BOOT RECOMENDATIONS

Got questions? We got answers....
6 Riders
Gold Member
Gold Member

Re: BOOT RECOMENDATIONS

Post by 6 Riders »

Tyl3r wrote:I bought the FOX Comp 5's last season and am still loving them. I've only ever had hand-me-down or super cheap boots in the past, this was my first "nice" pair if you want to call them that. They still are waterproof when I stand in about 8 inches or so of water. The tread on the bottom isn't bad, I can't complain. They are holding up nicely for me. I did happen to loose one buckle out on the trail, but a replacement kit is less than 20 bucks ( O well).

I saw the negative words about them above, so I wanted to share my positive experience with them. I think I paid around $180 for them at the local bike shop. A quick google search is showing them for $140, which seems like a pretty nice deal to me. It may also be worth noting that I only get to ride one day week for a few hours.
Take those boots (Comp 5s) grab the heal with one hand and the toe with the other.....Now, try to get the toe to touch the ankle of the boot....Betcha CAN....This being the reason I will not recommend the Comp 5 (or 8) to anyone. Out on the trail, it DOES matter if you can bend a boot like that, don't believe me? There is a post on TT were the guy literally split his foot open after clipping a stump.

Just get a good pair of boots in the $150+ range, in my post above. MOST, if not all, of those boots are worth the money for a casual rider....When you get fast, or if you want to try harescrambles, jump up to the Forma's or better....
newbbewb wrote:^what he said.
masterblaster wrote:Man 6 riders you rock.
*side note...I'm drunk, so try to read what I'm trying to say, instead of what I actually type
two-stroke-brit
Supporting Member I
Supporting Member I

BOOT RECOMENDATIONS

Post by two-stroke-brit »

Dekon wrote:I have trials boots and wouldn't wear them for trail riding. The are great for trials, not trails. Not enough protection.
yes i agree with this ,i used to ride trial .
i think its a "horses for coarses" sorta deal.
thanks mark
She might not be pretty but always a fun ride !
Julien D
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by Julien D »

6 Riders wrote:
Tyl3r wrote:I bought the FOX Comp 5's last season and am still loving them. I've only ever had hand-me-down or super cheap boots in the past, this was my first "nice" pair if you want to call them that. They still are waterproof when I stand in about 8 inches or so of water. The tread on the bottom isn't bad, I can't complain. They are holding up nicely for me. I did happen to loose one buckle out on the trail, but a replacement kit is less than 20 bucks ( O well).

I saw the negative words about them above, so I wanted to share my positive experience with them. I think I paid around $180 for them at the local bike shop. A quick google search is showing them for $140, which seems like a pretty nice deal to me. It may also be worth noting that I only get to ride one day week for a few hours.
Take those boots (Comp 5s) grab the heal with one hand and the toe with the other.....Now, try to get the toe to touch the ankle of the boot....Betcha CAN....This being the reason I will not recommend the Comp 5 (or 8) to anyone. Out on the trail, it DOES matter if you can bend a boot like that, don't believe me? There is a post on TT were the guy literally split his foot open after clipping a stump.

Just get a good pair of boots in the $150+ range, in my post above. MOST, if not all, of those boots are worth the money for a casual rider....When you get fast, or if you want to try harescrambles, jump up to the Forma's or better....

I've had mine since the first year they came out. Not as stiff as my fox forma pro's, but much more comfortable. No, I can't bend the sole enough for the toe to touch the ankle. I've taken some pretty serious spills with them on, no trouble. Even caught my toe on a root, similiar to what you said. Ankle was fine, wrenched my knee pretty good though as the boot twisted my entire leg. I'd say they offer as much protection as just about anything in the $150 range.
two-stroke-brit
Supporting Member I
Supporting Member I

BOOT RECOMENDATIONS

Post by two-stroke-brit »

hi all , well i went to a cycle gear store to try some boots on and the Alpine Stars Tech 1 were the best fit (the others were too tight on my right foot ).
SO i will wait for a sale to show up and see how cheap i can get a pair for.
$199 is the retail price.
cheers mark
She might not be pretty but always a fun ride !
Julien D
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by Julien D »

Love my forma pro's, but honestly it's more than I need on an average day. And like you said, almost impossible to walk in the damn things.