Lost ignition suddenly/need guidance.

Got questions? We got answers....
victor_y

Lost ignition suddenly/need guidance.

Post by victor_y »

Hello, I just joined and am the happy new owner of a 2000 KDX200. It was running fine for a few weekends after I dialed in the carbs but wouldn't restart after my first ride a few weekends ago. I've checked the basics like spark plug and fuel. Pulled the plug and could see a blue spark when turning over the engine, and checked the float valve again. It just won't ignite the fuel. Is it possible that something is just far enough out of spec that I could still have a spark but just not enough juice to make the bike fire? The resistance between the stator coil and ground is 340ohms. I have a backup voltage regulator and new ignition coil on the way but am holding off on a CDI or stator coil until I know more about my problem. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Thanks,
Victor
bufftester
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Re: Lost ignition suddenly/need guidance.

Post by bufftester »

If you have spark, then it has to be air or fuel. Did you measure the stator resistance between the white/red and black wires after disconnecting them from the CDI? The voltage regulator is good for nothing other than lights, has no impact on the ignition system. If you're getting spark your ignition coil is working, as is your CDI. Way outside chance that your stator plate has rotated , changing the timing, but a really wild shot. More likely air or fuel. Clean your filter, new plug, check the reeds and mechanical condition of the intake/exhaust (no cracks in boots, air leaks )
Jaguar
Supporting Member

Post by Jaguar »

actually you can have spark outside the engine but not inside it if the spark is weak. That is because the compression inside the engine makes the plug require more voltage to spark the gap. If you feel this is happening then just lessen the spark gap (given that you'v already cleaned it thoroughly).
I'm not 100% sure but I think the stator plate and screws have to be clean of corrosion because that metal to metal contact is the sparks ground path.
Performance CDI -- KDX motocross mods -- the SR KDX -- expansion chamber analysis---> http://www.dragonfly75.com/moto/
doakley
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by doakley »

Will it bump start? Take the carb apart and clean it thoroughly. Put in a new plug to eliminate that possibility. While the carb is off pull and check the reeds too. Before you put in the plug, push the kick lever through 10-15 times. Turn on pet clock just long enough to fill the bowl, maybe count to 3-7. If it doesn't crank in 3-5 kicks, try bump starting in 2nd.
KDXohio
Supporting Member

Post by KDXohio »

Try a new plug before anything else. If it's a fouled plug you'll be chasing your tail
1990 KDX200 FMF Fatty, Answer VFC silencer, VForce 3 Cage, Wiseco Piston, KX125-J series KYB USD fork conversion, Race tech goldvalves, J series front brake assembly, air-box snorkel removed, Acerbis Headlight, KX450F Front fender, Pro Taper RM bend bars, ASV front Brake lever, MSR Clutch perch and lever, RB Head mod, 36mm PWK carb, Trail Tech Kickstand.