Got questions? We got answers....
RhinoKeegan
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Engine revs high on intitial startup and too much smoke

Post by RhinoKeegan »

Hey everybody,

1995 KDX 200

When starting the bike cold the engine will rev/race for several (up to maybe 10) seconds. After that initial bit I can get the idle under control and it never does it again. it'll idle for as long as I want, and then restarts are just fine. Seems to run great. The engine will load up a bit when putting around the yard with the kids, but it cleans up just fine when I get on it. Any advice about where to start looking would be appreciated.

Also, it seems to smoke quite a bit even after warming up. I've changed the packing in the muffler and leaned out the jetting a little but still getting smoke. Running about 34:1 oil ratio and thought about going up to 40 or 45:1.

Thanks again!

Oh, and the forks are leaking - but that's under control.
firsthere
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Engine revs high on intitial startup and too much smoke

Post by firsthere »

All my KDX's have done that. Try turning on the light to reduce it a bit if it gets too high for your liking or toggle the choke on/off.

They always seem to be loaded up right after initial startup, you can hold the throttle wide open (once warmed up) for a second or two to clear it out or get on it thru the gears. A good indication the bike is warmed up is by the idle (off choke) calms down to normal.
RhinoKeegan
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Re: Engine revs high on intitial startup and too much smoke

Post by RhinoKeegan »

Thanks firsthere. I also read somewhere that if you tip the bike side to side it'll start without the over-rev. Haven't had a chance to try that one yet. Still trying to get the smoking under control. No one likes to follow behind me.