She runs - question

Got questions? We got answers....
Mark W
Supporting Member III
Supporting Member III

She runs - question

Post by Mark W »

She starts - yippie!!!!!. Hard to believe. Started up on about the 6th kick or so - more solid than it did towards the end of last season.

I do have yet another question. The bike is noticeably louder with the rev pipe installed. I am sure this is normal and doesn't bother me. My question is how do you determine that this sound is normal verses it being something serious like the piston slap question posted below?

Figures today would be the first day we've had of snow in a month so the riding is out. Really just wanted to sit on the thing and ride around the block a couple of times.

Mark
skipro3
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by skipro3 »

Good to hear it started good for you. Yup, stock pipe is much quieter due to the double wall construction compared to single wall of most aftermarket pipes.

Only experance can tell you what a good or bad sound will be like to your ears. If it blows up, then that was a bad sound. If the bike rips, then it's a good sound.
Jerry

I'd rather be a smartass like carvr, than a dumbass like.... well, you fill in the blank!
layoutd

Post by layoutd »

with the new pipe, you get that ping sound that all the racers have. hence the pinger name for two strokes. i would imagine that the piston slap sound would be a lower frqeuncy than the pipe sounds. the pipe has a cool "i'm ripping it up" sound. i would imagine that the piston slap would be a not so nice sound. but i have not had the slap, so i do not know what it sounds like.
Eatin' ain't Cheatin'
m0rie
Supporting Member I
Supporting Member I

Post by m0rie »

Its going to be louder because its a single wall pipe like Jerry said. If you've got a pipe guard on the pipe that is going to tend to reflect a lot of the sound back towards the cockpit area of the bike.
1989 KDX 200
2007 TTR-50E
NM_KDX200

Post by NM_KDX200 »

The Desert pipe is louder than the Woods pipe, too. At least mine is...
1999 KDX 200
2001 KDX 220
2002 RM 134
2004 KX 125