126mi Maiden Voyage (new to me) 2006 KDX200 [PICS & VIDEO]

Got questions? We got answers....
KDXSPODE

Post by KDXSPODE »

So after getting this bike home I began to go all through it as I have mentioned before. I finally got to take it out for a ride. I have not ridden in 2.5 years. And I came off an 08 CR450. One of those "I should'a never sold" bikes. I also had not ridden a 2-stroke since 1999.

As I had also mentioned before, my nephew had been pestering me with riding photos the last couple years. He belongs to a riding group out in Lake Havasu Az. Well now the season has begun due to lower temperatures. And for this reason is why I went out and bought the cleanest KDX I could find. The ride was scheduled to be around 130 miles.

I am 35 lbs over weight, out of shape, and almost 50. I knew I was going to be challenged. But I have to say I really enjoyed the ride. It is mostly dry desert terrain. Basically rocks, sand, and super hard pack. We did make our way into some water crossings and eventually paradise at the very end. It was a tad hot for me at right around 100-102. So the water was welcomed as at one point late in the ride I thought I may be pushing myself a little too hard.

THE BIKE:
Ahh the Kawis.... I remember now! They don't want to settle into a turn, they want to push and then all of the sudden under-steer! I have owned several Kawis in the past. And I remember this feeling with this 05-06 Perimeter frame bikes all too well. It was also still way too rich on the bottom with a 45/155 & middle clip. We did a small shake down ride the day before so I was able to tweak a little more before the big ride. I dropped the pilot to a 42, went one more 1/4 turn out on the air screw and it cleaned it right up. Starts first kick, idles great. It is now perfect. Nothing sounds better than a well jetted 2-stroke. I am now able to lug it around since cleaning up the bottom end also. 1st gear was nearly unusable as it just revved out in about 1 second.

I was really digging the feeling of a super light bike. It was easy to ride in that respect. But the gearing and turning specifically made me think more than I wanted to.

Things I may mess with before the next ride.
I think I may ram the fork tubes up a few MM to see if I can get it to turn better.
I may go smaller out back to try and broaden the power a little as 1st is nearly unusable.

Here are some photos of getting the bike ready and then the ride also. There is also a link to a video one rider took. I am the guy on the green bike.

Swapped the bent and gaffed front fender with this cool more modern looking one.

Yanked the bent super low stocker bars for some RC High Bend Renthals, new grips and bar pad. I also spun the bar mounts around so as to push the bars more farward.

Nice clean new ones. The stock gas cap was also cracked and leaking.

Off to Havasu! 4.5 hour drive!

Friday evenings shake down ride.

Saturday morning overlooking Lake Havasu Az about 25 miles in.

Some rocks.

Crossing over Parker Dam

My fat butt working through water.

Ahhhh! Paradise.

Youtube ride video.
[youtube][/youtube]
coasty
Supporting Member I
Supporting Member I

Post by coasty »

Great Post, you guys certainly have some great terrain to ride overthere !
Davenay67

Post by Davenay67 »

Nice bike. Nice ride.

Does AZ not need turn signals for plated bikes?
two-stroke-brit
Supporting Member I
Supporting Member I

Re: 126mi Maiden Voyage (new to me) 2006 KDX200 [PICS & VI

Post by two-stroke-brit »

good vid , that terrain must be hell on tires :oops:
She might not be pretty but always a fun ride !
KDXGarage
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by KDXGarage »

Congratulations. That is a looong ride!
Thank you for participating on kdxrider.net. :bravo:
To post pictures from a device: viewtopic.php?f=88&t=24128
El Gran Jamon

Post by El Gran Jamon »

Nice, mine is plated as well, but older.
bufftester
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by bufftester »

Best thing you can do at this point is spring the bike for your riding weight. Stock the front end is great...for a 140lb guy. Like me, you are probably a bit over that. Rear end is a little better stock, but still not sprung for anyone over 180. That one thing will work wonders for your ride enjoyment and handling.