Anyone ever replace float valve seat?

Got questions? We got answers....
muddymike

Post by muddymike »

I have polished the seat, replaced float needle and the float but the carb still overflows. So was wondering if anyone ever replaced the seat and if so where to get a new one
pumpguy
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by pumpguy »

Got to thinking about this problem. Are you sure your gas cap vent is open to atmosphere?

Many times my gas cans (with closed off vents) will have a positive pressure developed inside that vents off when I open the can to re-fuel something. Before venting off the pressure, I can actually see the sides of the (plastic) can bulged out from this built up pressure.

If your gas tank has a blocked off vent, that positive pressure that develops pushes out in all directions including the fuel line and carb float valve. A pressurized fuel line could cause float valve leakage that otherwise would not occur.

Of course a blocked vent will also cause fuel starvation due to a vacuum forming inside the tank as fuel is drained off.

Kind of a far out idea I know, but this is something to think about.
muddymike

Re: Anyone ever replace float valve seat?

Post by muddymike »

pumpguy you posted in my last QnA post about how it overflows after riding for an hour or so hard/hot. I'm actually finding more info googling pwk 35 issues and finding many more similar probs on atv sites. I'm surprised nobody has had this issue on this site. Everyone on this site seems to think the seat is not replaceable but I have replaced these kind of seats on lawn mowers plenty of times and they weren't hard to find (actually came with the carb kit. Why doesnt jetsrus have this). So far I can't find 1 for pwk ( all you do to replace is thread/tap the old seat, pull it out, heat up the carb body then drop in the new). I'm close to buying a new pwk 35 since the $175 for a new one doesn't seem that bad compared to this massive PITMFAPOSMFSACSSOBPBMFPOS. (translation: pain in the mfn a, POS, mutha scuffin, cork suckin bastich. Son of a biscuit eater, Piece of soffit.) leaky carb. I've spent enough replaceing parts for the carb to buy a new 1 already. nother possibility is a hair line crack in the carb body around the float needle area but I have blown threw the gas inlet while holding the float up and no blow by even when blowing till my face turned blue. I can ride the kdx rite now but too hi float level sucks when you try to slow down to do somethin tech. I'm leaning towards buying a new carb right now.
Marker90125

Post by Marker90125 »

I've been battling the same issue for quite some time. Tried cleaning, cleaning, wooden dowel with dry sand paper, etc. Will not stop leaking out of the overflow. Looked for new seats, etc. About ready to buy a new carb. Will the Airstiker replace the stock PWK35 on a 1989?
muddymike

Post by muddymike »

Yes. I put the AS on mine and am so happy i finally spent the $ now no leak. My kdx is a 1990 so its the same. The AS will take away alil room between the choke handle and the gas tank so if i engage the choke it is difficult to turn it off while on the bike so now i just pull up enough to open the choke circuit w/o it locking in place. Other than that the AS is great but did kinda take away alil top end while giving better bottom. I have the slide and needle from the original pwk in the AS with needle clip 4 down. Also had to go up to a 165 main. Thats with a completely fresh motor a fmf fatty and fmf NF silencer n no airbox top. I got the AS for $180 @ jetsrus. Beware of ebay carbs some are cheap clones. If u can afford get get the AS from ron black with the carb mods. I may still send mine to him if i keep the kdx.
Jasper

Post by Jasper »

Maybe your float is leak?