Eric Gorr and the 225 kit?

Got questions? We got answers....

Eric Gorr and the 225 kit?

Post by Guest »

Hey guys, I am having a really hard time deciding on this 225 kit deal that Eric is offering. He is trying to hard sell me on it but I have some concerns such as...1. There is no going back after this is done without some major money for parts. 2. I am still concerned about HAVING to run race gas... just don't want to do it.
I know he is one of the best in the business... but I still don't think he can guarantee no race gas. Can he? :?
canyncarvr
Gold Member
Gold Member

Guarantee?

Post by canyncarvr »

Sorry. I don't think you should count on that!!

As you know, some riders have had the 225 kit put in...requested that it be done from a pump gas point of view...that's not what happened.

Those riders are now running some mix or complete race gas.

I had my cylinder ported by FRP. 'Moh better...but DON'T lose me ANY bottom!! 92 octane pump gas!!!!! NO RACE GAS will be used!!!'

Guess what I got back?

A pinging, detonating pretty much mess (imo). The head was pretty much left alone.

I sent the head up to Ron (RB-Designs) to try to 'fix' the problem. Thanks to Ron it's better than it was, but it still is a problem. I can make the noise go away with a 20% Trick-114 mix, but the bottom end takes a hit that I just can't live with. The slower burn of the Trick (my guess) just doesn't give me the juice I need on the very bottom. The Trick makes the thing run like a raped ape from 1/4 up...but the very bottom is where I ride most of the time!

Crappers! I did asked FRP about it. 'No reason' to have any pinging issues.

Well...I do.

This is the second time I've had port work done. First time was on my RD (twin 400 street yamaha if you don't know). I wanted only a 'tune up' on that, too. Done my a reputable tuner!! I ended up with a case inducted, won't run under 5000rpm piece of crap (sez me). Sure...fun to ride, but again..this is a bike that I put over 60K miles on before I gave it away (I'd put unported stock cylinders back on it by then). You don't get those kind'a miles by screaming up your favorite 10-mile stretch of curves at 8Krpm.

Oh...and the mileage took such a hit on my RD that I couldn't ride it out here (in the west). Fueling stops were too far apart after our friends (the EPA) made most mom&pop stations shut down.

Which is why I didn't go the 225 route. I GOTTA have the mileage I've got on my kdx (70 or so). A drop to the 50 miles per tank that some got with the 225 kit would render my kdx pretty much useless. ANY drop would do that...I'm not saying you will get 50MPT out of your 225, but you sure-as-heck will get less miles than you get now!!

And the kdx is already pretty tanky.....I don't want no IMS thing higher up than I've already got.

IMO....thanks for asking. ;)
Indawoods
Creator and Founder
Creator and Founder

Post by Indawoods »

Yeah... kinda what I was thinking. I really don't want to chance it. I have great bottom and top end now. I need it welded, cleanup bored and plated and thought while it was apart I might as well get another mod but wasn't sure if this was the way to go. Maybe a slight porting job but I don't want him to go overboard on that either. Like I said, it is just about perfect.
*** Administrator //***
****'95 KDX 200/****

"People ate cows a thousand years ago for the same reason we eat them now. Cause they are easy to catch.We're not savages,we're just lazy. A cheetah could taste like chocolate heroin. But will never know. Those bastards are fast!!! "
skipro3
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by skipro3 »

Hey Reth,
My riding bud's, KX500 came back from Gorr after he sent it to him for mo better everything, with the focus on the bottom end power. He loves it!! I don't know if it would do the same for the KDX, but it sounded to me like Eric will do whatever it is you request. So tell him exactly what you want from the bike, how you ride, where you ride, and don't screw it up. Then see whet happens. It would seem to me that if you weren't happy, he could swap the barrel for one he has around. I hear he has inventory.
Jerry

I'd rather be a smartass like carvr, than a dumbass like.... well, you fill in the blank!
Indawoods
Creator and Founder
Creator and Founder

225? Nah....

Post by Indawoods »

OK... I have made up my mind. No 225 kit, not even sending it to Eric. (nothing against him at all mind you) World of Powersports here in Decatur Illinois is one of Illinois largest dealerships, and I mean they sell every brand of whatever (even boats!) They said they would weld my cylinder, bore it, plate it for about $250. After checking around... this seems to be a great deal. Plus, they are local so I can go in and give 'em a piece of my mind if they screw it up! :twisted: But, they have a great reputation so I'm sure this won't come into play. I will just spend the extra money on the RB carb mod and DFIII Kit. I'm glad all that's worked out.... Man... decisions, decisions ! :?
*** Administrator //***
****'95 KDX 200/****

"People ate cows a thousand years ago for the same reason we eat them now. Cause they are easy to catch.We're not savages,we're just lazy. A cheetah could taste like chocolate heroin. But will never know. Those bastards are fast!!! "
Lutz
Supporting Member I
Supporting Member I

Post by Lutz »

Hi guys,
I realize that this is an older thread, and that a decision has already been made, but for people who may be looking into it in the future, I have some input on the 225 kit from Eric.

When I had the mods done, I requested that the bike run on pump gas. IMHO it does exactly as it should. I requested something on the order of mo better porting, but kind of biased toward the mid and top, so I'm not sure exactly which description it actually falls under. It does, however, chug very well right off the bottom, hits hard in the midrange, and revs much higher than stock. I use a Pro Circuit 'Works' pipe and MT DFII reedcage. I normally ride at about 1000-1700 feet of elevation. I have not measured static compression, nor have I measured port timing.

I have the bike jetted crisply, and it runs very well.

I have never experienced audible detonation under any type of acceleration. I do sometimes hear what I assume is mild detonation during sustained operation at higher vehicle speed and RPM with constant or slightly trailing throttle (letting off) around mid-throttle postions. It does not occur at wide open throttle. The only time this occurs is when I'm riding in 'desert style' conditions - very fast in upper gears for a very long time and the motor getting pretty hot. I have not noticed it when riding at lower speeds or on anything resembling a trail that requires actually slowing down.

I'm pretty sure what is happening in my case is just a result of a problem inherent to the type of carbs used on dirtbikes - when operating at high speed (ground and RPM) and slightly letting off the throttle, you can get into an excessively lean condition. People have burned up well-jetted stock bikes from the same type of situation.

IMO and experience, Eric can build a 225 to run on pump gas - though it is possible that he might not get it exactly right the first time based on the specifics of your situation (i.e. he may need to cut the head again to a more conservative configuration). Again IMO, I think Eric probably builds engines to get the best possible performance from the package - in this case, this may mean head geometries that are on the borderline of acceptability for pump gas, especially given the wide variations in quality and makeup of pump fuels.

Dang it I get long winded. :wink:
Keep It Simple Stupid
Indawoods
Creator and Founder
Creator and Founder

Post by Indawoods »

Well the new to me bike is going to get the 225 kit. And why not? I got it cheap and i have an extra cylinder in case it don't run on pump gas. But, I am going to express with extreme vigor that it must run on pump gas!
*** Administrator //***
****'95 KDX 200/****

m0rie
Supporting Member I
Supporting Member I

Post by m0rie »

Thats going to be pretty smooth Inda!
1989 KDX 200
2007 TTR-50E
skipro3
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by skipro3 »

Dang! I had a barrel and head for a H model 200 off eBay for $150 I just got rid of. Keep in mind, they are available for cheap if you wait for them. Go for the 225. Sounds like fun. Someday, I'll be sending in the KX250 for the 310 kit. It's supposed to turn the KX into a tractor. For now, though, it's PLENTY enough for me!!
Jerry

I'd rather be a smartass like carvr, than a dumbass like.... well, you fill in the blank!
fuzzy
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by fuzzy »

Even if you had to run some race gas/tolulene, 5gals of it would last a long time...Especially if it's not your primary bike. I mean of course TRY to get it done, but who knows what the end result will be....I'm sure you'll be happy, but the race gas result seems questionable. Get it!

I'm gonna have EG do a 265 on my WR, and I won't care if it needs some race gas % when done. It will give me some place to burn my unused kart fuel besides the John Deere.
'91 KDX 200 Project $300 KDX
'95 KDX 200 Project $600 KDX
'94 WR 250 Always a project
motorider200

Post by motorider200 »

Inda you will love the 225 kit that would be one of the first things I'd get if I were to get another KDX.
97 KDX200(225)- mine
01 KDX220- brothers
97 XR400- dads