Noise in pipe after rebuild

Got questions? We got answers....
Ed5786

Post by Ed5786 »

So I got done doing a top end rebuild this weekend, and noticed a noise in the expansion chamber I never noticed before. When I rev the bike with no load, it makes a sound like something bouncing around inside the pipe while the engine is decelerating. I didn't notice it while riding it during break in, just when free reving from idle. It's an fmf gnarly desert pipe. I do not have much 2 stroke experience, is this normal?
1998 KDX200
Fmf gnarly woods
Boyesen reeds
13/49 gearing
Jaguar
Supporting Member

Post by Jaguar »

heck no it's not normal. pull the pipe off and let what ever is in it come out.
Performance CDI -- KDX motocross mods -- the SR KDX -- expansion chamber analysis---> http://www.dragonfly75.com/moto/
Julien D
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Re: Noise in pipe after rebuild

Post by Julien D »

And check your KIPS valves.
Ed5786

Post by Ed5786 »

The noise is from combustion, just to be clear. I'm just not sure if it's a "ping", or just a common sound from the tin can sounding fmf pipe. It sounds crisper in general, I just want to be sure this isn't what pinging sounds like. It's the typical deceleration sound with a couple noticibly louder " TING TING TING's"
1998 KDX200
Fmf gnarly woods
Boyesen reeds
13/49 gearing
doctord23
Supporting Member

Post by doctord23 »

Check to make sure that the pipe isn't touching the frame.
Sounds can get amplified if it is.
My Team Green:
2002 KX-KDX 220
2000 KDX 220
2003 KLX 300 DS
1988 White KDX 200C3
1984 KX500 (original owner)
1996 Honda Magna V4
2017 Honda Africa Twin DCT
KDXGarage
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by KDXGarage »

Also, check to be sure the kickstarter end is not touching.
Thank you for participating on kdxrider.net. :bravo:
To post pictures from a device: viewtopic.php?f=88&t=24128
Ed5786

Post by Ed5786 »

Negative on both kickstarter and frame contact. I'll try to figure out how to post a vid later when I get time. Then you guys can hear it and see if I'm just being over cautious. But until then, here is how I am tuned.

45pj
Needle in middle position
158 main jet
Boyesen 607's.

Air temps have been low to mid 40's
1998 KDX200
Fmf gnarly woods
Boyesen reeds
13/49 gearing
Tedh98
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by Tedh98 »

Need to know your altitude, otherwise your jetting information is useless.
Ed5786

Post by Ed5786 »

600-700 feet
1998 KDX200
Fmf gnarly woods
Boyesen reeds
13/49 gearing
bufftester
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by bufftester »

You just did a top end, so your compression is likely much better than previously. You didn't mention what ratio you are running or what a plug chop looks like. Could be a bit lean.
Ed5786

Post by Ed5786 »

I'm running 50:1 premix. I have not had a chance to do a plug chop yet. After break in I did run it hard a little bit and it did feel a bit lean. Bogged a bit on the bottom at times after running hard.
1998 KDX200
Fmf gnarly woods
Boyesen reeds
13/49 gearing
Julien D
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by Julien D »

50:1 is pretty light on the oil for a KDX. Just IMO and all. 50:1 seems to be fine for some folks.
Ed5786

Post by Ed5786 »

Julien D wrote:50:1 is pretty light on the oil for a KDX. Just IMO and all. 50:1 seems to be fine for some folks.
That was going to be another question. I ran 40:1 before. After much reading on the web I decided to go 50:1 because the general consensus was its fine for trail riding. And I figured once gas got old enough I don't want to put it in the bike, I can just run it through the chainsaw, weed eater and blower since they all burn 50:1. However I am probably going to go back to 40:1 in the KDX for peace of mind. Right now I run Klotz TCW3 premix. What premix gets the popular vote amongst you folks?
1998 KDX200
Fmf gnarly woods
Boyesen reeds
13/49 gearing
bufftester
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by bufftester »

Ed5786 wrote:...What premix gets the popular vote amongst you folks?
Lol, that's one of those questions you don't ask without starting a pages long discussion... :roll:

As long as it's 2 stroke oil, and you stick with the same brand/same ratio you'll be fine. Change anything and you may have to rejet. IMO I agree with Julien that 50:1 seems light, but lots of guys on here run it with no issues. Same with 32:1 (OEM recommendation) lots of guys run it (including my dad in his 94 which has had exactly 0 issues in its lifetime), though it seems my 220 smokes way too much at that ratio. 40:1 is popular because the math is easy :grin: Just pick one, jet to it and then stick with it.
patreilly
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by patreilly »

Hate to tell you, I have religiously used AMSOIL Sabre 100 to 1 for 35 years in every application you can name without any problem. I always break in new engine as recommended by mfg. then go to Sabre AMSOIL.
Friedom
Supporting Member I
Supporting Member I

Post by Friedom »

Ed5786 wrote:
Julien D wrote:50:1 is pretty light on the oil for a KDX. Just IMO and all. 50:1 seems to be fine for some folks.
That was going to be another question. I ran 40:1 before. After much reading on the web I decided to go 50:1 because the general consensus was its fine for trail riding. And I figured once gas got old enough I don't want to put it in the bike, I can just run it through the chainsaw, weed eater and blower since they all burn 50:1. However I am probably going to go back to 40:1 in the KDX for peace of mind. Right now I run Klotz TCW3 premix. What premix gets the popular vote amongst you folks?
Did you rejet when you switched to 50:1? And is it the same compression piston as you had before?
My 91 was really loud and had a ringing coming off the pipe. 20 hrs later I had a hole in the piston.
...make sure you keep your rads full...

"Fun Wheel Drive"
Ed5786

Post by Ed5786 »

Friedom wrote:
Ed5786 wrote:
Did you rejet when you switched to 50:1? And is it the same compression piston as you had before?
My 91 was really loud and had a ringing coming off the pipe. 20 hrs later I had a hole in the piston.

"Fun Wheel Drive"
I did not rejet, other than the pilot and needle. It had a 42 pilot, and I went to 45. And I raised the needle one clip. I just bought this bike a little over a month ago. The previous owner also mentioned it has a BEP needle, not sure if that's much different than the stock needle. I may just order a DEL since that seems to be a popular choice. Or, just order a JD jet kit since I don't really have much time to tinker and experiment getting the jetting correct for different conditions.
1998 KDX200
Fmf gnarly woods
Boyesen reeds
13/49 gearing
Friedom
Supporting Member I
Supporting Member I

Post by Friedom »

Ed5786 wrote:
Friedom wrote:
Ed5786 wrote:

"Fun Wheel Drive"
I did not rejet, other than the pilot and needle. It had a 42 pilot, and I went to 45. And I raised the needle one clip. I just bought this bike a little over a month ago. The previous owner also mentioned it has a BEP needle, not sure if that's much different than the stock needle. I may just order a DEL since that seems to be a popular choice. Or, just order a JD jet kit since I don't really have much time to tinker and experiment getting the jetting correct for different conditions.
So you made the mix richer with a larger PJ, and you made it richer by putting less oil in the fuel (50:1 instead of 40:1), and you made it richer in the midrange moving the needle up one clip. Was the bike at a different altitude/location before the rebuild?

"Fun Wheel Drive"
Ed5786

Post by Ed5786 »

No I bought it local
1998 KDX200
Fmf gnarly woods
Boyesen reeds
13/49 gearing
Friedom
Supporting Member I
Supporting Member I

Post by Friedom »

Then that seems like a lot of change to to fuel/air ratio. Plug chops?

"Fun Wheel Drive"