Scotts steering damper questions

Got questions? We got answers....
trail70
Supporting Member

Post by trail70 »

Anyone with a Scotts steering stabilizer on their KDX? I'm hoping to find a good used one for my 220 and I have a couple questions before I buy -
I know I'll probably wind up buying a new mount kit from scotts but will any scotts damper bolt up and work? I'm thinking not but looking input from folk who are using one. Thx
gots_a_sol

Post by gots_a_sol »

There are 2 types of Scotts, street and dirt. They are physically the same on the outside, but they dampen differently. You don't want a street damper in the dirt. Simple explanation is the street dampens both ways from center while the dirt only dampens out from center and is free to return back.

The arm on the damper is changeable for different applications so if you buy a used one it may need a different arm.
-Joe

Husky WR177 - KX125 (200 soon)
bufftester
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Re: Scotts steering damper questions

Post by bufftester »

One of the nice things about the Scotts is that it is easily moved from bike to bike. Reliable and once you mount one up you won't waqnt to ride without one again. I used to run one, but have been using a W.E.R. on the KDX for the last couple years. Not quite as fancy, but super simple and works great. I also like that it bolts up at the bottom of the triples so it doesn't compete for any space around the bars.
royadams
Supporting Member I
Supporting Member I

Post by royadams »

Ive got the W E R dampner on my hybrid bike as well. Works great. The odd thing is if you walk over and move the bars on my bike you would not even know it was there. But ride the bike with or without it its a big difference. My brother in law has the gpr if you move his bars you can feel the resistance.
Julien D
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by Julien D »

I run a W.E.R. as well. Works great and I was able to pick it up used on the cheap.
Sullyfam
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Sullyfam »

I've used Scotts without any issues for +10yrs. I am sure the others are fine, just noting my experience. If you search eBay and are patient you can usually find one for far less than new.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
trail70
Supporting Member

Post by trail70 »

Thanks for the info everyone. I wasn't even aware of the WER. I see one on ebay off an EXC. Wondering how much fab would be involved moving the EXC setup WER over to my KDX . Is the damper base plate universal and do you drill your lower triple to fit it? Also wondering about clearance through the headlight mask? I'd have to come up with a KDX frame bracket - Contacted WER and they have a KDX mount kit for $100. So if the auction goes my way I could be into a WER setup for $200 give or take. Really need to get something fitted soon - Riding season is just getting started around here :lol:
royadams
Supporting Member I
Supporting Member I

Post by royadams »

Mine was off of a ktm as well. I had to drill new holes in the plate that matched my fender bolts. It was no big deal.
Julien D
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by Julien D »

Yeah, the WER bolts on between the front fender and lower triple, so it's easy to drill a couple holes in any plate and bolt it up. Mine came of a yammy, and 2 of the holes lined up. I only needed to drill 2 new ones.
royadams
Supporting Member I
Supporting Member I

Post by royadams »

Here is one for $25 i sent mine to be rebuilt i think is was like $75.if you dont want it let me know i might buy it just because its cheap.

[urlLook at this on eBay http://www.ebay.com/itm/162222041377][/url]