No Spark

Got questions? We got answers....
bufftester
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Re: No Spark

Post by bufftester »

And they will work on a large number of bikes. In fact, the one I have I inherited from my dad who bought it to use on his 1981 Honda MR175, it also worked on his E series bike and my H series. And it will piss you off how quick the flywheel comes off when you use it lol.
Jaguar
Supporting Member

Post by Jaguar »

Performance CDI -- KDX motocross mods -- the SR KDX -- expansion chamber analysis---> http://www.dragonfly75.com/moto/
KDXMainer

No Spark

Post by KDXMainer »

I found a dealer that has one in stock for 30 bucks. A rip off but at least he has it. The flywheel will come off today and the mystery will be solved.
2006 KDX200
1998 KDX220
KDXMainer

No Spark

Post by KDXMainer »

Just got the flywheel off and everything looks fine. Don't know what to do next other than bring it to a shop. Image hosting software not working. Is there someone I can email or text pictures to? Any opinions on what to do next?
2006 KDX200
1998 KDX220
bufftester
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by bufftester »

Did you check your stator coil resistance and output? Even with everything else disconnected, you should be getting an AC voltage off the stator when kicking it over. If a lot of water came out of the flywheel cover you will want to clean up and verify all your grounds are good, then check your ignition (stator) and lighting coils for shorts/opens. If your flywheel magnet is intact, you will get voltage when you kick it over. Check your grounds first (I know I already said that, but do it) and then work your way up the system.
KDXMainer

No Spark

Post by KDXMainer »

Lighting coil works fine. Magnets are fine. There is no voltage coming from ignition coil... I just don't know why. One thing I did notice is the little screw that holds the wire clip and ground wire to the stator plate is stripped and does not tighten up and the ohms are not right according to my meter but the coil is new. I'll mess with it some more in the morning. Thanks
2006 KDX200
1998 KDX220
KDXMainer

No Spark

Post by KDXMainer »

The ignition coil on the stator plate is bad. Last night I thought the top winding was that coil. After doing some reading I soon realized the sealed coil on the bottom is the ignition winding. Of course that's the one that was sitting in the bath of water. Every screw on the plate came loose except one(of course). that one's head broke off instead of coming loose. So now I have to deal with drilling that out and either replacing the coil or having it rewound or just replacing the whole assembly with a used eBay one. The moment I lifted the coil from the plate one of the wires just fell off. So that's the latest. Thanks to everyone who replied on this thread. I'll post when it's running. Gixxer340.... Wish you had beaten me to this one as well
2006 KDX200
1998 KDX220
KDXohio
Supporting Member

Post by KDXohio »

If just the head broke off rabbit with a pair of pliers it will likely very easily twist right out. if it broke off flush with the hole that's another story. good luck!
1990 KDX200 FMF Fatty, Answer VFC silencer, VForce 3 Cage, Wiseco Piston, KX125-J series KYB USD fork conversion, Race tech goldvalves, J series front brake assembly, air-box snorkel removed, Acerbis Headlight, KX450F Front fender, Pro Taper RM bend bars, ASV front Brake lever, MSR Clutch perch and lever, RB Head mod, 36mm PWK carb, Trail Tech Kickstand.
KDXMainer

No Spark

Post by KDXMainer »

Broke off flush. The coil needs to be rewound or replaced.
2006 KDX200
1998 KDX220
KDXMainer

No Spark

Post by KDXMainer »

The cost of having it rewound isn't worth it. So my next question is if I buy a used stator plate with the winding should I get a 97 or am I better off getting one from the newest bike possible. There's a couple on eBay for $148 from a 2005 KDX 200. There even a guy selling the entire wiring harness with all the compontants for like $270. Or I can buy just the coil and sodier it in myself for 30 bucks.
2006 KDX200
1998 KDX220
KDXohio
Supporting Member

Post by KDXohio »

I personally would not buy a new Stator, too expensive if you can't extract the screw yourself take it to a machine shop they won't charge you much to pull that out if they charge you at all, however if you're comfortable you can Center punch the bolt drill it out and put a helicoil n to repair the threads

This is the coil I bought when my ignition Source coil went out I have been running this coil for three years now no problems
http://www.ebay.com/itm/121290288398

You should be able to repair your stator for under $50
1990 KDX200 FMF Fatty, Answer VFC silencer, VForce 3 Cage, Wiseco Piston, KX125-J series KYB USD fork conversion, Race tech goldvalves, J series front brake assembly, air-box snorkel removed, Acerbis Headlight, KX450F Front fender, Pro Taper RM bend bars, ASV front Brake lever, MSR Clutch perch and lever, RB Head mod, 36mm PWK carb, Trail Tech Kickstand.
Gixxer340
Supporting Member I
Supporting Member I

No Spark

Post by Gixxer340 »

KDXMainer wrote:The ignition coil on the stator plate is bad. Last night I thought the top winding was that coil. After doing some reading I soon realized the sealed coil on the bottom is the ignition winding. Of course that's the one that was sitting in the bath of water. Every screw on the plate came loose except one(of course). that one's head broke off instead of coming loose. So now I have to deal with drilling that out and either replacing the coil or having it rewound or just replacing the whole assembly with a used eBay one. The moment I lifted the coil from the plate one of the wires just fell off. So that's the latest. Thanks to everyone who replied on this thread. I'll post when it's running. Gixxer340.... Wish you had beaten me to this one as well
I have been watching this thread unfold and really feel for you. I was seriously looking at that bike (it looked good in the pictures). Just sad that anyone had to get saddled with so many issues. Have you contacted the seller? He must have known. Any help there?

Good luck getting through it. Hope we can meet up some day for a ride somewhere.

Jeff
- 2001 KDX200 - KX front forks, RB head and carb mods, Gnarly pipe

-The true measure of a man is how he treats someone who can do absolutely nothing for him - unknown
KDXMainer

No Spark

Post by KDXMainer »

Ordered a new "source coil" from ricks in hamsphstead. So I'll have that tomorrow. Tried to drill out the snapped off mounting screw. That didn't go so well. The bit went sideways and broke the mounting post. Now I need a new stator plate. Guess what Kawasaki doesn't sell just the plate you have to buy the whole stater . Everyone on eBay comes with the coils for going from $95 up. Unless I can Micky rig the plate they'll be more expenses and waiting. I'm done with it for today. Going to ride my 200
2006 KDX200
1998 KDX220
KDXMainer

No Spark

Post by KDXMainer »

Well I been working on this bike since 9am this morning. Got it all back together with a new stator coil. The bike now has spark. I set the plate adjustment screws in the middle as that's where they were when I took it off. Put the whole bike back together. Put my riding gear on went to start it..... No start. Brought it back into the garage took the tank off verified Spark again then squirted starter fluid in the cylinder. Still nothing.... Not even a pop. Now my stator plate has no marks on it at all. I tried moving the plate forward a little put the flywheel back on.... Still nothing.

Can anyone post a picture of a stator plate showing the timing marks? I been messing with this for 9 hours. This bike is consuming my life. Instead of going away riding this weekend I'm sitting here by myself starting at this bike.

Second question.... I looked at the picture I took before removing the stator. I did notice I have the coil on backwards from the way the old one was mounted... It other words the ground wire should be on the left and mine is on the right.

Could this be the problem or does it not matter? I really don't see why it would make any difference. Please someone get back to me I do not want to waste another day on this or bring it to a shop after all this. Pictures, advice please.
2006 KDX200
1998 KDX220
KDXGarage
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by KDXGarage »

Some recent thread mentioned someone having it on backwards, upside down or something like that. Good luck with it.
Thank you for participating on kdxrider.net. :bravo:
To post pictures from a device: viewtopic.php?f=88&t=24128
KDXMainer

No Spark

Post by KDXMainer »

It's not upside down its just backwards.
2006 KDX200
1998 KDX220
KDXMainer

No Spark

Post by KDXMainer »

Anybody???? As far as I can tell no one has ever asked this specific question anywhere on the Internet? I really don't want to tear the harness apart and break the locktighted bolts since I've already sealed and zip tied everything.
2006 KDX200
1998 KDX220
KDXMainer

No Spark

Post by KDXMainer »

I flipped the coil around and it runs. Now I know why I put it on backwards. It came from ricks with the little grind wire on one way. I knew it was suppose to face up. They just folded it over in the wrong direction. Time to get drunk.
2006 KDX200
1998 KDX220
KDXGarage
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by KDXGarage »

heh-hell yeah. Glad you got it repaired.
Thank you for participating on kdxrider.net. :bravo:
To post pictures from a device: viewtopic.php?f=88&t=24128
rehammer81

Post by rehammer81 »

Shred that sh!t!!!!