What would you think...

Got questions? We got answers....
canyncarvr
Gold Member
Gold Member

What would you think...

Post by canyncarvr »

...of a cylinder purchased that came with a subport valve 'stem' cut off at cylinder-top height?

It does not extend into the head as it should.

No...not a lot of force going on there...but...try to activate the KIPS by hand with the top bushings out. It don't work, 'eh?

With the top cut off, ALL of the torsional off-axis force is being applied to that top bushing.

I'd like to have the stem IN the head...even if the stem IS real metal and head is merely aluminium.

Opines, please?

Consider the source
Using a perceived level of knowledge to boost my self worth.
Non impediti ratione cogitationis

bike profile: !clicky!
skipro3
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by skipro3 »

What inthehell did you go and buy now CC?

I'd replace the chop job valve with a complete one. I'm more interested in riding than always wondering what's going to fail or not based on a theory. Peace of mind, and all that you know.
Jerry

I'd rather be a smartass like carvr, than a dumbass like.... well, you fill in the blank!
canyncarvr
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by canyncarvr »

Good to know that having paid a lot of money for something...and it being 'not right' you would just forget about it. :wink:

This is the cylinder I've had sitting in the parts bin for a few months. I looked at the bore (just to see if it was there, yanno...if it was all screwed up, I'd just buy another one and not worry about it...), but didn't pay attention to anything else until this past weekend.

Yeah...I could spend another couple hundred $$ on it..replacing all the stuff that looks iffy, for peace of mind and all that.

But...I thought I DID that the first time.

For all I know, this is some kind of hot-rod improvement that keeps the RH valve from...well...maybe blowing out the pipe!! :shock: (Yeah..who's ever heard of THAT??)

Consider the source

Indawoods
Creator and Founder
Creator and Founder

Post by Indawoods »

Seems to me that little extra part on the sub-valve would keep it in line better and not wear the gear so fast.... I couldn't live with it. All that combustion pressure would eventually prematurely wear it out. I say.... you should replace it. :mrgreen:
*** Administrator //***
****'95 KDX 200/****

"People ate cows a thousand years ago for the same reason we eat them now. Cause they are easy to catch.We're not savages,we're just lazy. A cheetah could taste like chocolate heroin. But will never know. Those bastards are fast!!! "
canyncarvr
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by canyncarvr »

Yeah...and I say the person that sold it to me should replace it....

They aren't cheep!

I'm just always wondering about stuff....... :sad:

Consider the source

Indawoods
Creator and Founder
Creator and Founder

Post by Indawoods »

He should have at least disclosed! :evil:
*** Administrator //***
****'95 KDX 200/****

"People ate cows a thousand years ago for the same reason we eat them now. Cause they are easy to catch.We're not savages,we're just lazy. A cheetah could taste like chocolate heroin. But will never know. Those bastards are fast!!! "
skipro3
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by skipro3 »

Not another one from your buddy, is it?

BTW I never said I would just forget about it or not worry about it. Quite the contrary. The seller would be making it right; even if it resulted in being banned from eBay or any other place. My motto: I don't get mad, I don't get even; I get ahead.

So, just list it on eBay and pass it on to the next sucker. :lol: :lol: :lol:

Did I say that right?!? :shock: :wink:
Jerry

I'd rather be a smartass like carvr, than a dumbass like.... well, you fill in the blank!
canyncarvr
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by canyncarvr »

**Update with the facts**

...as opposed to the suppositions that I started this thread with.

Summary: It matters not a whit that the valve 'stem' is missing.

Obviously, a 1/4" protruding stem must fit into a like cavity in the head. My assumption that such a fit amounted to any support of the valve was wrong. I'd never looked at those recesses particularly..but it fact they are considerably larger than the stem diameter. Mine measured .080" larger.

I don't know what all of this looks like when it's at operating temps, but the fit of pretty much everything of the KIPS is quite sloppy on the bench. The collars that actually do support the valve are loose in the cylinder and the valve stem is also quite loose in the collar. New parts? Same. Heat wouldn't be good for more than a couple thousandths at most I'd guess...so it's designed to be loose.

I don't know why it's missing in the first place, but it matters not that it is...missing.

Yes, I did order a new valve and a rack anyway. Expensive little buggers.

Cheers!

Consider the source