Carrying extra gas

Got questions? We got answers....
Mark W
Supporting Member III
Supporting Member III

Carrying extra gas

Post by Mark W »

Anyone ever do this? My son and I are planning our next summers rides and I can see that his KX65 will potentially have some troubles on distance travelled per tank of gas. It is a small tank to begin with and that bikes really goes through the stuff.

Besides pre-placement of gas, what else can be done? I got some nice bottles from work that will hold some gas and I figure that some tubing carried along could be used to siphon gas from my bike to his.

How about a camelback filled with pre-mixed gas (I'm kiddin, I'm kiddin). Wonder if anyone has ever done this though? I'd bet it has happened and someone has caught on fire doing so.

Thanks -

Mark
m0rie
Supporting Member I
Supporting Member I

Post by m0rie »

I've used saline solution bottles strapped to the headlight before. Nice thick bottles with flat sides so they tie down easily.
1989 KDX 200
2007 TTR-50E
skipro3
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by skipro3 »

There is a front # plate that is a gas tank as well as side # plate for a gas tank. I've seen both on eBay for sale. Not cheap but safe.
DO NOT wear gasoline on your body. Well, unless your a suicidal bomber that is. If you do, I will flick a cigarette butt in your direction just to watch you dance scarecrow!!! Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha !!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Jerry

I'd rather be a smartass like carvr, than a dumbass like.... well, you fill in the blank!
KanuckKDX

Post by KanuckKDX »

Whoops. I really did annoy the monkey. That is a wild avatar Ski.
KanuckKDX
'01 YZ426F son's
'02 XR400 still for sale
'04 KTM 450exc it's all about the e-start
Colorado Mike
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Colorado Mike »

backpacking shops usually carry aluminum bottles with very secure screw tops for carrying fuel in your backpack. They're bound to be cheaper than the number plate setups, and you could probably rig a way to secure them to the bikes. The bottles come in different sizes, check out REI or similar stores.
Mike

Life's tough, it's even tougher if you're stupid.
'04 KDX220
4Rider
Supporting Member III
Supporting Member III

Post by 4Rider »

Acerbis makes a front number plate/fuel bottle that fits the small KXs. A friend had one on a KX100. I think it held about 2 or 3 litres of fuel, definitely enough to make a big difference on a bike that only holds a little over a gallon to start with.

Mike mentioned the aluminum backpacking fuel bottles. Campmor, a long-time catalog and now internet based discount camping supplier, seems to have the best prices around. Here is a link to a 33 oz aluminum bottle. We have used these with very good luck. They are almost indestructable. I have a couple that are all bent up from years of use (almost 30).

http://www.campmor.com/webapp/wcs/store ... d=12500226

If you order any of these, order replacement gaskets/o-rings at the same time.

Mark
'02 KDX 220, '06 KTM 525 EXC Dualsport (CA Plated) '00 KTM 640 Adventure R (for sale), '04 KTM 400 EXC, '96 Honda XR400R Dualsport (CA Plated), Were not lost, we're right here......
IdahoCharley
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by IdahoCharley »

The number plate/tank set-up works well and holds .8 gallons of fuel. Comes with tubing which siphon feeds to your main tank. Use to have one and I think it was about $40 new. Also their is a cross-bar mounted 1 liter fuel bottle that can be strapped on - 'Maier' used to make it. I used these in the past myself and they can be handy - leave the mounting system on the cross bar and strap on the water bottle for the shorter trips.
KTM 380EXC Mine
KDX 200 Mark's
TTR 125 L Wife's
KDX 200 Austin's
EC 300 Tyson's
WR430 Husky - mine