has been happy from 5000 - 8500 feet elevations. (He appears rich when over ~7500 feet during the summer when running on the main jet) Premixed at 32:1

Edit - both bikes have drilled air box lids and the 99 is running UNI filters while the younger son is running Twin Air filters
KTM 380EXC Mine
KDX 200 Mark's
TTR 125 L Wife's
KDX 200 Austin's
EC 300 Tyson's
WR430 Husky - mine
Blazing Basqueo

Thanks for the advice everyone. I believe I will start with the 152 mj and 42 pj. I'll play with the needle and see what she likes. In case any one wants to know, I rode it a little after installing the pipe and it did make a noticeable difference....not huge, but noticeable. Can't wait to see what happens when I get the jetting dialed.

Thanks again,
BB
Rhodester

Post by Rhodester »

Get ready! After you do the jetting you'll have a wailing machine. What pipe did you go with; the -35 (woods) or the -30 (desert/rev)?
'95 200H
Blazing Basqueo

I have the woods/torque pipe (-35). I still haven't had time to rejet, but the anticipation is mounting and becoming almost unbearable!!
'05 CRF450X
'06 KDX200
'02 TTR125
'83 XR200r
'98 Polaris 400
clutchcover
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by clutchcover »

I'm running a 152/42, sometimes 40 at 4500-8000. Torque pipe, power reeds, no lid, cel 3rd clip, and PCII. Seems good above 75 degrees. Below that is 155/45 till about 45 degrees. When it drops below that I run the stock jets. I'm here in Pocatello, and ride similar area to Idaho Charley. He made a couple suggestions last year, and they seemed to work well for me.
97 Kdx200
Summuda goodies.... But not quite enough.
OverTheHill
Supporting Member III
Supporting Member III

Post by OverTheHill »

Glad to know there are so many of us here. I went through the same thing about a year ago with a new 05. Jetting will help a bunch but start saving NOW for the RB Designs carb! Better throttle response at the lower end and more power everywhere. I think the Steahly flywheel weight is worth considering too.

Is there any good riding up Poison creek? Don't worry about the monkey, he's always that way!
Blazing Basqueo

I have read alot about the RB designs airstriker on this sight as-well-as the other site and am thinking about getting one soon. (it may be just me, but I can't seem to shake the vision that most posters on the OTHER site are young, somewhat obnoxious teens sporting propellered beenies on thier pointed heads)

I'm going up towards poison creek this weekend actually. I like to ride over toward the Owyhee river as well. It's a good place to ride this time of year while most everyone else rides the desert south of Boise and the Murphy area...and it's close to home for me. It won't be long until the ground-squirrels will be out.
Ridin' and shootin'; it doesn't get any better than that!
m0rie
Supporting Member I
Supporting Member I

Post by m0rie »

Get the RB Airstryker...its worth it! :supz: Don't forget to send Ron your head to be recut. The more altitude you put on the more it needs the squish band to be reconfigured.
1989 KDX 200
2007 TTR-50E
Rhodester

Post by Rhodester »

I just installed my RB Airstriker today. I'll post a comparison report after I get it dialed in. I'll test it with both the CEK he sent it with and a DEK. I ordered it with the finger adjustable air screw. It was set at 7/8 turn out. What other A/S settings should I try?
'95 200H
m0rie
Supporting Member I
Supporting Member I

Post by m0rie »

There should be two sweet spots. The first should be around 1 to 1 1/2 turns out. The SSS (Second Sweet Spot) should be around 2 1/2 turns out. Start making 1/16th turn adjustments on either side and you should find a stronger off idle response and third gear and up comes alive...
1989 KDX 200
2007 TTR-50E
Rhodester

Post by Rhodester »

Thanks mOrie. What will the differences be between the 2 sweet spots (characteristics-wise)?
'95 200H
OverTheHill
Supporting Member III
Supporting Member III

Post by OverTheHill »

I'm at 152/42/CEK-2 with RB stock carb. mod. Good alternative to the AS for $165.

The inlaws are a few miles from Poison Cr. road. When I get street legal I can let the wife BS and I'll unload there and go ride!
Blazing Basqueo

OK you guys, I can't take it anymore. You've stoked me up and headed me straight down the airstriker path. I'll be gathering up a cashiers check for RB come Monday.
Lets see, ...if I hawk my wedding ring, sell my Edgar Martinez autographed baseball, skip the payment on my kid's braces.....

But make no mistake, I will have my airstriker!!
Rhodester

Post by Rhodester »

I ran my new RB Air Striker yesterday at about 54 degrees outside. It's jetted 152, CEK/3, 40, AS at 7/8 out. I got my engine fairly warm over a few minutes and did some brief runs down the street. With this setup it had a midrange hit which pulled the front wheel off of the ground at the hit. It seemed to be jetted very crisp at this temperature. It was very powerful throughout the range except for one problem....my big lean hesitation or hiccup-and-go was in full bloom (BTW, all runs were done with the air box lid on with snorkel removed, -35 FMF, Q silencer). Today (57 degrees) I did the identical test runs only with DEK/3. The first thing I noticed was that the 40 pilot was too lean. I had to run with the air screw nearly all the way in to keep away from run away revs at idle. I'll be switching to a 42 soon. The acceleration was smooth and linear the whole way with only the slightest surge of hit (if you could call it that) in the low midrange. No hesitation or hiccup-and-go. It wasn't quite as crisp and powerful when wicking it due to the richer needle tip (narrower). I'll update my impressions when I can actually get out in the dirt in a little warmer weather. I may be able to go 1 step leaner on the main (relative to temp) or get rid of the air box lid....as long as I can avoid the dreaded hesitation when wicking it.
'95 200H
m0rie
Supporting Member I
Supporting Member I

Post by m0rie »

Take the main down to a 150, leave the pilot at a 40 and bump the CEK or DEK upto the #4 slot. Should make a pretty good difference.
1989 KDX 200
2007 TTR-50E
Rhodester

Post by Rhodester »

.....turns out my throttle spring was binding somehow causing the high idle. Seems that the 40 pilot will be in the ball park. It's too cold (from where my normal riding temps are) to test for any real jetting fine tuning (47 degrees). To be continued.....
'95 200H