Slanted bars

Got questions? We got answers....
Ryan
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Slanted bars

Post by Ryan »

When i got the bike i thought that the bars were bent. but apon further analysis i figured out that the rubber bushings that hold the bar mounts on were not right. These are very very hard to get out so i figured heck i will just buy a used triple tree. The guy said his bars were straight on the bike. Well when i put this one on i figured out that this triple tree has the same problem, is there an easy to fix this? And is there a way to tell if it is my bars?? I dont think it is but it is possible.
2001 kdx220

1987 honda xl250
Colorado Mike
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Colorado Mike »

The rubber bushings are not hard to get out. Just loosen the nuts underneath a lot, loosen the bar clamps too. Wiggle the bars around so everything is free and loose, then tighten up the bushing nuts, then the bar clamps. The torque specs are in the manual. Putting a one-piece bar mount on helps a lot to prevent bar twist. it is possible the fork tubes are twisted in the clamps. Hmm, if I recall correctly, you had all this disassembled recently.... anyway, if that's the case, you need to loosen and re-align all that stuff. Check skipro's post in the conversion section on how to do that, it pertains to KX forks, but the principle is the same.
Mike

Life's tough, it's even tougher if you're stupid.
'04 KDX220
Ryan
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by Ryan »

when i make the triple tree parallel with the bike the bars seem to be tilted to the right, its not a big deal but i want to fix it to see what it is like to ride with straight bars, is there any way to tell if my bars are bent? or do i have to take them to a dealer to have them check??
2001 kdx220

1987 honda xl250
KDXer
Supporting Member

Post by KDXer »

Take them off and lay them on a flat surface, any imperfections should be obvious.

"I want to die peacefully in my sleep like my grandfather, not screaming in terror like the passengers in his car."