Woods Pipe Needle?

Got questions? We got answers....
chippy

Woods Pipe Needle?

Post by chippy »

Has anyone actually tried the R1173L needle that FMF recommends with the woods pipe? (vs. the stock needle) I have an 06 KDX200 that I recently put this pipe on. I am just curious if this is worth trying. Jetting now - MJ:160, PJ:40, stock needle with the clip in the middle. 3000'-5000' altitude. It runs pretty good now. A little more low-mid snap would be nice though. Is it worth it to advance the timing a few degrees as well? Any thoughts?
Willbilly

Re: Woods Pipe Needle?

Post by Willbilly »

FMF doesn't have a recommendation for a 2006 kdx200 that I could find. I could only find their recommendations for models up to 2004.

http://www.fmfracing.com/RiderSupport/JettingCenter
pumpguy
Gold Member
Gold Member

Woods Pipe Needle?

Post by pumpguy »

All Kawasaki KDX 200 since 1995 are the same.

FMF's jetting recommendations for 1500' elevation are as follows:

MJ ............ 155 or 160
PJ ........... 45 or 48
NEEDLE ..... 3rd position
AS ........... 1.5 turns out

Also recommended is to remove snorkel from air box lid.

No mention is made of the needle, so assume this is with stock needle in good condition.

This should be a good starting point. As they say, your mileage may vary.

Let us know how you make out. Good luck.
cornishwrecker220

Post by cornishwrecker220 »

The R1173L needle is standard OE on the 220....its half a clip richer than the 200s R1174K OE needle .
CAL-kawi

Woods Pipe Needle?

Post by CAL-kawi »

Advancing the timing should help, but if you really want snap in the mid range, try the cel needle. Although I didn't like the woods pipe with c needle to be honest. To much punch and then done. The D comes on with more control, and leaves plenty up top too (I'm still using woods pipe and D taper, no need to change!) The C was fun with my PC pipe, which has more rev than the fmf woods. Stock needle was ok, but would either have a lean surge or rich burble that you could never completely get rid of with clip adjustments.
chippy

Post by chippy »

There's that "D-taper" needle again! I have heard that needle brought up in other conversations before. I think that would be the one to try, but I am not sure what or where to get. The needles confuse me. OEM and Keihin use different numbers, which makes it worse! When you say the "C" needle, do you mean CEL? ( I have a Desert pipe as well, that might be fun) Can you give me some part numbers, or full alpha/numeric ID numbers for the needles? I would like to get a couple to play with.
My bike runs real good, but I am a tinkerer by nature. (I've been a drivability tech most of my life) I know there is more to be had with this motor! I would like it a little more 220 like on steep mountain trails. Right now she pulls real good on more open terrain.
Thanks !
CAL-kawi

Woods Pipe Needle?

Post by CAL-kawi »

Jets r us was where I got my needles. I believe the stock is equivalent to a BEQ or so Keihin needle, I can't remember the exact match, but thereabouts. The "C" series needles taper is steeper and starts later than the "B", and D series start even later with more taper than the C. If you have the stock slide you'll probably want a CEL and DEL, possibly a CEM/DEM (they're a little leaner at part throttle). If you have an RB carb, you'll already have a comparable needle.
You'll need to re jet, probably smaller main and pilot, but they carry those too.
I don't remember gaining any low end, but definately mid range and top too with the Del, they were well worth the 6 or so dollars spent on each.
chippy

Post by chippy »

Good info, thanks!
CAL-kawi

Woods Pipe Needle?

Post by CAL-kawi »

Post back if you try them!
I'm considering a small timing advance too if I find the time, not that it needs it, but most of my trails are pretty tight and low end snap means quicker lofting the front over obstacles. We advanced my brother's 200 with the expected gains, but he was running the Cem needle / woods pipe combo and found that it shortened an already too short and punchy power delivery. I think the longer, smoother powerband with the D series needle would have given much better results. Instead he went and bought a new beta 300 he had his eyes on. The beta has an optional bar mounted switch that advances the timing, (but he never uses it because it's just too agressive in the hot map!)
chippy

Woods Pipe Needle?

Post by chippy »

Here's what I am thinking :
Desert pipe : CEL and CEM to try.
Woods pipe (current) : DEL and DEM
I do have both pipes to play with. The carb/slide are stock. It will be fun to play with this in the Spring when the snow is still too deep to ride mountain trails. For now I think I will try dialing in a little timing advance and see what that does. There is already snow in the high country and it may be here to stay. :sad:
Any thoughts?
CAL-kawi

Woods Pipe Needle?

Post by CAL-kawi »

You'll be covered with those needles. 90% the Del is all you need, maybe the Cel if you like a really agressive midrange, and 150 -155 main jets. Your 40 pilot looks pretty good, but if your that lean already you might need the 35-38 as well. That should cover your rejet. Dem and cem are a second thought if you're too rich.
chippy

Post by chippy »

Hey Cal, I now have the above needles in hand! I was thinking of trying them out before the snow flies. (it's getting closer by the day) I was wondering if you guys were running an open air box? Is the lid removed, or just the snorkel? Mine was missing the top when I bought it. I don't think I mentioned that before. That might affect the bottom end somewhat. I do have one available to try if needed. I might also mention that I run my fuel/oil at 50:1. I know that richens things up a tad bit. I am also now running a 42 pilot jet. It runs good, but I know there is a bit more to be had in the mid-range.
chippy

Woods Pipe Needle?

Post by chippy »

Ok, I tried the DEL needle today. I dropped to a 155 mj and 40 pj, middle clip on needle. After warming up, I took a ride. Mid range is much stronger and throttle response is much crisper. I did have to drop the pilot jet to a 38 (where I originally started with the old pipe) to get the air screw in range. (1 3/4 out) I do like this needle much better than stock. I wonder how it compares with the R1173L KDX220 needle FMF recommends? I didn't get to try this combo at altitude because of weather, so it may be Spring before I can continue testing. I still have the other 3 needles to play with. I'm liking this set up a lot, so far.
Thanks for the help!