My KDX is up and running again!

Got questions? We got answers....
NM_KDX200

My KDX is up and running again!

Post by NM_KDX200 »

Got my suspension back from Jason on Friday. Totally reworked with new bushing, new shock head, new shock bladder, oil in the rear. XR400 springs, Gold Valve, oil, bushings, seals, etc. up front. While it was sitting there, I put a new piston/rings in and cleaned everything up. Blew out the carb and yes!- the air screw opening cleared out. Greased all the bearings. Put my new Pro-Circuit bar clamp on.

First impressions from riding my play track- nice. The KDX zips right over my whoop section and since it has more low end power than my KX125, I can carry a wheelie clear across the section- the forks never touch. Forks are probably about the same in the first 3" of travel, then get stiffer, faster. The shock is just pretty much invisible. I haven't been able to hit a jump yet, but hopefully tomorrow I'll have the piston broken in enough that I can go actually riding.

I hit one snag when reassembling everything.....I put the shock on, put the linkage back on, put the rear wheel on. Odd...the rear wheel wouldn't turn. Oh well, I figured the chain was just binding in the guide or something. My wife came down to help me while I was torquing nuts down and I asked her to check the wheel. Still wouldn't turn. We fussed with it for a bit. Still wouldn't turn. Then, I reached up and clicked the bike into neutral. DUH!!!!
:roll: :oops:

Oh yeah, one other thing....the KIPS actuator has a geared "claw" with a punch mark and F -> arrow on it (held on with a reverse threaded nut). You're supposed to line this up with a mark on the gear of the KIPS shaft in the cylinder. I could NOT for the life of me find the mark on the part in the engine. However, the "claw" only goes on way and it must rotate forward. If the shaft in the engine is rotated back, then the claw moves it forward, opening the valves. I could see old scuff marks on the shaft gears, so that's how I set it- engine gear rotated fully counterclockwise, actuator claw in place. If the actuator moves forward, it moves the gears. Seems to be working. I even went back and looked at my pictures and can't see the mark on the shaft gears.

Looking forward to riding the KDX again! The KX is fun, but I miss being able to accelerate at something below 1/2 throttle!
1999 KDX 200
2001 KDX 220
2002 RM 134
2004 KX 125