1990 KDX 200 Kick starter replacement

Got questions? We got answers....
landverraad

Post by landverraad »

Hi guys, new to the forums. Bought a 1990 KDX 200 a couple of days ago. The kickstarter really has a lot of wear on it and is really loose, both the boss and the arm seem to be worn out. I've tried a big seller of parts here in the Netherlands but can't find the replacement kick starter there. I read that it might be possible to use a 1998 KX250 boss and arm, if so does this fit right away or do I need to change anything? Thanks!
pumpguy
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by pumpguy »

Besides replacing the parts, you could look into having the parts built up with weld and then re-machine to nice close clearances.

That's what I did with my severely worn kick start lever and boss.
landverraad

Re: 1990 KDX 200 Kick starter replacement

Post by landverraad »

Yeah I already saw a guide with photos of someone doing that, the thing is I don't own a welding machine and don't have the welding skills needed. This would be a nice opportunity to learn but I think in this case it will be easier to replace it. After that I can always see if I can built up the worn out one.
Julien D
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Re: 1990 KDX 200 Kick starter replacement

Post by Julien D »

the 98 kx250 boss and arm will fit and work ok.
landverraad

Post by landverraad »

I eventually replaced the kick starter with 98 kx 250 one but I'm running into the problem that it won't fold up nicely. It has to be in a counter clockwise position to be able to fold but then the kick assembly starts rattling when the engine is running because it is not in a neutral position. The base of the lever is hitting the clutch cover when tucked in, has anybody here dealt with this issue?