Top end question/problem

Got questions? We got answers....
SamJ

Top end question/problem

Post by SamJ »

Hello, I have recently started taking the top end apart for a rebuild. I opened the advancer shaft lever cover to find there was no nut on the end of the shaft. It has been welded, :shock: Im guessing from an past accident or something. So basically Im a huge newb and dont know fully what to do. Maybe try to work around the advancer shaft? cause I dont think its coming off anytime soon... Any advice is appreciated Thanks

Also I know I should have cleaned it up better but no pressure washer and i did my best with garden hose and toothbrush...
Last edited by SamJ on 06:57 pm Nov 17 2016, edited 1 time in total.
SamJ

Re: Top end question/problem

Post by SamJ »

canamfan
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Top end question/problem

Post by canamfan »

That was originally a nut on there with left hand thread. They get twisted off reguraly. I believe there's a set screw under that rubber cover towards the bottom, that you can remove and pull the shaft out. It's been awhile, since I had one apart but I'm sure you can work around it. Take your time and study it, take things apart take pics before, for reference.
Tedh98
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by Tedh98 »

Take the side cover off so you can pull the cylinder.
SamJ

Post by SamJ »

The shaft doesnt really hinder pulling the cylinder because it slides up and out of the way some. It is going to make taking that bottom coolant hose off a pain though. Also my back engine mount is being a real pain. The bolts are seized up real good and are allen key heads and welded nut ends. its sitting in wd-40 right now, gonna give it another try because there for sure in the way of the cylinder removal. The piston and cylinder look good from what I can see (just the top and inside). compression is at 145 and I now know for sure after seeing the top of the piston that its a wiseco in there. Dont know how many hours on it though. KIPS are decently all spooged but seem to be working. Im scared to go much further lol
SamJ

Post by SamJ »

These dang things will not come off!

Also any thoughts on the piston and cylinder from these pictures?

KDXGarage
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by KDXGarage »

Just because one can weld does not mean one should. JEEZ.
Thank you for participating on kdxrider.net. :bravo:
To post pictures from a device: viewtopic.php?f=88&t=24128
doakley
Gold Member
Gold Member

Top end question/problem

Post by doakley »

I hate it when people bugger up a nice bike like this. Those Allen bolts have to go. Try some PB Blaster or Mouse Milk with heat and maybe tapping with a hammer on the nuts. They should eventually release but if not , I'd cut them off with a Dremel tool.

Next time you might clean up the tight spots better with some brake cleaner before you start taking it apart. (Wear eye protection when you spray brake cleaner in tight spots.)
SamJ

Top end question/problem

Post by SamJ »

I got those allen bolts off and removed the cylinder. Also removed some dirt/grease to with some brake cleaner, that stuff is great :grin:
I think Im going to take the piston and cylinder to get looked at since I dont know whats good/bad. Im gonna get some help removing the KIPS parts too. Im scared to break the teeth on the gear when trying to remove the main shaft nut. Also can not get the valve rod plugs (allen) to budge :roll: