How do you pull a KDX flywheel?

Got questions? We got answers....
KDXMainer

Post by KDXMainer »

wondering if there's a video link someone has of this being done? I googled this question and couldn't find anything specific to the kdx. I have no spark and all my compontants wires and grounds are fine. I was told it could be a timing key is sheared. Need to get this flywheel off. Thanks Mike.
2006 KDX200
1998 KDX220
KDXMainer

Post by KDXMainer »

My mechanic friend says water behind the flywheel cover would not cause the no spark issue. He be leaves my flywheel key is seared do to the po not torking the flywheel correctly. What do you guys think? Not getting any answers today. It's Saturday what are you guys out riding or something instead of hovering over the computer?
2006 KDX200
1998 KDX220
KDXohio
Supporting Member

Re: How do you pull a KDX flywheel?

Post by KDXohio »

To pull the flywheel remove the flywheel hold down bolt and use a 27mm flywheel puller
DO NOT HIT THE FLYWHEEL!!
1990 KDX200 FMF Fatty, Answer VFC silencer, VForce 3 Cage, Wiseco Piston, KX125-J series KYB USD fork conversion, Race tech goldvalves, J series front brake assembly, air-box snorkel removed, Acerbis Headlight, KX450F Front fender, Pro Taper RM bend bars, ASV front Brake lever, MSR Clutch perch and lever, RB Head mod, 36mm PWK carb, Trail Tech Kickstand.
KDXohio
Supporting Member

Post by KDXohio »

Your stator coil resistance should be

300-450ohms between the white/red and black wires
1.76-2.64ohms between yellow and black
1990 KDX200 FMF Fatty, Answer VFC silencer, VForce 3 Cage, Wiseco Piston, KX125-J series KYB USD fork conversion, Race tech goldvalves, J series front brake assembly, air-box snorkel removed, Acerbis Headlight, KX450F Front fender, Pro Taper RM bend bars, ASV front Brake lever, MSR Clutch perch and lever, RB Head mod, 36mm PWK carb, Trail Tech Kickstand.
KDXGarage
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by KDXGarage »

Ha. U get what you pay for on advice.

27 x 1 left hand puller, cheap on ebay
Thank you for participating on kdxrider.net. :bravo:
To post pictures from a device: viewtopic.php?f=88&t=24128
KDXMainer

Post by KDXMainer »

Gonna by an air tool to remove flywheel nut. How many foot pounds should the gun be to quickly zip it off? Also going to hit all the parts stores hoping one has the KDX puller. I spent 3 bucks and bought a test light. Lighting coil works ignition coil does not. Should have done this before buying a new CDI. Ohms are 9.04 M on my meter. Not sure if that's good or bad.
2006 KDX200
1998 KDX220
KDXohio
Supporting Member

Post by KDXohio »

Any 1/2" impact should be plenty powerfull.
pumpguy
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by pumpguy »

In addition to a flywheel puller, you will need a way to hold the flywheel when torquing the nut.

For this I use a Vice Grip #20R chain clamp pliers. Other brands of similar tool are also available, and you may be able to rig up something else to hold the flywheel.

Torque up the flywheel nut to 47 ft-lbs.

Also, for the stator plate, these should be torqued to 87 inch-lbs and secured with non-permanent thread locker like blue Loctite 242 or similar.
bazwalton
Supporting Member I
Supporting Member I

Post by bazwalton »

Not a video, but some pics of the extender screw I made to make the 27x1 flywheel puller fit the deep crank on an E series.

https://www.facebook.com/Enduromotorcyc ... 4782190792
https://www.facebook.com/Classic-Mann-952895831458690/ Kdx racing and restoration.

Kdx175x5 Kdx200x4 Kdx220x2 Kdx450. Kdx200AF.