strange steering stem fit

Got questions? We got answers....
kaw814

Post by kaw814 »

sorry guys...had to leave the site for awhile. I had the awful experience of attempted identity theft and wanted to get offline for awhile while i sorted that mess out. Changed passwords, bank accounts etc., just wanted to get that all behind me. My question to the wise ones here..i recently installed new steering head bearings and races and am having trouble getting the upper triple clamp to screw conpletely on. The nut needs to go down at least 1/4" to be secured fully. The races are all the way in, the bottom bearing is pressed all the way on and the bottom of the stem is flush with the bottom of the triple clamp. Ill try to get some pics up..in the meantime does anyone know the length of a 2003 kdx 220 steering stem...its almost as if the stem is too short. thanks again for the help throughout the last year...these are nice bikes.
pumpguy
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by pumpguy »

With a tape measure passed through from end to end, my steering head stem measures 10 13/16" long.
kaw814

Re: strange steering stem fit

Post by kaw814 »

all good in green mans cave...spanner was on upside down. sometimes ya just gotta take it apart and do it over. front end is super tight..i had my shock rebuilt and replaced the shock linkage bearings. this thing feels awesome...it doesnt have that "loose" feel to it anymore