straight gas vs 10%ethanol/gas

Got questions? We got answers....
bultaco4ever
Supporting Member I
Supporting Member I

Post by bultaco4ever »

Straight gas is hard to find in Illinois. But I found a station that sells it. Does anyone think jetting is different for straight gas versus ethanol?
royadams
Supporting Member I
Supporting Member I

Re: straight gas vs 10%ethanol/gas

Post by royadams »

I would think ethanol fuel would require a little richer jetting.
firsthere
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by firsthere »

Could 10% ethanol contribute to spooge also? :vom:
Sullyfam
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Sullyfam »

I have swapped between the two and have noticed no difference in jetting or spooge.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
TRUAX
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by TRUAX »

If you can get ethanol free, use ethanol free.
Jaguar
Supporting Member

Post by Jaguar »

I just switched from 15% ethanol to non-ethanol gas and I had to lean out the jetting.
The non-ethanol gas burns hotter which moved my powerband up since hotter exhaust means faster wave speed in the pipe.
Performance CDI -- KDX motocross mods -- the SR KDX -- expansion chamber analysis---> http://www.dragonfly75.com/moto/
javjacob

Post by javjacob »

Check out pure-gas.org to find all the local stations that sell non ethanol. There is no need to run that ethanol garbage unless you have no other choice. I only use non ethanol in all my small engines and only run ethanol in my car and truck.
2000 Kawasaki KDX220R
1996 Kawasaki KDX200
bultaco4ever
Supporting Member I
Supporting Member I

Post by bultaco4ever »

So...the consensus is ethanol=richer....straight gas=leaner.....thanks.
Fitterman24
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by Fitterman24 »

Ethanol = alcohol . It burns at roughly twice the rate of straight gasoline. My bikes are only fed "marine" fuel here in Missouri. How could it not mess with jetting? Ethanol/alcohol also equals water. Carbs are made of aluminum. Have you seen what ethanol fuel does to them when that fuel is allowed to sit in the carb if the bike isn't ridden often? We have E-85 here. Sure it's cheaper, but your fuel mileage suffers. Iowa is full of it. Hard to find non-ethanol gas when I go see family there.
firsthere
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by firsthere »

Fitterman24 wrote:Ethanol = alcohol . It burns at roughly twice the rate of straight gasoline. My bikes are only fed "marine" fuel here in Missouri. How could it not mess with jetting? Ethanol/alcohol also equals water. Carbs are made of aluminum. Have you seen what ethanol fuel does to them when that fuel is allowed to sit in the carb if the bike isn't ridden often? We have E-85 here. Sure it's cheaper, but your fuel mileage suffers. Iowa is full of it. Hard to find non-ethanol gas when I go see family there.
Makes sense, when they began sneaking ethanol into the California gasoline back in the early 2000's, my XR600 began pinging, took a while to figure out why.
bultaco4ever
Supporting Member I
Supporting Member I

Post by bultaco4ever »

I've been using E85 for the last 7 years. I drain my tank often...if I don't expect to ride soon. The engines run ok on the stuff. Two strokes only for me.
cornishwrecker220

Post by cornishwrecker220 »

Over here in the UK you can purchase a kit called "Ethanil" & it separates the ethanol from your fuel, the remaining ethanol can be easily drained off leaving your fuel ethanol free!
Apparently in 3rd world countries the ethanol can be consumed as a cheap form of vodka ...personally I'd rather stick to Smirnoff ! :rolleyes:
Jaguar
Supporting Member

Post by Jaguar »

Bultaco4ever, consider the fact that ethanol dries out all rubber parts, including the crank seals. I've ran E85 the last couple years just because I didn't know where to buy the non-ethanol stuff (here in Paraguay). Now that I know I will never go back to using ethanol gas.
Performance CDI -- KDX motocross mods -- the SR KDX -- expansion chamber analysis---> http://www.dragonfly75.com/moto/
ICRage42
Supporting Member

Post by ICRage42 »

My kdx loves non ethanol. I just pick up a couple extra gallons at the marina. Most lake bait shop/marina sell non ethanol for boats. This is slowly changing but there is alot of two stroke boat engines still in use. Well atleast around me I seen.

If I cant find any I just usually get like 6 gallons of 93 and make sure to pump about a gallon into my truck before filling can supposedly there resides about a gallon of whatever was pumped before. So if you just buy a gallon of premium you actually get a gallon of 85 more then likely. This is what I jetted to with klotz 40 to 1. Either works fine with my jetting.

85 the kdx doesnt lug well and the boat motor doesnt want to idle while cruising slow with a little stutter. Better gas those symptoms disappear.
If you cant fix it with a hammer, you have an electrical problem.