top end rebuild

Got questions? We got answers....
bws2
Gold Member
Gold Member

top end rebuild

Post by bws2 »

I have a 2001 KDX200 that has the original piston in it.

I'm planning on doing a top end rebuild, but I've never done one before.

Can you guys tell me what parts I'll need to order?

Also what tools will I need to do this job?
ced64k
Supporting Member

Re: top end rebuild

Post by ced64k »

You should buy the Cyclepedia service manual
http://www.cyclepedia.com/online-manual ... ice-guide/
pumpguy
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by pumpguy »

Probably the most important thing to have is a service manual. This gives you all the information you need to work on your bike.

In addition to a new piston and gasket set, I would suggest you consider getting the cylinder re-plated. I was pleased with Millenium's work. I recommend you send your new piston with the cylinder so the plater can use YOUR piston to size the clearance. The other option is to have the plater furnish the piston and size your bore to the piston they furnish.

From what has been posted on this site, you're okay with an OEM piston if it's a 200. If it's a 220, you want an
aftermarket forged piston.

For re-assembly, you'll need a torque wrench. You'll also need a torque wrench adaptor to tighten the cylinder base nuts. Motion Pro makes this tool, their # 57-8134. I've found it handy for other uses besides torquing cylinder base nuts.
bws2
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by bws2 »

pumpguy wrote:Probably the most important thing to have is a service manual. This gives you all the information you need to work on your bike.

In addition to a new piston and gasket set, I would suggest you consider getting the cylinder re-plated. I was pleased with Millenium's work. I recommend you send your new piston with the cylinder so the plater can use YOUR piston to size the clearance. The other option is to have the plater furnish the piston and size your bore to the piston they furnish.

From what has been posted on this site, you're okay with an OEM piston if it's a 200. If it's a 220, you want an
aftermarket forged piston.

For re-assembly, you'll need a torque wrench. You'll also need a torque wrench adaptor to tighten the cylinder base nuts. Motion Pro makes this tool, their # 57-8134. I've found it handy for other uses besides torquing cylinder base nuts.
Thank you, Ced64K and Pumpguy. These are great suggestions. I'll make sure I have a manual before I start this job.
doakley
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by doakley »

Ditto on the manual. I like the Cyclepedia online version so I can enlarge the photos on my iPad (old eyes). I also have a printed version though. I did a top overhaul on my 220 after I purchase just so I would kno do sure what was in it. I did not have it replated but should have. It wasn't long before I had to take it apart and have the cylinder replated by Mellinium.
bws2
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by bws2 »

doakley wrote:Ditto on the manual. I like the Cyclepedia online version so I can enlarge the photos on my iPad (old eyes). I also have a printed version though. I did a top overhaul on my 220 after I purchase just so I would kno do sure what was in it. I did not have it replated but should have. It wasn't long before I had to take it apart and have the cylinder replated by Mellinium.
Thank you, doakley.
Tyl3r
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by Tyl3r »

I can't believe this post isn't more well known... http://www.thumpertalk.com/topic/657765 ... to-kdx200/

When I did mine, i had this thread open on the laptop and my factory service manual right next to it, I can confirm that all of the steps are completely accurate, no real need for the manual... even the torque values match the FSM lol Makes the job pretty easy and straightforward.
04/05 KX220 Hybrid all decked out
18 KTM 500 EXC-F Dual Sport/Sumo toy
24 KTM 300XC-W Cheater bike
two-stroke-brit
Supporting Member I
Supporting Member I

top end rebuild

Post by two-stroke-brit »

Well that's a great thread with nice clear pics.
i thought the white stuff was dried grease and scraped it off :oops:
thanks mark
She might not be pretty but always a fun ride !
bws2
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by bws2 »

Tyl3r wrote:I can't believe this post isn't more well known... http://www.thumpertalk.com/topic/657765 ... to-kdx200/

When I did mine, i had this thread open on the laptop and my factory service manual right next to it, I can confirm that all of the steps are completely accurate, no real need for the manual... even the torque values match the FSM lol Makes the job pretty easy and straightforward.
Hey thanks Tyl3r for sharing that link. It will be very helpful when I finally get started on this project.
Tyl3r
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by Tyl3r »

bws2 wrote:Hey thanks Tyl3r for sharing that link. It will be very helpful when I finally get started on this project.
:supz: happy to share!
04/05 KX220 Hybrid all decked out
18 KTM 500 EXC-F Dual Sport/Sumo toy
24 KTM 300XC-W Cheater bike