KDX 200 stopping we low on fuel

Got questions? We got answers....
DeKay

KDX 200 stopping we low on fuel

Post by DeKay »

Hi there Anyone out there with this issue. My KDX200 2006 runs sweet until the gas get low in the tank then it will start and run but when you open the throttle it will bog out and seem starved of fuel, i switch to reserve and it runs a bit better until the same symptoms happen again. Once the tank is filled up again it runs without issue. Is it the head height in the tank making the difference or do i have issues. any help or people experiencing the same will be most helpful. cheers
bufftester
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Re: KDX 200 stopping we low on fuel

Post by bufftester »

Sounds like you might have a partially clogged petcock screen. Full tank of fuel you have gravity and the weight of the fuel pushing it through, but when it gets low there's less weight pushing. I had a similar problem on my early GSXRs, ran fine with full tank, dog when nearly empty, cleaned out the tank and all was well. It's at least worth a check since it's easy to do.
doakley
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by doakley »

Suggest cleaning the tank and fuel pet clock (disassemble to clean). Also check that the vent tube on your tank filler cap is clean and the check valve is working properly.
DeKay

Post by DeKay »

Thanks guys i will try your suggestions and let you know first time using this forum and its awesome. cheers
DeKay

Post by DeKay »

How do i add thanks to the people that replied.
6 Riders
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by 6 Riders »

DeKay wrote:How do i add thanks to the people that replied.
The little "thumb" icon in the upper right corner of their post gives them a "thanks".
Since you are removing your petcock and having fueling issues....I'd like to recommend picking up a petcock for a KX 100 and recommend you replace your vent tube and fuel line. The KX 100 petcock is MUCH shorter than the KDX petcock (distance from the bottom of the tank to the bottom of the petcock). It's a bolt on replacement and you keep reserve.
As for fuel line, I've started using clear fuel line that I get from RMATV and I only use "freeflo" vent tubes any more. Those "Fly racing" tubes that dealers sell are sub-par. Freeflo also sells a carb vent kit for cheap, I love it. Not only does it look good, but the tubes last forever...Wish they sold fuel line,

http://www.freeflohose.com/products.html
newbbewb wrote:^what he said.
masterblaster wrote:Man 6 riders you rock.
*side note...I'm drunk, so try to read what I'm trying to say, instead of what I actually type
hrchins

Post by hrchins »

6 Riders wrote: 11:59 pm Jan 03 2017
DeKay wrote:How do i add thanks to the people that replied.
Since you are removing your petcock and having fueling issues....I'd like to recommend picking up a petcock for a KX 100 and recommend you replace your vent tube and fuel line. The KX 100 petcock is MUCH shorter than the KDX petcock (distance from the bottom of the tank to the bottom of the petcock). It's a bolt on replacement and you keep reserve.
As for fuel line, I've started using clear fuel line that I get from RMATV and I only use "freeflo" vent tubes any more. Those "Fly racing" tubes that dealers sell are sub-par. Freeflo also sells a carb vent kit for cheap, I love it. Not only does it look good, but the tubes last forever...Wish they sold fuel line,
Hi 6 Riders - What year KX100 does the replacement petcock come off of? Also, I am looking at the Fuel Star replacement kit on RMATV but the close up pic doesnt look like it has a reserve selection on it
kdxsully
Supporting Member

Post by kdxsully »

What about just removing the screens and using an in line filter?
I like turtles
bufftester
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by bufftester »

You could do that, if you trust the in line filters. Most bikes there's very little room to fit an inline between the petcock and the carb. The screen is easily cleaned with a little light air pressure and a fine bristle brush. If it's damaged then an inline is a good way to go if you can fit it.
doakley
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by doakley »

May sound silly but make sure the check valve in the fuel cap vent line is installed correctly. Mine was backwards!
bufftester
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by bufftester »

I've never used those stubby vent lines with the check valve, prefer the OEM long hose tucked down in the steering tube, helps keep the cap from falling off and getting kicked around for me lol.