Turning

Got questions? We got answers....
KDXSPODE

Turning

Post by KDXSPODE »

I was very surprised to find that my 2006 KDX 200 does not like to turn. In my inaugural ride I spoke of last week I had mentioned this. Here are my symptoms.

1). Feels like the front tire has no traction, wants to push, and has to be forced to initiate the turn.

2). Once I get it to finally turn it immediately wants to under-steer and low side if I do not quickly get on the gas.

It is either doing one or the other and has a very very small sweet spot in between where turning feels predictable and comfortable.

Things I know that may be causing this. Tires are 10 years old and the rubber is probably junk. The compression is way too stiff. Forks may need to have the air bled, and the oil changed, the fork tubes could be slid up for a steeper rake. Sag needs to be set? And I could drop 35lbs of cg in my belly?

I am very curious if any of you also experience this? I once had an 05 250F that I track rode and remember this feeling. I was never able to get rid of it. Love your ideas and opinions please?

Ok, gonna go pressure wash last weekend off of it.
Thanks for your opinions guys. :supz:
KDXohio
Supporting Member

Re: Turning

Post by KDXohio »

I would definitely start by servicing the forks and if the front tire is that bad replace that too and see how it rides once freshened up.
Springing and valving the forks or doing a fork swap are also things to consider as well. I was amazed how much just a respring helps overall suspension performance.
1990 KDX200 FMF Fatty, Answer VFC silencer, VForce 3 Cage, Wiseco Piston, KX125-J series KYB USD fork conversion, Race tech goldvalves, J series front brake assembly, air-box snorkel removed, Acerbis Headlight, KX450F Front fender, Pro Taper RM bend bars, ASV front Brake lever, MSR Clutch perch and lever, RB Head mod, 36mm PWK carb, Trail Tech Kickstand.
KDXGarage
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by KDXGarage »

What have you done top the suspension? Do you have 10 year old oil to go along with the hard plastic tires?

Which tire on what terrain?
Thank you for participating on kdxrider.net. :bravo:
To post pictures from a device: viewtopic.php?f=88&t=24128
doakley
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by doakley »

I'd recommend servicing the suspension, front and rear. If the tire is that bad, I'd swap it out. If you don't have the correct springs for your riding weight, haven't set the sag, are using Lord only knows how old oil in the forks, you can't evaluate the handling. Also, look on this site for the shim mod for stock forks. Makes a HUGE difference.
ohgood
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Turning

Post by ohgood »

KDXSPODE wrote:I was very surprised to find that my 2006 KDX 200 does not like to turn. In my inaugural ride I spoke of last week I had mentioned this. Here are my symptoms.

1). Feels like the front tire has no traction, wants to push, and has to be forced to initiate the turn.

2). Once I get it to finally turn it immediately wants to under-steer and low side if I do not quickly get on the gas.

It is either doing one or the other and has a very very small sweet spot in between where turning feels predictable and comfortable.

Things I know that may be causing this. Tires are 10 years old and the rubber is probably junk. The compression is way too stiff. Forks may need to have the air bled, and the oil changed, the fork tubes could be slid up for a steeper rake. Sag needs to be set? And I could drop 35lbs of cg in my belly?

I am very curious if any of you also experience this? I once had an 05 250F that I track rode and remember this feeling. I was never able to get rid of it. Love your ideas and opinions please?

Ok, gonna go pressure wash last weekend off of it.
Thanks for your opinions guys. :supz:

ten year old tires.... ya think that might do it ?

service the bike, kdx's LOVE to turn
KDXSPODE

Post by KDXSPODE »

Haha!
Yes, 10 year old oil as far as I know! I know better! :rolleyes: And yes, I have made my living selling tires since 1991. I know the rubber is shot. I am a fatty for the stock springs.

I am definitely going to service the forks. I am not going to do springs as of yet. The riding I am doing for now is way mellow. I will now change out the front tire and dial a little compression out of the forks.

Thanks for all your advice guys!
Great responses. :yawinkle:
canamfan
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Turning

Post by canamfan »

To much rear sag will definetly cause the front to push, plus old hard tires doesn't help. You need around 4 inches of sag.
KDXGarage
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by KDXGarage »

Without proper setup, a bike will not have proper handling.
Thank you for participating on kdxrider.net. :bravo:
To post pictures from a device: viewtopic.php?f=88&t=24128