Too much smoke?

Got questions? We got answers....
Moebraap

Too much smoke?

Post by Moebraap »

I ride a 1990 KDX 200 e series. I feel like my 2 stroke is putting out more smoke then usual. Is that ok?
pumpguy
Gold Member
Gold Member

Too much smoke?

Post by pumpguy »

Have you noticed any change in coolant or gearbox oil level? Leaking seals could cause smoke.
Dekon
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Too much smoke?

Post by Dekon »

If it is really smokey, I'd bet on the right side crank seal.
Gixxer340
Supporting Member I
Supporting Member I

Re: Too much smoke?

Post by Gixxer340 »

How much smoke it too much smoke? I wonder about this with my bike as well. I run Caster 927 @ 40:1 and it smokes quite a bit at startup. Seems to clear up after a while but i remember thinking to myself the last time I started it up that it was smoking a bit. Is the easiest way to diagnose (if necessary) checking the fluid levels as advised above?

-jeff
- 2001 KDX200 - KX front forks, RB head and carb mods, Gnarly pipe

-The true measure of a man is how he treats someone who can do absolutely nothing for him - unknown
Dekon
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Too much smoke?

Post by Dekon »

I run 40:1 also and get some smoke. But when I'm on the gas, I get virtually none. Have you gone through the jetting guide? Makes a huge difference in how the bike runs and how much smoke it produces.

As for the crank seal, I knew when it was gone on mine because I was leaving a smoke screen behind me. A riding buddy was meeting me one day in the woods after work and said he could tell what trails I took because of all the smoke. It was bad. Used 1/2 a quart of trans oil on a 20 mile ride. Split the cases the next week.
Moebraap

Post by Moebraap »

maybe it can be all the carbon built up in the exhaust? I mean its a 1990?
Jim B

Post by Jim B »

When I first bought my 220 it smoked a lot. I eventually realized the reeds were pretty worn. Replacing them helped reduce the smoke. Also, the jet block gasket in the carb was no good. Same thing with that; replacing it reduced smoke and fuel consumption significantly.
Moebraap

Post by Moebraap »

Jim B wrote:When I first bought my 220 it smoked a lot. I eventually realized the reeds were pretty worn. Replacing them helped reduce the smoke. Also, the jet block gasket in the carb was no good. Same thing with that; replacing it reduced smoke and fuel consumption significantly.

Hows the easiest way to do the reeds? Like the carb, is there a way to slide it out the way and pull the reed cage out
bufftester
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by bufftester »

To pull the reeds you have to pull the carb. Not difficult, takes just a few minutes and you can leave the throttle cable connected. As for the smoke, if you're not losing trans oil, and the performance hasn't changed, and you haven't changed brands of oil or ratios you're probably fine. My dads 93 smokes more than my 220 and we have it jetted as cleanly as we can get it and run the same oil/gas/ratio. A leakdown test will verify your motors health pretty quickly, but takes a bit to set up.
Jim B

Post by Jim B »

BTW, what oil are you using? I've found big differences in how 'clean' different oils burn.
Moebraap

Post by Moebraap »

Ohhh got ya buddy. When i first bought the bike did a full tune up on it. So changed the oil and all that. Maybe a gasket is torn or something. Im puzzled :shock: