KIPS shaft boot

Got questions? We got answers....
javjacob

KIPS shaft boot

Post by javjacob »

I am in the process of doing the top end on my 2000 KDX220R and I decided to buy a new boot for the KIPS shaft. It wasn't much money and is important to keep debris out of the motor. So I try to remove the old boot and realize it won't slide off the shaft. The shaft has to be removed. Problem is I don't know exactly how to do it. If it's too much trouble like removing the side case I will just forget it and use the old boot. I see there is a Phillips screw in the case where the shaft goes but I don't know if that will even let the shaft come out. Even if it does I can just imagine the Phillips screw head rounding off like they are so good at doing. The engineer that decided they should use Phillips screws on everything needs to be slapped I believe. Does anyone replace the boot or should I just clean up the old boot and throw the new one in the parts bin and forget about it?
2000 Kawasaki KDX220R
1996 Kawasaki KDX200
jeswinehart
Gold Member
Gold Member

KIPS shaft boot

Post by jeswinehart »

I don't have your answerer on the removal technique . Do admire your common sense in asking before going any farther though. I know in some machines taking the wrong bolt or screw out with out knowing what is on the inside can cause a whole lot of grief by some spacer, shim washer falling out of place inside of cases.
Anyway, really wanted to mention that the Japanese Philips is different the the U.S. Philips.
I do agree it would have been better all around to use allen head bolts more rather then phillips screws.
http://www.vesseltools.com/hand-tools/s ... ducts.html
Tedh98
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Re: KIPS shaft boot

Post by Tedh98 »

You will need to remove the cover. You will also need to remove the pin (that tends to break off eventually) that is held in place by two allen head bolts that first into the governor. Those are red loctited in, so you'll need to heat them up to remove them.

The main reason (other than a rusted or seized bolt) that so many have problems with the phillips screws is that they aren't phillips screws. More info HERE.
javjacob

Post by javjacob »

Thanks for the tips. I think I will just use the old boot since I don't want to pull the side case, atleast not yet anyway. Might wait until I have to replace the clutch plates.
2000 Kawasaki KDX220R
1996 Kawasaki KDX200
pumpguy
Gold Member
Gold Member

KIPS shaft boot

Post by pumpguy »

Get yourself a manual impact driver (the kind you hit with a hammer) along with Phillips and JIS driver bits.

Amazon is showing a TEKTON 2905 3/8" drive manual impact driver kit for $13.00.

These manual impact driver tools are pretty much required tooling for motorcycle engine work.

If you don't already have one, a service manual is also required tooling.
javjacob

Post by javjacob »

Thanks for the help I will take a look at those.
2000 Kawasaki KDX220R
1996 Kawasaki KDX200