Once again "it won't start"

Got questions? We got answers....
KDXMainer

Post by KDXMainer »

I rode this bike last about 10 days ago and it was fine. Usually starts on the 4 th or 5th kick, which in my opinion is to much. I played with the air screw after it was warmed up and got the bike running really good. This was in Maine. I'm now down in SC and took it to an atv park. Bike wouldn't start. I kicked it about 40 or 50 times, finally gave up and now have it back in my driveway. I put a new plug in along with starter fluid and still nothing. Not even a pop. The bike still has spark so that's not the issue this time. How can this bike not start with starter fluid in the cylinder? I'm still at sea level the same as Maine so the jetting shouldn't be an issue. I've tried moving the air screw backwards and fowward but the bike still won't start. Any ideas what could be the problem? If I do get the bike started what needs to be done to solve this hard starting issue once and for all? A larger pilot screw? Thanks Mike
2006 KDX200
1998 KDX220
KDXGarage
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Re: Once again "it won't start"

Post by KDXGarage »

Fire, fuel and air

Sounds like you have fuel solved with starter fluid, so check the other two
Thank you for participating on kdxrider.net. :bravo:
To post pictures from a device: viewtopic.php?f=88&t=24128
Dekon
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by Dekon »

It could be a weak CDI. If you have spark with the plug out but can't get started fluid to fire, it sounds like a weak/no spark. When the plug is in the head you have all the compression to overcome in order to get a spark. Could be that. IDK
G22inSC
Supporting Member I
Supporting Member I

Post by G22inSC »

You might think this is stupid but make sure the exhaust is not blocked up in some form or fashion. Crazier things have happened between rides.
'05 Kaw KDX200 ('00 KX125 forks / '02 RM125 Showa "K2" shock)
'14 Yam YZ125(x) (oldest boy's)
'22 Yam YZ125X (youngest boy's)
'17 Yam YZ85 (soon to be FOR SALE)
'10 Honda Recon (wife's)
'08 Kaw KX65 (Sold)
'07 KTM 50SX Sr. (Sold)
'09 Yam PW50 (retired)
'97 Kaw KX250 (Sold)

Gallery

2005 KDX200 Bike Profile
KDXMainer

Post by KDXMainer »

I got it started. I spent so much time dealing with the no spark issue when I first got it in ever did clean the carb. I took the jets out and they were plugged with dirt. The bike starts right up now. However I'll be interested to see how it starts tomorrow when it's cold. Would be happy to be finally done tinkering with this bike.
2006 KDX200
1998 KDX220
bufftester
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by bufftester »

May as well check the petcock filter if you had dirt in your jets. Glad to hear you got it sorted.
KDXohio
Supporting Member

Post by KDXohio »

bufftester wrote:May as well check the petcock filter if you had dirt in your jets. Glad to hear you got it sorted.
agreed or add an inline filter
1990 KDX200 FMF Fatty, Answer VFC silencer, VForce 3 Cage, Wiseco Piston, KX125-J series KYB USD fork conversion, Race tech goldvalves, J series front brake assembly, air-box snorkel removed, Acerbis Headlight, KX450F Front fender, Pro Taper RM bend bars, ASV front Brake lever, MSR Clutch perch and lever, RB Head mod, 36mm PWK carb, Trail Tech Kickstand.
KDXMainer

Post by KDXMainer »

Bike started on second kick this morning. It's never done that before. Could this bike finally be fixed and actually be reliable? We'll see.
2006 KDX200
1998 KDX220
bufftester
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by bufftester »

I can let mine sit for a couple months and it starts by the 3rd kick every time. Once you get the bugs out and keep up on the maintenance these bikes will outlast most folk's riding career.
KDXGarage
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by KDXGarage »

My '87 sat for 9.5 years one time. It started on the fifth kick. If you are kicking more than that, you MAY have a problem. :mrgreen:
Thank you for participating on kdxrider.net. :bravo:
To post pictures from a device: viewtopic.php?f=88&t=24128
mtbfree

Post by mtbfree »

Yep, we just fired up my dad's old '82 after it sat for about 10 years. Replaced the fuel line and it started on the 4th or 5th kick.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk
ohgood
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by ohgood »

KDXMainer wrote:Bike started on second kick this morning. It's never done that before. Could this bike finally be fixed and actually be reliable? We'll see.

It's ALWAYS something simple with kdx's:
sheared rotor key
clogged jet
fuel turned off (yep)
no fuel
pipe clogged up with a mouse nest
pipe clogged up with dirt
pipe clogged up with you see a pattern
choke off
etc

during the winter i'll lay mine all the way over on the left (because left side is the side i mount from) side until fuel pours out the overflow, to make sure the bowl is full... one or two full rotations of the kicker, then BLWAPPppppp purrrrrrrr and she's running. works the same in 70f and 30f weather. oh ya, clean your air filter, it's pretty much the BEST thing you can do to make the engine last longer !