Carb still overflows after lots of adjustand replacing parts

Got questions? We got answers....
muddymike

Post by muddymike »

Carb is cleaned and rebuilt with new float valve, no junk in brass valve housing, straightened and squared the float as best i could, shook float and heard no liquid inside, adjusted the float by blowing through gas inlet and set it lower than parallel but it still leaks after bike is hot and after jumping. It doesnt leak when im at the house. Just this mornin i figured id take the carb back apart to look at it again and the float sealed perfectly no overflow when on kickstand or when leaned. No rich bog. Only after riding it hard for an hour or so. Anyone with a similar experience that knows of something else im missing? Ive heard not to polish the brass housing but anyone solve this problem by polishing? New float is on the way also.
royadams
Supporting Member I
Supporting Member I

Re: Carb still overflows after lots of adjustand replacing p

Post by royadams »

Ive polished the housing before to stop a leak. But its usually the seat that leaks.i polish mine with a qtip. I doubt thats your intermittent problem, couldn't hurt to try. It almost sounds like a pinhole leak in the float. The way it leaks only after use.
muddymike

Post by muddymike »

I do run the bowl dry everytime maybe ill leave some gas in the bowl overnite then see if theres any gas in the float. Thanx.
pumpguy
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by pumpguy »

Does the leakage when the bike is standing vertical, or when it's resting on the side stand?

Regardless, it's always best to turn the tap off when you're not riding the bike.
KDXGarage
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by KDXGarage »

Any symptoms of fuel tap leaking?
Thank you for participating on kdxrider.net. :bravo:
To post pictures from a device: viewtopic.php?f=88&t=24128
bufftester
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by bufftester »

Double check your float needle tip and the seat, and properly set your float height (you can't set it properly by blowing through the inlet). Much easier to troubleshoot when you have everything set to spec as a baseline.
muddymike

Post by muddymike »

I left gas in the bowl overnite then this morning turned on the petcock and it still hasnt leaked for hours. It seriously only does it after hard riding. Im taking the carb back apart but im sure the float is still not bent perfectly back to how it was from factory and catching on the bowl when it gets hot but the new float should fix that and im gona polish the seat
firsthere
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by firsthere »

I have bought used bikes that needed a full fuel system rebuild. Of note is my 650r which had the petcock rubber seals inside deteriorate and occasionally send chucks down the line to the float bowl that eventually stuck in the needle/seat. Once that was fixed and the needle replaced it still overflowed on the stand. It turned out the seat was corroded so I took a 3/16 dowel to a pencil sharpener, then used fine compound to polish the brass seat. Also installed a clear inline filter for added insurance which I noticed has plastic shavings from the new fuel tank.