New to me KDX220 Won't Idle

Got questions? We got answers....
LKNBigFish
Supporting Member I
Supporting Member I

New to me KDX220 Won't Idle

Post by LKNBigFish »

This is a low hours completely stock KDX220 and I am having trouble getting it to idle. It starts first kick and seems to run well albeit a little flat in 1st and 2nd, but I've never had a 220 and have read that is what you get without a pipe, etc. I cleaned the card, removed the jets, they were fine (soaked them and ran a carb wire thru them). I did not dip or soak the carb itself, I have read that can cause issues, but I can't guarantee it has not been dipped before I picked it up.. I cleaned out the tank, replaced the fuel lines, added a fuel filter (idle problem exists with and without the fuel filter). Turning the screw does not seem to change the idle much if any. If I give it a little twist every few seconds, she runs fine, but if I let off the throttle, the rpm's drop below what seems normal to me, then it dies, but it will start back up easily, but I think I am giving it a little throttle on the restart, I'll have to pay better attention.

What's my next step? Any help would be much appreciated.

(I am aware of the piston issue and will be doing a top end after shoulder surgery in November, going to just ride her easy with the kids until then and hope she doesn't blow)
Tyl3r
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Re: New to me KDX220 Won't Idle

Post by Tyl3r »

Ive been dealing with a 220 that I couldn't get to idle. The stock piston just let loose, so I figured out my problem haha. I would HIGHLY suggest not riding anymore at all and replacing that piston. Mine took a chunk out of the cylinder, scratched the walls all up, and dumped a bunch of pieces into the bottom end. So on top of a usual top end, I need a weld repair and replate, and pay someone to split the cases and rebuild the bottom (I'll let someone else do that part lol). Here is everything that I went thru first. If yours still won't idle after that, try this stuff...

Jet block gasket. U can get them from jets r us and they are like 3 or 4 bucks. Solves this issue for a lot of people. Did you run a wire thru the jets to make sure they are clear while you were in there?

The intake boot between the reeds and carb; if that's cracked, it will suck in extra air and not run right. Cracked or worn reeds will also mess with the idle

You could also replace the packing in the silencer. If it's packed full of sponge and turning slimey, it will make it run funny too because it's trying to push all that gunk out.

Too much oil on the air filter will make it run rich.

Check the float height. Make sure the plastic tip on the valve is nice and smooth with no steps in it.

For mine, I checked compression, 120psi. Owner said it had a wiseco in it when he bought it. I trusted him, seemed legit. Please learn from my mistake lol and clean the power valves out real good too while you're in there. Here is a great write up on it http://www.thumpertalk.com/topic/657765 ... to-kdx200/

Good luck to ya!
05 KX220 Hybrid all decked out
LKNBigFish
Supporting Member I
Supporting Member I

Re: New to me KDX220 Won't Idle

Post by LKNBigFish »

Thanks for the info