Crank Seal Orientation

Got questions? We got answers....
ridethepipe

Crank Seal Orientation

Post by ridethepipe »

I'm rebuilding the bottom end on my 1999 kdx200 and I had a few questions.

1. I recently watch Shane Conley's youtube video on 2-stroke crank bearing and seal assemblies. He was working on a Kawasaki which had the right crank seal spring facing out towards the clutch cover(which he thought was odd). He investigated further and found it was indeed installed properly. What is the correct seal orientation for both the left (flywheel side) and right (clutch side) crank seal on a 1999 kdx?

2. I've read on most seals the spring should be facing the side that contains the oil. Considering that logic wouldn't all 2-stroke (right) crank seals face with the spring side out towards the clutch cover?

3. Are there any aftermarket bearing and seal kits available for the 1995-2006 kdx200 or do I need to just order all OEM bearings and seals?

4. Once all the seals are properly installed is it safe to put the case (with seals) in the oven to bake/freeze the bearings in? If not what is the best way to install the seals and bearings?

Thanks!
Tedh98
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Re: Crank Seal Orientation

Post by Tedh98 »

Both seals go in the same way and look like this with the spring facing the crank: Image

With your aftermarket bearings/seals question - are you asking about crank bearings/seals or all the bearings/seals in the bottom end? For crank seals and bearings, I would only go OEM. For the other bearings, there is no kit and you have to buy everything individually. As far as seals for the bottom end, there are several complete kits out there. I've had good luck with the Moose kits. Not sure who actually makes the seals, but they have held up well.

You can definitely put the cases with seals in the oven. I've done 250-300 degrees with no problems. No need to go any higher than that.

A lot of pictures HERE(220 is the same as your 200) and HERE with some videos on installing the bearings and crank HERE.
argclh6670
Supporting Member

Re: Crank Seal Orientation

Post by argclh6670 »

Different bike brand....my manual for my RMX shows the clutch side main seal with spring out...however, i installed with spring towards the pressure side (crankside)....just made more sense to me. no problems have arisen either.