BOOT RECOMENDATIONS

Got questions? We got answers....
two-stroke-brit
Supporting Member I
Supporting Member I

BOOT RECOMENDATIONS

Post by two-stroke-brit »

Hi All, any recommendations on a pair of entry level boots.
i used to ride observed trials but let all my gear go (Dooh) years ago.
i will be mainly riding trails with the the possibility of doing an enduro next year if i can get fit enough (Old as dirt).
T I A Mark
She might not be pretty but always a fun ride !
pumpguy
Gold Member
Gold Member

BOOT RECOMENDATIONS

Post by pumpguy »

I don't have specific recommendations except to suggest you not make the mistake of getting motocross soles on your boots.

For enduros, you want a lug type sole for traction while off the bike.

You may find a suitable pair on ebay, craigslist, or at a swap meet.
david

Re: BOOT RECOMENDATIONS

Post by david »

It's not a lug style sole, but the Fly Racing Maverik boot can be found for $75 new on eBay. I find them pretty comfortable.
'81 KDX 175
'90 KDX 200
'07 Vulcan 2000 Classic LT (totaled 4/25/15)
'82 Honda GL500 (sold)
'96 ZXi 1100 JetSki
'98 STX 1100 JetSki
KDXGarage
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by KDXGarage »

Yes, read up on sole differences.
Thank you for participating on kdxrider.net. :bravo:
To post pictures from a device: viewtopic.php?f=88&t=24128
KDXohio
Supporting Member

Post by KDXohio »

I wear my cabelas as hiking boots :lol:

If I were racing I would definitely invest in a pair of riding boots for the added safety
1990 KDX200 FMF Fatty, Answer VFC silencer, VForce 3 Cage, Wiseco Piston, KX125-J series KYB USD fork conversion, Race tech goldvalves, J series front brake assembly, air-box snorkel removed, Acerbis Headlight, KX450F Front fender, Pro Taper RM bend bars, ASV front Brake lever, MSR Clutch perch and lever, RB Head mod, 36mm PWK carb, Trail Tech Kickstand.
KDXGarage
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by KDXGarage »

I strongly suggest that you guys ALL get some riding boots.
Thank you for participating on kdxrider.net. :bravo:
To post pictures from a device: viewtopic.php?f=88&t=24128
gots_a_sol

BOOT RECOMENDATIONS

Post by gots_a_sol »

Strongly recommend something with an ankle pivot. SO much more comfy.

I've been wearing Sidi Crossfires for years. A buddy of mine just picked up some top end Gaerne's and they are pretty nice too. Forma makes some nice boots that cost a bit less than Sidi/Gaerne.
-Joe

Husky WR177 - KX125 (200 soon)
bufftester
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by bufftester »

Boots are safety gear, just like helmets. Do some research and buy as much boot as you can afford. There are a lot of good entry level boots out there for under $150, but most of them will only last a couple good seasons of riding. My last pair of Gaernes (RX1s bought in 2001) are finally ready to replace after 15 solid seasons of riding and 2 resoles. Before that I had a pair of Hi-points (still have them, nearly 35 years old, but more like slippers now lol). They cost a bit more than an entry level boot, but outlasted them by ages. Of course, I have friends who have worn entry level boots for many years with proper care who ride occasionally (1 or 2 times a month).
two-stroke-brit
Supporting Member I
Supporting Member I

BOOT RECOMENDATIONS

thanks everyone.
lots of good advise.
more research to do i think ,balancing cost vs the small amount i will be riding.
i think if i wait for a sale and spend $120/$150.
i will report when i make my purchase.
cheers mark
6 Riders
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by 6 Riders »

Someone else asked this question before and I did a write up about boots. I don't know where I stored it though. Maybe you can find the other boots post.
newbbewb wrote:^what he said.
masterblaster wrote:Man 6 riders you rock.
*side note...I'm drunk, so try to read what I'm trying to say, instead of what I actually type
6 Riders
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by 6 Riders »

Found it, it was actually on TT.....here ya go.

I've clipped a stump doing about 40, wearing my SG10s, foot went straight back and OVER the rear fender. Foot was fine, actually didn't hurt, just felt the impact. I'll post this again, since you made (yet another) new boot thread (it's a long read);

For newbies and others that might read this thread in the future......Boot recommendations for trail riding. These are MY PERSONAL choices in boots available today and NOT a comprehensive list, there are other boots that people like, that are perfectly good boots, but I don't recommend for TRAIL riding for one reason or another.

Priced low to high.....Obviously price makes a quality difference, some people can't justify spending $300 on a pair of boots (yet), growing kids etc. will prohibit the purchase of high end boots as well.
$100-$150

Fly Maverick....These are the cheap of the cheap boots. Build quality compared to other boots is lacking, even at the same price point. Find them on sale!

O'Neal Rider boots....Another low price boot, I recommend the $10 to $20 premium over the Mavericks as these have better build quality.

MSR VX2...Another pair of cheap boots, re-released this year. These have a lug sole for walking, otherwise similar/same as boots below.

Thor, AXO, Answer, all make a boot in the $125 range...To me, these boots are all the same, so take your brand and run with it.

Thor Blitz ATV……Another boot with a lug sole!

Moose 1.2.....Similar to the boots above, but these look to be higher quality and are available with an enduro sole......Again, pick your brand.

$150-$200....
Most of the boots listed here are pretty decent boots. I'm not saying that they offer better protection than the less expensive boots, but may or may not be more comfortable.

JT racing - Podium, Alpinestar - Tech 1, TCX - X-Blast and Gaerne - GX1. All these boots are very similar aand prices vary, depending on where you buy them. All seem to offer the same protection and build quality is in the same range. Comfort and fit are where to go with these (A* is narrow, Gaerne is real wide etc.)

$200-$300....

A lot of these boots (but not all) are single hinge design. Boots in this range tend to be a "bad buy" simply because a safer boot can be had for $25-$50 more.....Save for another week and step up one level. The only recommendation that I have at this price point are the....

Forma Terrain TX or Terrain boot....Full hinge design, good build quality. TX is an MX sole, Terrain is a lug sole.

$300+

Look for a full hinge ankle! These boots tend to be all day comfortable. (not in pricing order)

Gaerne SG10.....I own these, rode a 120 miles in dessert terrain, right out of the box.....My feet where the only thing NOT tired. Fit is for wide feet.

Gaerne SG11....These are the updated version of the 10....can't go wrong, cost more.

Gaerne SG12....Again, next level up, there is supposed to be a difference in the boot from the 13 to the 14 model year. So prices will vary......Nobody dislikes the comfort of Gaernes....but they are a wide boot with a big toe box.

AXO A2 boot. Full hinge design. Check fit with these.

Sidi Cross fire TA.....Sidi is the boot of boots. Narrow toe box (I don't fit in these with my EE-EEE feet).

Sidi X-treme....

Sidi Charger...

Sidi Crossfire 2 TA....This is the ONLY boot with out a welt sole in this list. Parts are super easy to replace, even the sole, which is a very nice feature. This boot has hyperextention limiting!

Forma Dominator Comp....Also look for the "old" model on close out for a $100+ discount....

Forma Predator..... You can get the old model for $300 on close out....Forma is an up and coming company, you can get great boots at a great price.....Make sure you consider these boots when going to the high end!

There are other boots that people highly recommend. I have purposely skipped a few boots do to bad buckles/poor quality at their respective price point.
I don't list Fox boots AT ALL.....Their build quality tends to be low end. For example, even with updates to the Comp5, it is still a crappy boot at the price point.
Alpinestar is listed limitedly, and I have no experience with the ONE pair I listed. At that boots price point, I figure it will be the same/similar quality as other boots in the price point.
There are other boots not listed do to having a Bonded Sole.....I don't recommend bonded sole boots for trail riding. While they are OK for MX, they don't have the same toe protection as the welt sole boots and it sucks to walk with broken toes!
I have noticed that welt sole boots are coming back. A few years ago most manufactures moved to the bonded sole, mainly do to the cost savings of this type of sole over the welt soles. A* and O'Neal are two examples....Those two brands didn't have or had very limited models, with welt soles last year.....This year, their new models have the welt soles. This is a good trend for trail riders. I doubt it matters as much for Motocross as rocks and tree stumps don't hide track side.
newbbewb wrote:^what he said.
masterblaster wrote:Man 6 riders you rock.
*side note...I'm drunk, so try to read what I'm trying to say, instead of what I actually type
spl383
Supporting Member I
Supporting Member I

Post by spl383 »

here is another old boot post
http://www.kdxrider.net/forums/viewtopi ... 77&t=18815

I love my Gaerne React boots
two-stroke-brit
Supporting Member I
Supporting Member I

BOOT RECOMENDATIONS

thanks again ,i did a search for boots in the Q&A SECTION and didnt find the 2 great threads listed above .
i have read both and will be spending more in the 250/300 range .
thanks Mark
Tyl3r
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by Tyl3r »

I bought the FOX Comp 5's last season and am still loving them. I've only ever had hand-me-down or super cheap boots in the past, this was my first "nice" pair if you want to call them that. They still are waterproof when I stand in about 8 inches or so of water. The tread on the bottom isn't bad, I can't complain. They are holding up nicely for me. I did happen to loose one buckle out on the trail, but a replacement kit is less than 20 bucks ( O well).

I saw the negative words about them above, so I wanted to share my positive experience with them. I think I paid around $180 for them at the local bike shop. A quick google search is showing them for $140, which seems like a pretty nice deal to me. It may also be worth noting that I only get to ride one day week for a few hours.
04/05 KX220 Hybrid all decked out
18 KTM 500 EXC-F Dual Sport/Sumo toy
24 KTM 300XC-W Cheater bike
Dekon
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

BOOT RECOMENDATIONS

Post by Dekon »

As other have said get a quality pair of boots. There was a post on here where someone clipped a tree stump and posted some brutal pictures of the damaged foot.

Found the post:

http://www.kdxrider.net/forums/viewtopi ... 94&t=12549

If that doesn't make you want to get some boots, IDK what will.
ubareddition
Supporting Member

Post by ubareddition »

I got a pair of oneals. I don't like them but only wore them once. Couldn't feel anything. But maybe with time..... If I ever ride again the way my build is going.

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk
chippy

BOOT RECOMENDATIONS

Post by chippy »

Any body tried a trials boot? I have been looking at these for mountain trail riding. I would love to be able to hike to the top of the mountain without changing boots! Trials boots usually have a lug sole, and a little softer feel to them. I just wonder if there is enough protection? Forma boots were listed above and I have had good luck with them. The Forma Boulder and Gaerne trials boots are the choices I am looking at. Any thoughts?
Julien D
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by Julien D »

I've gotten quite a bit of good use out of my Fox Comp 5's on the cheap. Not a true lug sole, but they are just flexible enough to get decent traction just about anywhere, and do have a better tread pattern than most straight up MX boots.

https://www.rockymountainatvmc.com/p/71 ... -2016?c=13
chippy

Post by chippy »

Thanks for the input Julien. I was looking at the Comp 5's with the ATV/endure soles. They looked like they would fit the bill without breaking the bank. I am just a little leery of laying out the cash for a pair of trials boots. They are not cheap, but appear to be quality made with full grain leather. I just don't know how much protection they offer. My feet and ankles are VERY important to me! The Fox boots may be the better deal. My old FOX Forma Pro's were an excellent boot, just a little slippery when walking.
Dekon
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

BOOT RECOMENDATIONS

Post by Dekon »

I have trials boots and wouldn't wear them for trail riding. The are great for trials, not trails. Not enough protection.