Kdx worth keeping?

Got questions? We got answers....
SamJ

Kdx worth keeping?

Post by SamJ »

Hello all. I recently bought a Kdx 220 2003 last spring and I've come up with a list of things wrong with it. I can't decide to do the work myself or just sell it. I don't have much time to ride (once a week) and am just wondering how much it will take to get the bike in better shape. Here a list of what's needed plus a KIPs question/video. The bike needs new:

Muffler packing
Pipe dent removed
Bearings in the shock (the defective swing arm one or whatever it's called)
Jetting? I'm pretty sure the bikes running too rich ( spark plug/splooging)
Also after investigation I don't think my power valves are working A1. After taking the little cap off to see it hopefully moving I noticed it just had a little twitch. That's all. I took a video and I'll try to attach it. Anyway that's all. I'd appreciate some feed back on what's priority to fix, cost and time. Thank you!!
pumpguy
Gold Member
Gold Member

Kdx worth keeping?

Post by pumpguy »

Muffler packing: Unless it's an aftermarket, the stock muffler / spark arrestor doesn't use packing. If aftermarket, re-packing is no big deal really. Some guys use copper or stainless steel pot scrubbers which you can get at the supermarket for a couple $.

Pipe dent: Unless it's really bashed in, this doesn't seem to have too much effect on performance. Now, if you don't like the way it looks, well that's something else. If your pipe is an aftermarket, these can affect performance too. For the 220, IIRC, the Woods pipe is NOT recommended. Also, there are many firms that do dent removal for not an unreasonable charge. Also there are many videos online showing dent removal using compressed air and a torch. Some use expansion of freezing water too.

Jetting: That's something we all have to deal with, and many factors are involved. Search Jetting Guide on this site for more info.

Power Valves: These need to be cleaned from time to time and definitely affect performance if they're not working right. Also, there is a possibility they are not assembled properly. There is an error in the factory manual which results in wrong assembly / timing.

All in all, there shouldn't be a lot of $ involved here, just time and care.

Words of advice:

1) GET A MANUAL. This is without a doubt the best tool you can get for your KDX.
2) CHECK THE PISTON. 220s are notorious for their pistons going to pieces, frequently doing VERY SERIOUS damage to the engine including the cylinder and cases. If you have a stock piston, change it to an aftermarket forged type. Wiseco is the usual replacement. Again, there are many posts on this site about 220 pistons.
3) Check all the bearings. These include wheel, suspension linkage, and steering head. These are frequently neglected and should always be checked on a new-to-you bike.

These should get you on the road to a good running KDX. Maybe you will want to make other changes too but these should be enough for now.

Welcome to the group. Good luck with your 220.
Julien D
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Re: Kdx worth keeping?

Post by Julien D »

Well I guess the first question is what did you pay for it? What do you think you could sell it for? That's up to you...

The short answer is you have a KDX. You can throw minimal effort at it and get years of service in return.

it's a 220, so rebuild the top end. The rest of the things you mention are pretty minor. But again, what did you pay for it compared to what you will need to put into it...

Welcome to KDXRIDER!
J.
doakley
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by doakley »

The things you describe are really rather minor and fall under routine or periodic maintenance. The exception is the piston. Heed the advice of those more experienced here about changing the piston. I'd do it even if I knew it already had a Wiseco in it just so I would know what I was starting with on the top end. Do not fall into the trap of believing it must be ok because it's been running "all this time."

Don't get overwhelmed. With a good manual, like the Cyclepedia linked on this site, you can do all the things you asked about yourself.

BTW, why do you think it needs rejecting? Ride it first (after you put in a new piston, rings, pin, clips, top bearing and gaskets, and a fresh plug).
canamfan
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Kdx worth keeping?

Post by canamfan »

I wish I had one day a week to ride, no matter what bike you buy it will need "stuff" done to it. Even if you buy a new bike, maybe even more with a new bike, getting it set up for your likes takes time. If you don't have time to do the work pay to have it done, if you can't afford to pay to have it done or just don't have the time to learn and do it yourself maybe you need to take up golf. good luck
SamJ

Kdx worth keeping?

Post by SamJ »

I bought the bike for 2300$ Canadian. Thanks for the help everyone. This gives me a lot to think about

Also the compression is at 140 psi and the previous owner said it was replaced with the wiseco piston already. I know it's not worth risking but man I'd like to nit rebuild. I will if I end up keeping tho.
SamJ

Post by SamJ »

Also here's the video to my kips problem. It's not the best sorry

SamJ

Kdx worth keeping?

Post by SamJ »

Also the front suspension is clicky/grindy but functional. This kinda scares me. What does a Kdx like the one I've got usually sell for anyway?
Julien D
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by Julien D »

Fork seals and oil is pretty easy. Those kips valves probably just need to be cleaned. They tend to get gummed up and stuck. It's really difficult to give a price on a bike sight unseen. I'd say at least 1500 USD in my area.