Got questions? We got answers....
bws2
Gold Member
Gold Member

chasing the threads after a cylinder replate

Post by bws2 »

Regarding cylinder replating:

I saw this suggestion on Thumper Talk
"if you have a cylinder replated, run a chase or a bottom tap through all the holes. the cleaning process they use leaves a lot of burs in the aluminum threads as the contaminants leach out. there is enough to screw up the threads on the smaller bolts, and you will get very inaccurate torque readings"

For you guys who have had replating done, have you done this? If so, what did you use to chase the threads (a tap, or some other method)?

If not, would washing the cylinder then blowing compressed air into the holes work instead?

I worry about running a tap through aluminum holes, then because it could end up messing up the threads even worse.
gots_a_sol

Post by gots_a_sol »

Buy this: http://www.sears.com/craftsman-48-pc-sa ... lsrc=aw.ds

Much less aggressive than a tap for fixing/cleaning threads.
-Joe

Husky WR177 - KX125 (200 soon)
pumpguy
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by pumpguy »

Only had one cylinder replated and had no issues with tapped holes. All studs went back in with no problems.

That said, if I found any holes where the studs did not thread in easily, I would run a tap into them to clean them up. Best quality taps have precision ground threads and are made of high speed steel to close tolerance dimensions.

The last thing you want is to use a low quality chaser or tap with machine cut threads and questionable dimensions. Using these types of tools, IMO, could result in an oversize or possibly cross threaded hole that would be prone to strip out.
Tyl3r
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Re: chasing the threads after a cylinder replate

Post by Tyl3r »

After I got mine back from Powerseal, they had a paper in the box saying to chase all of the threads. Since I didn't have any chasers, I just ran a tap through each hole. IIRC, I think I spun them all in with my fingers, I didn't have to put the tool on to get more leverage. I wouldn't sweat it too much. You're not cutting any threads here, just making sure they are cleaned out. I didn't run into any problems on mine.
04/05 KX220 Hybrid all decked out
18 KTM 500 EXC-F Dual Sport/Sumo toy
24 KTM 300XC-W Cheater bike
bws2
Gold Member
Gold Member

Re: chasing the threads after a cylinder replate

Post by bws2 »

Thank you gots_o_sol, pumpguy and Tyl3r for the replies.