Radio set ups?

Got questions? We got answers....
Colorado Mike
Gold Member
Gold Member

Radio set ups?

Post by Colorado Mike »

Do any of you use FRS type radios while riding? If so, do you have any recommendations for rigging your helmet? I use the Motorola Talkabout FRS radios while skiing, and just use a little headset with a push to talk button. I'd like to set up my kid's and my helmet to allow us to use them while riding. I haven't had good success with voice activated mics, so figured a PTT button on the bars would work, but would prefer to keep everything on the rider, since getting off the bike without unplugging is bound to break something, not to mention being out of contact if you forget to plug in. Come to think of it, keeping everything on the rider would be much better, since when my son crashes, it's usually pretty spectacular and he once was a good ways from his bike and not moving well. Any ideas?
Mike

Life's tough, it's even tougher if you're stupid.
'04 KDX220
canyncarvr
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by canyncarvr »

re: Do any..

Yes. Well, GMRS these days.

There have been PTT threads from quite a few riders over the years, the majority end up not liking it for exactly the reasons you list.

A PTT setup generally includes speakers, doesn't it? The ones I've seen do, anyway. That's another problem. You can put speakers in helmets, wire the PTT button to the front of the helmet. Then the speakers fall out, reduce the ability to hear...and you can't hear them real well to start with.

Besides, what's the kid going to do with his MP3 player buds?

If you find something that DOES suit you, I hope you post some notes about it. What works best for me is strapping the radio to my chest protector.

Radios come with their own set of problems, anyway. My experience is that while they certainly can be helpful, critically necessary even, they are more often a pain than anything else. That, 'natch' has to do with the way they are used. If I'm calling someone it's because I want to know where they are or that they are OK. To later hear:
'Yeah, I heard you call, but I was busy!' or,
'You called? I don't have my radio on.' or,
'My radio doesn't work. The batteries were dead this morning and I didn't bother changing them.' or,
'I didn't hear because my radio is stuck in my boot!' or,
'mumf brmb eruio hjioew hhmmm duh' or,
'Ihadsomeoatmealforbreakfasthismorningandacupofcoffeebutdidyouseethe
raceslastnightandwowIcoulduseabeerrightaboutnowwherethehelldidthatpoll
ockgoanywayI'mlosthowaboutyouyeahit'sfrickincoldouthereIwantmymommy!!'

With SOME attention to SOME detail and SOME common sense used, a radio is a required part of your safety gear, sez me.

..well, you didn't ask about most of THAT, huh?

BTW...
The FCC wrote:The General Mobile Radio Service (GMRS) is a personal radio service available to
an individual (one man or one woman).
How RUDE! (as my kids would say). Are they saying 'persons' of indeterminate gender canNOT use a GMRS radio? So....1/2 of Ashland (for example) cannot use radios? THAT'S not FAIR!

Consider the source
Using a perceived level of knowledge to boost my self worth.
Non impediti ratione cogitationis

bike profile: !clicky!
canyncarvr
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by canyncarvr »

Uh oh...my above post is about a brazillian character line length for some reason?

:hmm:

Consider the source

m0rie
Supporting Member I
Supporting Member I

Post by m0rie »

I'll second CC's approach. Zip ty the radio to the chest protector right at the top with a little slack and you can pull it up into the helmet to talk into it. With the volume up all the ways you can hear somebody talking while your riding. I stop then and ask them to repeat if I couldn't catch it all.
1989 KDX 200
2007 TTR-50E
skipro3
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by skipro3 »

Same here. Strapped to my chest or to my map holder on my bars were it faces me and turned up loud. I can't understand anything, but know someone is calling. Then I stop, turn off the bike and ask for a repeat. It's for emergencies; not chatting as you ride. I know there are ear buds that include bone conduction mics. If one were available for these types of radios, I've not seen them. If they were, you could mount the radio to your helmet and use it that way. I've seen tons of wireless intercoms for rider / passengers on motorcycles. Even ones that allow a group of street riders to talk freely back and forth. But in the forest with it's terrain, trees and riding seperations, I don't think that's the way to go. Keep it simple and be sure to discuss the radio's operation and appropriate use with the group before you head out for the day. Be sure you all have the radio on the same channels. Discuss what to do if injured or separated. When we ride in a group we always plan on staying together, but still buddy up. One person responsible to STAY with one other person at all times. If you don't see him, FIND HIM!!! This came apparently useful when riding moonrocks last Monday when the last two riders in our group took the wrong branch riding a sand wash. (Don't ask how; there was fresh dusting of snow and 4 other riders marking tracks and still they took the wrong way) The two riders had each other for company and aid if one got hurt. We had a plan to meet at a microwave site if we seperated. We were all rejoined within 30 minutes and back to riding. Extreemly important if you don't know a riding area. With temps in single digits, lost in that desert with fog and lightly snowing would have been a death sentance. Keep it safe!!!
Jerry

I'd rather be a smartass like carvr, than a dumbass like.... well, you fill in the blank!
m0rie
Supporting Member I
Supporting Member I

Post by m0rie »

CM - Take a look at this link over at KTMtalk.

http://ktmtalk.com/index.php?showtopic=666
1989 KDX 200
2007 TTR-50E
canyncarvr
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by canyncarvr »

The error returned was:
Sorry, you are not allowed to read this topic - it is either a private category for Team KTMTalk members or, it is restricted for validated members (no guests).

Consider the source

Mark W
Supporting Member III
Supporting Member III

Actually...

Post by Mark W »

There is an accessory that you can buy that has an earbud and a PTT button on a little microphone. I don't have the info in front of me but I do own 2 of them for my Motorola family band radio. Works fairly well inside a helmet.

The earbud goes, well, uh, in your ear. From the earbud there is a wire that is connected to a PTT button. This button is small and can be taped or velcroed to your helmet right in front of your mouth. Then the same wire goes down and plugs into the radio that you can keep on you camelback or wherever.

I'll see if I can find more info on it when I get home.
m0rie
Supporting Member I
Supporting Member I

Post by m0rie »

Well that sucks. Hold on and i'll copy out the info.
1989 KDX 200
2007 TTR-50E
Mr. Wibbens
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by Mr. Wibbens »

Radios?

Warning! This member tends to use sarcasm as a regular form of communication. If a post seems offensive, before you panic and fly off the handle, re-read the post and imagine it being said with a sideways grin.
((Bike Profile))
((Pics))
FIVE OUT OF FOUR PEOPLE DONUT UNDERSTAND FRACTIONS
m0rie
Supporting Member I
Supporting Member I

Post by m0rie »

Motocomm makes a add on unit as well that you might want to look at.

From the link:

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If anybody wants to make one of these radios here is the instructions.

Buy a Cheap Family Radio Service set of walkie talkies (Not Motorola) (AudioVox works Good) Buy a set that has jacks that will accept a Mini plug that can be bought at Radio Shack for the Head Set. Motorola uses a special plug that is the same size in diameter but is a little longer. You can not buy this plug for a Motorola.

Buy a Radio Shack 8 ohm 1" diameter speaker $3.79. The one I buy has a clear plastc cover over the actual speaker.

Use good speaker wire and wire the Jack to the radio with a Trailer (2 Pin) connector just at the back of the Helmet. The Trailer connector is for easy Disconnect without removing the radio each time you take your Helmet off. Velcro the back of the Speaker inside the helmet.

Go to Walmart and buy a Nylon CD zipper bag. Attach the bag to the rear of the Chect Protector with Wire Ties.

Put the Radio in the Bag and your good to go.

You can do this with Motorola but you have to buy their Head set with the small external speaker. You must then cut off the boom mike and apperatus that attaches to the ear. Then Velcro the speaker inside the helmet. I tried enabling talk back but got motor noise, singing, and various other noises when I really needed him to hear.

If you are racing in a Populated heavy use area. You can buy Motorolas that give you multiple privacy options including scrambling for about $100 dollars per radio, plus extra radio $100, plus Head Set $30 Plus Cd Case $6

So far this has not been a problem, in fact when we raced in one of the Arenas some people were using our channel and was very quite once they heard us talking.
1989 KDX 200
2007 TTR-50E
Mark W
Supporting Member III
Supporting Member III

Here it is

Post by Mark W »

I don't know if I have this one or some other unit but the concept and actual use is the same. You can buy these things at Radio Shack (or Best Buy) for around $10.00

http://www.audiorex.com/finalitem_1.cfm?pID=3163
Indawoods
Creator and Founder
Creator and Founder

Post by Indawoods »

*** Administrator //***
****'95 KDX 200/****

"People ate cows a thousand years ago for the same reason we eat them now. Cause they are easy to catch.We're not savages,we're just lazy. A cheetah could taste like chocolate heroin. But will never know. Those bastards are fast!!! "
KanuckKDX

Post by KanuckKDX »

>|<>QBB<
Indawoods wrote:These are pretty nice...

http://www.gpsdiscount.com/products/index.html?p=695
I "need" these now.

I have been carrying my GPS in a mount on the bars and my radio in the Camelbak for emergencies. I never knew I "needed" one unit for both until now.
$$$$$ for more toys. And my KDX rebuild from the bottom up is almost done.
Riding starts in May. Golf April 1. Winter drags on.
KanuckKDX
'01 YZ426F son's
'02 XR400 still for sale
'04 KTM 450exc it's all about the e-start
m0rie
Supporting Member I
Supporting Member I

Post by m0rie »

The Rino's are nice, but too pricey in my opinion. The 110's need to be $50-$75 each.
1989 KDX 200
2007 TTR-50E
Indawoods
Creator and Founder
Creator and Founder

Post by Indawoods »

I don't think they are all that much considering what they are and do.
Buy a set of 110's for $290..... That's only $145 a piece.

I mean if your gonna flip the jack for radio's anyway, get something that can help you get back to camp if you do get separated and have no radio reception. Plus, you can locate your buddy if they can't talk and are hurt. Peer-to-Peer positioning ROCKS! :supz: :grin:
*** Administrator //***
****'95 KDX 200/****

"People ate cows a thousand years ago for the same reason we eat them now. Cause they are easy to catch.We're not savages,we're just lazy. A cheetah could taste like chocolate heroin. But will never know. Those bastards are fast!!! "
Colorado Mike
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Colorado Mike »

Good info, and thanks. My main motivation is in being able to tell my son when he's going the wrong way, before it's too late. He has an amazing ability to miss the most obvious turns, and wander around in a dry creekbed or something. That's why I'd like to have him able to hear me scream at him without having to stop and mess with the radio. Of course, another option is the shock collar system they use on hunting dogs. I could just have a little button near my kill switch and tell him "when it hurts, go back!" :lol:
Mike

Life's tough, it's even tougher if you're stupid.
'04 KDX220
Rod Smith
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by Rod Smith »

My sons and I use radios on single track trails to save time etc. We use Motorola FRS Talkabouts with the motorcycle kits from the link below. They make two kinds of PTT buttons. One goes on your handlebar which stinks but the mini button that goes on your index finger works great. You have to ask for it but it is available. Works great for me. I am in the process of splicing that heaset able into the second channel of my camcorder so I can get the radio conversation on the video.

http://www.csonline.net/crawford/Motoco ... adsets.htm
2000 KDX 220