Are KDX Kickstands Poorly Designed?

Got questions? We got answers....
John McIntosh

Are KDX Kickstands Poorly Designed?

Post by John McIntosh »

After my KDX220 tipped over for the 50th time I finally took the piece of junk off my bike so I wouldn't be tempted to use it. Do the rest of you have problems with yours?Good bye and good riddens to my kickstand :butthead:
Mack (Bel Air, Maryland)
Mr. Wibbens
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by Mr. Wibbens »

Mine used to lean over way too much, but a little heat and a sledge fixed that

Kinda a PITA riding with someone without a sidestand, especially when you have to hold their bike while they go pee
Warning! This member tends to use sarcasm as a regular form of communication. If a post seems offensive, before you panic and fly off the handle, re-read the post and imagine it being said with a sideways grin.
((Bike Profile))
((Pics))
FIVE OUT OF FOUR PEOPLE DONUT UNDERSTAND FRACTIONS
kdxquebec
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by kdxquebec »

Yeah. Also,they wear and becomes floppy very fast. I see somes guys makes different kinds of attach to prevent the stand from moving when ridding.

I like the *** system.

edit*** KKTTMM. lol :lol:
Last edited by kdxquebec on 08:38 am Jan 31 2006, edited 1 time in total.
'89 KDX 198cc '03 Gasgas Ec250 '13 Husaberg Te300
*CANADA* LEADING THE WORLD IN BEING JUST NORTH OF THE UNITED STATES.
Colorado Mike
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Colorado Mike »

Mine works good, but it's only a year old. I think I remember seeing some guy had developed one that was spring loaded or something and it would hold the bike in a lot of different slope situations. Can't remember where I saw that, almost positive it was on the web,, but it might have been in one of my increasingly bizarre dreams :blink: .
Mike

Life's tough, it's even tougher if you're stupid.
'04 KDX220
quailchaser
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by quailchaser »

Mine use to allow the bike to lean too far over as well. Then I decided to loop the bike infont of all my riding buddies. :shock: Two things happened:

One: I got a standing ovation :bravo:
Two: My kick stand works much better and has only caused the bike to fall over one time in the last two years. :mrgreen: Just a friendly reminder...never attempt to unload your bike with the kick stand down. :blink:
Robb
*Sold* but not forgotten '03 KDX220R
'02 KX250
PW80 for the Gman
XR50R with Zuk yellow plastic and pink starlet stikers...soon to be Katiebugs ride.
AMA
Off Camber M/C
BRC
AZOHVC
John McIntosh

Maybe I have the wrong stand?

Post by John McIntosh »

I'm starting to think I may have the wrong stand for my bike. It seems too be too long. It is difficult to even stand my bike in a flat stable area. It eather sinks in and falls to the kickstand side or it tips to the non kickstand side. Even on pavement it is unstable. I bought the bike used. I wonder if it has the incorect stand? It looks right, but seems too long. :sad:
Mack (Bel Air, Maryland)
KDX220PHIL
Supporting Member I
Supporting Member I

Post by KDX220PHIL »

Sounds like it may be bent in towards the bike?
Let's see a pic of your bike on level ground.
Does the stand feel rigid?
canyncarvr
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by canyncarvr »

My bet's on bent. Or it's been swapped out.

The KDX even off the showroom floor has a pretty good lean to it.

Has your bike been lowered? Do you have the stock pull rods on your bike?

In most cases, the OEM KDX kickstand leans the bike too far over (LH side) and the bike pees fuel any time you use it.

Is your kickstand steel? Most aftermarket pieces are not steel. The aftermarket kickstand I use works very well (thank you mr. skipro)...is aluminum, so the lightness of weight helps in the 'kickstand drop' that happens with the steel piece.

Now...it hasn't the strength to withstand getting stuck in a rut, rolling backwards, catching the stand on a rock and looping the bike backwards.

Don't do that!

Consider the source
Using a perceived level of knowledge to boost my self worth.
Non impediti ratione cogitationis

bike profile: !clicky!
JD

Post by JD »

>|<>QBB<
canyncarvr wrote: Is your kickstand steel? Most aftermarket pieces are not steel. The aftermarket kickstand I use works very well (thank you mr. skipro)...is aluminum,
I want one!
'04 200
canyncarvr
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by canyncarvr »

Ask Mr. Ski.

It was NOT specifically designed for the KDX...had a three-hole mounting tab. But, the top part of the bracket was easily removed..the remaining two holes matched fine with the KDX swingarm.

It DOES keep the KDX up considerably more straight.

BTW...having a lowered bike doesn't change the distance from the ground to the swingarm. It does change then tendency of the bike to fall over (it will be shorter).

Another BTW...regardless of the sometime hassle of HAVING a kickstand (it getting hung up on stuff), I'd sure not want to be without one. To each his own to be sure.

Consider the source
Using a perceived level of knowledge to boost my self worth.
Non impediti ratione cogitationis

bike profile: !clicky!
John McIntosh

Post by John McIntosh »

Thanks for all of the feedback. I left my stand in northern PA. where I keep my bike in the summer and do most of my riding. So, I can't check it now and I don't think I have any pictures with my stand down. My stand bolts on nicely and it looks like the stands I see on KDX's in photos so I think it must be a Kawasaki stand? It does make my bike stand too staight up. Either it is bent (or rather the bend was taken out of the stand) or it is off of a taller bike? How would I go about bending the pipe? That sounds like it must be my cheapist option?
Mack (Bel Air, Maryland)
Indawoods
Creator and Founder
Creator and Founder

Post by Indawoods »

A good vise and a lead hammer.... that's how my brother did it....
*** Administrator //***
****'95 KDX 200/****

"People ate cows a thousand years ago for the same reason we eat them now. Cause they are easy to catch.We're not savages,we're just lazy. A cheetah could taste like chocolate heroin. But will never know. Those bastards are fast!!! "
kdxquebec
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by kdxquebec »

Is it possible to make something like this on a 220?

kdxquebec
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by kdxquebec »

JD

Post by JD »

Bought one.

No more tree stand for me!
'04 200
skipro3
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by skipro3 »

Report back how it works, if you would please. Thanks JD.
The aluminum kickstand I gave CC was purchased off Stealhy's website. (I think!?!?) I bought it when I got the fly wheel weight. (which is going to m0rie when he shows up this spring!!)

Also, to bend the kickstand, heat it with a torch first. It will bend like butter and not show heavy hammer blows that way. Just use a large diameter pipe to slip over the end, heat the tube red hot and bend away.
Jerry

I'd rather be a smartass like carvr, than a dumbass like.... well, you fill in the blank!
crazyaboutriding

Post by crazyaboutriding »

well, have you tried just bending the kickstand backward? mine was also bad, and after heating it up and bending it, it works alot better, but i believe they were mounted in a bad spot in the first place. :sad:
Kevin
'00 KDX 200
KDXer
Supporting Member

Post by KDXer »

Nothing wrong with my stand. It keeps the bike from falling over and doesn't fall down. Do your KDX's have the tab off the frame like in my pic (just below the stand spring) ??

"I want to die peacefully in my sleep like my grandfather, not screaming in terror like the passengers in his car."
JD

Post by JD »

Got the kickstand. Pic in the gallery.

Seems well built and a bit lighter than the stocker. Comes with new bolts for the subframe and chain roller. The instructions that came with it warned against using it while kickstarting the bike and considering the mounting points, most notably the chain roller, I would also caution against that use. But for keeping the bike from falling over it should do the trick quite nicely - and keep itself out of harms way in the rocks.

One other thing - you have to remove the stock kickstand mounting plate on the swingarm for clearance. I had left mine on after removing the kickstand last spring so I wouldn't screw up the thread holes in the swingarm should I decide to buy another stock unit. Well, when I went to remove it one of the bolts was pretty seized up. Electrolysis at work. When I finally got it out and the plate off I noticed both bolt holes had take some damage and were a bit ovalized. I ride through some really rocky areas and I think that the stock stand, judging by the damage, was getting slammed pretty good on a fairly regular basis.
'04 200
TRXCR

Post by TRXCR »

Jd, my bike was the one on the pic on e-bay with that kickstand. He used it for the pattern. Seems to work fine, but I haven't rode with it yet. Not a bad price either.